Search This Blog

Thursday, March 26, 2020

It's A Mad, Mad World

Hello dear friends!   Bet you thought you'd never hear from me again.  Today Ginger and Debra left comments, so I thought I'd put my two cents in about what's going on out there.  I won't waste any time about what precautions everyone should be taking, just to say, that if you feel in anyway ill, please be considerate and stay indoors.  Personally, I had a sore throat and cough for weeks before this whole thing started, and not knowing if it was "anything" I opted to stay at home and have my husband doing any necessary running.  BTW, all better now and have been for about ten days.  

What worries more than the pandemic, is what will happen to our economy if things remain closed for as long as some politicians are saying (up to 18 months!).  Our country will never recover from that.  The president wants the country open by Easter, but some of the  governors are saying longer, and since we have a federal government, there's really very little he can do about it. Whatever the case, we better get ready for some lean times.

I have faced lean times myself; as married students, after a major illness of both myself and my husband, when we had two sons in expensive colleges at the same time ($60,000 out of our $70,000 salary), and on a few occasions when he came home and told me that his lab was laying off everyone.  So yeah, I can empathize with everyone that is being laid off now. It seems in life you can only be certain of uncertainty.

WHAT I DID FIRST

The second I learned that I might not have any money coming in, I went around and turned off all the lights and unplugged everything.  This may seem silly, but when every penny counts, it's the sum total of all the little things that will save you.

The next thing I did was cancel all unnecessary things; the cable, the newspaper, the Culligan man.  I would say the cell phone, but most people are unwilling to do that. I manage without one, using a cheap Tracphone to carry in my car for emergencies and we use a MagicJack for a home phone, it costs us  $30 a year for phone service, all together my phone services  costs less than $10 a month.  I do have internet, but the cheapest I can get at $50 a month. This works as my entertainment in lieu of cable and as my phone service with the MagicJack.  I suppose that if I needed to, I could get rid of the cable and use the Tracphone as my only source of communication. But for now that's not necessary.  Just something to think about if you really are in dire straights.

The third step was to take inventory of our pantry.  It is reassuring to see that with a little ingenuity, you won't starve.  Never buy what you can make yourself!  Not only will it be cheaper, it will be better quality and probably healthier.  It's surprising how few things you need to buy when you make everything from scratch.  Crackers, tortillas, bread, pie crusts, rolls, noodles and dumplings are all just some sort of variation of flour, leavening, and fat.  I always buy shortening, yeast, baking soda and baking powder, sugar and flour in bulk and only about twice a year. Just like in the pioneer days. Ha! If times get tough, I dare say that people that do keto, are going to have to give it up or be prepared to pay the piper.  Protein, especially in the way of meat is ultra expensive.  Plain honest foods are and always will be the best.  As a matter of fact, there's a term for it, "whole Foods".  Had to laugh when I read that, because it's a supposed a new-fangled philosophy about eating, yet I, and most of the country folks I know, have been eating that way for centuries.  I guess one of the silver linings of hard times is that people will not be able to afford so much junk food.

The final step was to hold a family meeting.  In these days, we like to coddle our children, but I believe letting the older ones know the situation is character building.  They'll know not to complain and ask for things that cannot be afforded and they will also know not to add anymore stress on mom and pops.  Have them brainstorm for ways to save money and put them in charge of monitoring electrical use, gas consumption, etc.  Maybe than can think of ways to raise a little money by collecting bottle returns or selling some of the games on Ebay.  I truly believe that it times like these that draws families closer together.

SILVER LININGS

And that is the silver lining to this whole mess.  I live in a tiny village.  The entire winter I've only seen a handful of people, but since this lockdown, I've seen families out walking, playing ball, raking their yards.  I was astounded.  I never even knew we had so many young families in the village. As I reflect back on my long life, I can say without a doubt some of the hardest times have also been the most enjoyable.  It strips away all the distractions of modern living and get it down to the brass tacks of life.   Tonight I am sitting here typing this by the light of a kerosene lamp, belly full of a make-do dinner in my cozy tiny living room completely furnished in second-hand goods and I truly feel like the most blessed person on earth. My hope for you all, is that you too can find solace in that fact that even in the hardest of times, there is a certain joy that comes from meeting difficulties head on and knowing that you are capable of overcoming them. And when you do, you will feel invincible!

Hugs
Jane

27 comments:

  1. Dear Jane! I am so happy to see you comment as I was wishing you would. I love your advice...good, solid, old-fashioned common sense.

    Exactly....if money is not there...you "peel away" the bills by cutting the services. I think there is a great sense of satisfaction to gain control and being on top of expenses.

    And yes, my husband was just saying that you would have never known from the past summers even, that there were so many kids in our neighborhood! Everyone out playing and socializing (even if it is one neighbor talking loud to another from across the road!) Keep safe and healthy! hugs,andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice to hear from you Andrea! Hope life is treating you well. Yep, it seems like the good old days, before everyone stayed inside and watched TV. It's actually kind of heartwarming. Stay safe, stay warm!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. Jane, such wonderful words, and yes, we can all make do if we have to.We are in total lockdown, only essential services still operating, the hospital, doctor's surgery ( with a locked door, someone will come when you knock, and you wait in your car) supermarkets, pharmacies and others. I have told myself I can have some fun with fabric when I have finished the curtains, op shop fabric, thermal lining, and bingo!! One is ready to gather the tape and hang. All of us over 70 are urged not to go out at all, and we have wonderful friends who are doing the pharmacy and grocery list. This,too, will pass, but some businesses will pay a huge price and not recover. But lives lost is not an alternative I want to even contemplate. Stay safe, stay snug, stay well up North, with my fondest greetings, Jean down in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean! Yes, I heard NZ is on lockdown. Some of the states are in the U.S., the state I live in (Michigan) is, but the strange thing is that I see more people out and about than I did for the last six months of winter! Sounds like you are still having fun with your sewing and quilting. I've been knitting up a storm. Our thrift store had a sale recently and I bought tons of wool. Should be enough to last a lifetime. Ha! You stay safe also! Pray this soon passes.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. So good to see an experienced blogger come back with some much-needed wisdom for such a time as this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear Jane ~ So wonderful to hear from you. I also turn off all lights. I'm looking at ways to make what I have in my little pantry to last awhile. I am a stay at home person, but am missing seeing my church family and ladies group. Keeping in touch with family via texts and emails. I miss going to the grocery store and veggie market whenever I feel like it. Praying for the whole world as we go and grow through this pandemic. Thanks for posting ~ Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about you Rainey when I read Florida was one of the first states to be locked down. Thank goodness for the internet, it sure does keep one from feeling so isolated. Yes, prayers for all. Did you ever think the world would come to this?

      Love
      Jane

      Delete
  5. So wonderful to hear from you dear Jane. I see good in this too. The humor and generosity of so many. Families being together. Learning new things. Always some blessings to be found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And wonderful to hear from you, Angela! There's so many stories of people doing courageous and good things. That is what we need to focus upon, for sure.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to see your post, as I'd been thinking some words of wisdom from Jane would be good right about now. And poof, here you are! It's good to know you're well. I too think there are lots of silver linings in all of this. It's been nice to be at home. I've just come in from planting another round of seeds in little recycled "greenhouses" (milk jugs, salad containers, etc). Take care, stay well, and I hope you'll write more soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah shucks, Laurie, thanks! We've started our seeds, but it will be a while before we can plant anything outside except for lettuce in the cold frame. Spring sure seems slow to arrive, but then I think that every year. Ha! It is good to read that you are doing well. Stay safe!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. Hi Jane,

    So nice to read your words again.

    I love your first-things-to-do-list beginning with "walk around and unplug everything".
    Yes, just start there.
    The little things do add up don't they? I first heard the phrase "small economies" from your blog.
    It is definitely something I keep in mind as I go about my day.

    You have such a nice blog. I say have instead of had because it's still up for the reading and so full of good sound advice and stories about your day to day life.

    Take care and I hope we hear from you again soon.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that it was of help to you Debra. There's not much a person can do about the big things like mortgage payment and insurance, but there's a zillion little steps you can do to save a penny here and a penny there. And they do add up! Stay safe out in this crazy world!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  8. Ha! I just knew you would post something, Jane! I hope you are well. Hubby and I have hunkered down. Two months ago, we bought a darling little Tudor cottage, built in 1938. This was right before everything went crazy! We have lots of yard work to attend to, and I am also going to stain the cedar picket fence that surrounds our city property. So we have things to keep us busy. I hope and pray everyone will be safe and in good health.

    "Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord is an everlasting rock." Isaiah 26:4

    Isabella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Isabella, your new home sounds perfect! I love the Tudor style. We've been working on our house. I think we've finally gotten it to the point it works efficiently for the three of us. So far, so good for us, and since we've been practicing social distancing all winter we probably should be good. Hope all is and will be well at your place also!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  9. So wonderful to read your post. I am so glad you are doing well.
    Thank you for your words of wisdom. I have missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I just read that the president might quarantine MI. Not sure how that is different from being on a lock-down. Interesting times we are living in. Hope you are doing well also!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  10. Thank you for such a lovely post. It is encouraging and practical. Your blog remains a favorite. Im staying home and spending my time sewing and baking...like I always do.
    Take care
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing the same Ginger, except I'm knitting rather than sewing. I guess we've been self-quarantining since about mid-October of last year. Ha! Thank you for your encouragement. Stay safe!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  11. I am so glad to see you have posted again. I have been checking here everyday for a week. I work from home anyway so this self isolation is not new to me. I just can't go out and do things, like get a haircut, go to the library. Both my husband and son are considered "essential" and have to go out to work. Its a little scary but both places are very strict with their safety. Stay safe and hope to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless both your husband and son for getting out there and working during this stressful time, Mary. I've been thinking that since no one can go to the barber or hairdresser that long hair might become the latest fad (I guess I have too much time on my hands). Glad to read that you are coping well, we'll all get through this. Be careful!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  12. Hello Jane, I have read your entire blog but have never commented. Thank you, thank you for posting again. I appreciate the wisdom in each one of your posts.
    Stay safe,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Jane, I have read your entire blog but have never commented. Thank you, thank you for posting again. I appreciate the wisdom in each one of your posts.
    Stay safe,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I hope you enjoyed the post. Hope you are keeping safe!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  14. So glad to here from you again! We see all the kids and parents out, too. Makes you realize just how much busy, busy there is normally. Maybe its not the tv or devices keeping kids inside....maybe it's all the activities and the parents' work. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could very well be, Lonibelle. Hope this makes people rethink how things are and make their families a priority. There's always a silver lining! Be well!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete