Search This Blog

Monday, November 2, 2015

NOVEMBER

Hello dear friends!   Hope this finds you all well and safe.   The remnants of Hurricane Patricia have blown the last of the leaves from the trees and the lawn is carpeted in gold.  It's so much fun to go for walks and crunch through them.   It really was a glorious autumn this year.  And El Nino is helping to extend its stay.   Whoever designed this house had planned it well, or perhaps it is just a happy accident, but every morning  the first thing I see  upon arising is the sunrise through the bedroom window.  Today it looked like autumn with it's golds and reds.  There is so much beauty to be found, if we only care to look!
Most people think November is a bleak month, but I think it has a quiet understated beauty.  There's a serenity to it.   Just yesterday we studied the bark on a corkscrew willow.  In the more colorful months, it wouldn't be noticed, but in November, its beauty is revealed.   The dove grayness of the month seems to soften the world.   It seems people are quieter too.   The busyness of summer and the harvest is over and there's more time to just sit and converse. Meals become leisurely once again.  Everything slows down.  November is a wonderful month!

OH NO!-VEMBER

I should get a job in a lemon grove because I sure know how to pick them!   Our car, that we bought when Ran retired, is in the shop once again.   This time it has taken two different mechanics to sort out the problem.   We have decided that we've had enough, so we have to fast track our car savings plan by a couple of years.  (The car is only a few years old and has less just 60,000 miles on it, yet we are afraid to drive it sixty miles away, lest something breaks  and strands us.)   So now we must pare down our spending to buy a new car next year.  We don't believe in going into debt for cars and we don't want to take any money out of our savings or emergency funds (although I guess not having a reliable car could be considered an emergency), so this means that we have to become extremely thrifty in order to save enough for a car that will cost almost our entire yearly income.  We already have some money in our car fund fortunately, as we begin to save for the next car as soon as we buy the first.  Here's some things we plan to do to save money:

1.  Not travel any further than 60 miles from home and travel only once a month.   We live in an isolated area, so we need to travel to buy groceries.  We have a small grocery store here in town but it's outrageously expensive.   Eggs are $4 a dozen.

2.  Heat with wood until the temperatures dip into the 30s.   Thanks to El Nino, we are having a very mild fall and haven't had to use the furnace yet.   We just got our natural gas bill and it was 38% lower than last year's October bill. ($17.01)

3.  Keep our grocery bill to $75 a month.  Thankful we were blessed with a bountiful harvest this year and were well stocked with bulk purchases of flour, sugar, oatmeal, etc.  All we really need to buy is some fruits and green leafy-s, milk, eggs, and occasionally some meat and cheese.

4.  No holiday spending.   Everything will be homemade from supplies we have.  Sorry to all that were expecting a check this year!

5. Continuously examine our budget to find areas that can be improved upon.


GUIDELINES

Whenever money starts flowing from our bank account like a leaky sieve, it is always because we have failed to live by the  spending guidelines we have set for ourselves.   You should always have a guideline on how much you want to spend for a certain item.  For instance,  have you seen the price of clothing? For some reason, I still get a lot of catalogs, although I haven't ordered from one in years.  Who pays $70 for a t-shirt?   Not I, said this cat!   I have a $5 limit on what I'll pay for a t-shirt.   Usually, I pay a lot less, picking them up at garage sales for 25 cents- $1.  Sometimes I buy them at the thrift store for $3.50, but $5 is the top limit for t-shirts and I will not go over that amount even if it's the perfect shade of blue and fits like a dream.

Meat is another area where I set a limit.   The most I'll spend is $2.50  a pound, except at Christmas when we buy our Christmas sausage.   That means we rarely eat hamburgers or much beef. There's lots of meat such as chicken that costs less and you can be sure I''ll be taking advantage of the turkey sales this year.   Even at $2.50 a pound, I limit our meat purchases to just a few pounds a month.  There's plenty of tasty vegetarian recipes to be found.  There's no point in breaking the bank over something like meat.

When our cable bill exceeded  our  guidelines for what we were willing to pay for entertainment, we got rid of it.   Our  internet service is quickly approaching our limit too.

Speaking of cars, one time my husband set out to buy a used car, after looking at all of them, he found one that he wanted to purchase, but it was over the guideline for what we wanted to spend by a several hundred dollars.  He told the salesman that he'd like to buy it, but it was too much and started to walk away.   The salesman stopped him and asked what he would like to spend.   My husband named the price and the salesman agreed to it, saving us a several hundred dollars, all because we had an agreed guideline.

In other words, set guidelines for what you are willing to pay for things and be ready to walk away when the costs goes over.

POWERFUL THRIFTY PHRASE

One of the most powerful phrases you can use to keep your budget under control is "I can't afford it.".  Back in the days when telemarketers were calling on the hour, I learned the one thing that would shut them up was this phrase.   Politely saying "no thanks" or "not interested" never kept them from continuing on with their spiel, but no one can argue with "I can't afford it".  Since then, I've use it at the dentist office when he insists I get my teeth x-rayed every six months.   Funny how you don't need things like bi-yearly x-rays when they discover that they might not get paid!  Tests at the doctor's  office are another one.   I could never figure out why I needed tests for certain cancers that no one in my family has ever had, yet the cancer my father died from is never tested.   Routine tests are given to everyone regardless of their family history.   No one used to get colonoscopies until Katie Couric started her campaign for them.   How many people have you ever heard of dying  from that cancer?   So why do we need to get that tests as soon as you turn 50?   "Can't afford it.", took care of that problem.   Neighbors that want you to give to this fund or that charity, are stopped by the phrase.  And they usually don't ask you again.   Once my sister was complaining about the expense of going out to dinner with here friends, when I told her to tell them that she couldn't afford it, she said "Oh!  I couldn't do that!".  Why not?  It's true isn't it?   She was afraid that they would think she was poor or cheap.   There's no shame in being poor and not being able to afford things.   I'd be more ashamed of being in debt because I spent money on foolishness such as dining out because I was too embarrassed to say  I couldn't afford it.  It's a crazy mixed up world we live in!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

Cowardice asks the question 'Is it safe?'. Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?'. But conscience asks the question 'Is it right?'  And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but because the conscience tells one that it is right

~Martin Luther King, Jr. ~

Loved this man and was so grateful to have been alive when he was making these speeches.  Although I was quite young and only saw him on TV, I still remember it.  Where are the Martin Luther King Jr. s of today?

RECIPE OF THE WEEK

Hope you didn't carve your pumpkin too soon.   You can roast it to make puree for this chili.   Pumpkins go on sale immediately after Halloween.  Guess many people think a pumpkin is only good for carving.  But pumpkins are wonderful fruits that pack a lot of beta carotene into there decorative  little shells.   Plus they are easy to store.  Just keep them in a cool dry place and they'll last for months.   So here's a savory recipe using pumpkins that makes up quick.

Pumpkin Chili

1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 onion
1 green pepper
2 C. pumpkin puree
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 can beans (pinto, kidney, Great Northern, canellini or whatever you have on hand)
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 tbsp. taco seasoning

Brown the sausage with the onions and peppers.  Drain off the fat.
Add remaining ingredients and heat through.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add water if you want a thinner chili.

Sorry no picture, we ate it all before I got a change to snap one.

THRIFTY THINGS WE DID THIS WEEK

Knitted a baby sweater from my yarn stash.
Walked everywhere, thus saved on gasoline.
Bought some hamburg at the reduced for quick sale section of our local butcher's.  Made  meatloaf with it, stretching it with oatmeal and breadcrumbs from stale bread.
Cut down our dying sumacs.  We got about 1/2 cord of wood for next winter from them.
Heated our house with wood.  Haven't had to use the furnace yet!
Bought some chocolates from the after Halloween sale at 50% off.  Will use them for Christmas baking.
Watched several old movies on YouTube for entertainment.
Not much of a list, but sometimes the savings are in just not doing things.  I guess you'd call it "passive saving".

So that's it for this week! Hope you get a chance to get out and enjoy the beauty of November.

Jane




  





20 comments:

  1. Hello Jane, wow you have been working hard. I hope that you manage to get a well deserved rest. November is such a lovely month, it's been very mild here and everything looks so beautiful.The honeysuckle and the sweet peas still keep flowering and they smell amazing when I step into the garden.

    There's something much more satisfying about living within our means rather than over extending. But it's sometimes hard work. Our parents and grandparents managed after the war when food and clothing was rationed. I sometimes think that it made them much more creative and experimental. and that all that walking was really healthy. Good luck with the car, that's a real nuisance. You really need one. I hope that you manage to find a bargain that's much more reliable when you get to change it.

    Once more, thank you for your thrifty ideas...I though of you a couple of days ago when we'd run out of potatoes (I've since dug up a root of them that was hiding in the garden) we'd gone down the lane to buy eggs from a neighbour and spotted a trail of potatoes. They are grown locally and had fallen off a big overloaded trailer. Perfect timing for supper, we collected them on our way home!

    I hope your internet doesn't expire soon, we'll miss your interesting blog posts.
    Take care
    debx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the spirit Debby! Bet the potatoes tasted better just because they were
      a happy find.

      Isn't this the strangest weather? We still have roses blooming! I remember many a Halloween when we had to climb over snowbanks, it's so odd. We really haven't had a good frost yet. Wish I had known that it was going to be this warm last month, I would have planted more lettuce! I'm just hoping that everything is delayed by a month and we'll have winter in June next year.

      I'll probably always have the internet. Become to reliant upon it, which I hate, but I might switch to another company one day..

      Ran just informed me that we need to trim the herbs. We had them all set for the winter but they grew back!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. Oh Jane, so sorry to hear about the trouble with your car. Ahem, you are not alone, although, we have no idea what causes our Altima to run the battery until it's dead, but only about once every 3 or 4 months. Quite puzzling. The shop wants to get their hands on it, but we're praying Goodman will find the problem sooner or later. We are frugal peeps, also. Love the money-saving ideas that you share. I don't work & Goodman will retire in 3 years, Lord willing, so we like to squeeze our dimes until we get a quarter. ;)
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't these car problems the most frustrating? They don't effect the state of the nation, but boy! they sure are hard on the pocketbook! Guess we've become too dependent on automobiles. I always tell my husband that I wished we lived in the horse and buggy days so we could just breed a new horse. Ah progress! Sometimes, I don't think it has improved life at all.

      I think it's quite a fun game to squeeze my pennies until they squeal. It really stretches the creativity muscle. Hope your husband will be able to find the root of the car problem!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Thank you Jane for another post.
    Your posts help me stay calm and collected in my little world where people around me seem to have no budgets.
    I am sorry about your car. I ran mine into the ground - RIP Bess, you made it to 380,000 miles. This time I did have to take out a loan (other issues - not being able to cash paychecks - drained my savings) where I am thankful for the really low rate, I hate having it. Just hate it. I did however decide to push the limit a little an pay it off a year early then planned. I write all this, truly thankful I have this new to me car that will handle PA winter that is approaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in situations when I needed to take out a loan, and like you, I work hard to pay them off early. Just don't like the feeling of indebtedness, so we'll muddle along here, hoping nothing else goes wrong with this car and drive our old truck, which has 200,000 miles on it but I trust more than the new car. One of the advantages of being retired is that I don't need a car to get me to my job. We have a county wide transport that we can take, if we get really desperate. So we'll be fine.

      380,000 miles is remarkable! Now that's a good car! We once had a Subaru back when they first started making them in the 70s that we got over 250,000 miles on. Loved that car, but back then they were made cheap and the body rusted out. We even riveted sheet metal on it to keep it going!

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Jane

      Delete
    2. HA! I know about riveting (and duct tape) - my mechanic would chuckle every year after inspection and say "One more year?". He was quite surprised when I showed up with this one.

      Delete
    3. Whoever invented duct tape is the patron saint of DIYers. Am I the only one that watches the Red Green show for tips?

      Have a good one!
      Jane

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane! Sorry about your car. I hope the next one lasts you until you are in your 80's! We've had one lemon in our past cars. It broke down on the way home from the dealers. My husband pushed it up the road to park it safely, called the dealer and told him to go pick up their car as he was returning it (it was brand new). Well they did, we got a different one, and a few months later someone called us as they had bought the car (as new...the dealer shouldn't have re-sold it as new) and were having big problems with it and strangely saw our name on a paper in the car. We told them the story of that car! anyway, my husband looks up the Kelly blue book value (or Edmunds) and only gives the dealer a small profit when he buys. We've warned our kids that when dad retires Christmas gifts will be cut! They don't mind..they tell us we shouldn't give what we do now.
    love your post as usual. The seasons do let us enjoy the warmth of the indoors and people now!
    I think it is pride that gets in a person's way to not stay within budget. But it also helps to hang around like-minded people! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! First I want to thank you for tempting me with pictures of your cabbage rolls! I can't help thinking about them. Now I'm going to have to spend some time in the kitchen! Ha! Remember back in the 70s there was a columnist for Women's Day or one of those magazines named Peg Bracken. She wrote a cookbook called I Hate to Cook Cookbook. I need to get a hold of a copy!

      Sheesh! Your lemon makes mine look like a prize. We research the Kelly Blue book also before shopping. Strangely, used cars are more expensive here in Michigan, where they are manufactured, then in Wisconsin.

      I always told my kids that once we are retired that all they can expect for Christmas is a package of homemade fudge and handknit socks from us. They said that's fine, but this might be the first year we really keep to our word.

      Pride goes before the fall. I think a lot of the world's woes are do to pride. Sure can see it in the world affairs these days!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Yes, especially in politicians! I heard once that the devil loves to enter into politicians through their pride! I do think used-cars are higher priced these days. I think it is due to Spanish-speaking people, as when I drive locally I see used-car dealerships who have signs in Spanish!

      I am always "touched" if someone gives me a homemade gift. I'm not only impressed of the job they have done, but know it took more care than buying a gift. That cookbook sounds neat....I hate to cook lately! Hugs back! Andrea

      Delete
    3. That a very true saying, Andrea! Pride and arrogance. I think they forgot that they are public servants.

      Someone recently commented to me that I must love to cook. Had to laugh at that one! I try to get in and out of the kitchen as quick as I can and dirty as few dishes as possible. I'd rather spend my time in the garden!

      Jane

      Delete
  5. I agree November is a beautiful month! :) Thanks to El Nino we haven't had our furnace on more than one day so far, although it's looking like we may have it on a bit this week, as our temperatures are finally starting to be a bit chilly. I can definitely relate to your lemon car problems, we have had that same problem for the last couple of years, they just don't make cars like they used to, and the newer cars are much harder to fix without a mechanic which is very annoying to my hubby who used to be able to fix just about anything on a car. We have never gone into debt to purchase a car, and are looking for a new one (new to us) right now for my husband, even with a good amount saved it is is quite tricky, but like you, we definitely want to stick within our budget. My current car was quite a lucky gift to me. My father in law's neighbor crashed his van, fortunately everyone was fine and insurance covered his damage. He didn't want to bother with fixing it, so he gave it to my father in law, just to have it off his hands. My husband, his brother, and my father in law spent about a month putting it back together from used parts, we have a friend who paints cars for a very reasonable price, and so for a very small price I have a very useful van that drives around our whole family as well as a couple of the kids' friends. It was definitely a real blessing! Great post! :) Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April! And the mechanics can't figure out the problems without running them through a computer program. If the computer says it's ok then it doesn't matter if the temp. gauge is telling you otherwise.


      Sounds like you have some handy men in your family! My husband used to be able to do all the tune-up and fix-ups, but now it's always a computer chip problem. Maybe we should buy a vintage car that can be worked on by ourselves. If only it was easy to get the parts!

      That was a nice gift. Good luck with your car hunting!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. Oh, that car! What a terrible frustration! I drive my cars until nothing is left and then sell them for very little. I drove my 2001 Forester for 12 years and had 435,000 miles on it. All I had to do was service it. My "new" one has turned 101,000. When I retire, this car will last the rest of my life...LOL

    Love the pumpkin chili recipe! This sounds wonderful! We put up a lot of butternut squash; I am going to try to substitute it for the pumpkin.

    Our wood / water stove has been off and on for a few weeks now. We had a killing frost and temps in the 20s already...

    Good luck with the car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matty! My son bought a Forester this summer. He says he can't wait for winter to see how it handles in the snow. We had one of the first Subarus back in the early 70s. Loved that car! Nothing ever went wrong with it, except they were made cheaply back then and the body just rusted out, to the point we were afraid that it would break in half. Can't buy a used Subaru around here. People hang on to them.

      You can use butternut squash in the soup. We grow a variety of squash called Mooregold, that we substitute for pumpkin in everything. Have even used it for pumpkin pie. When it comes to pumpkin po-tate-toe, po-tah-toe, all the same.

      It's funny that you've had colder weather than we have further up north. I saw on the weather channel that we are supposed to have a warmer than average winter, whereas your neck of the woods is supposed to be colder. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Ha! Well, at least maybe you'll have a white Christmas!

      Hope you are able to get out and enjoy yourself!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. My philosophy is just about the same when it comes to living a thrifty, frugal life. I save wherever I can so that when there is something I really, really want, I might just have the funds to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the attitude Barbara! The funny thing is, that as I get older, I find that there are very few things I want anymore. But a dependable car would be nice! We were hoping that it would have fallen of the mechanics hoist when it was in the shop. Ha!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Jane

      Delete
  8. Hi Jane, I am so glad to of just found your blog. I've also been living on a shoestring all our married life. With some careful planning and my husband's health problems, he was just able to retire this week. He is 59. Some people are happy for us but many others think he has made a big financial mistake.
    I am thrilled he has retired and will continue to put in the effort to keep him at home.
    It's very nice to a read your blog and "meet" a likeminded couple.m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda! Nice to meet you! Oh I know all about the nay-sayers. I guess it's hard for some people to comprehend that our time together is more valuable then money to buy things. It comes down to what will you regret in your last days, that you didn't have money for trips and expensive cars, etc. or that you didn't have enough time to enjoy each other and your family? I know which I would choose!

      Jane

      Delete