Search This Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2022

Living By the Seasons

 Hello dear friends!  Sorry I've been missing, been busy putting in the garden and splitting and stacking wood. Such strange weather we're having; one day it's almost ninety, the next it's in the forties.  But it hasn't deterred the lilacs!  


 Everything that is blossoming is doing so in abundance!  If all the blooms on our fruit trees develop into fruit, we will have enough to feed the entire neighborhood!


This is part of our little orchard.  We have a about a dozen fruit trees on our little plot of land (around 1/2 acre), plus grapes, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries elderberries and strawberries.  We grow more than enough fruits and vegetables for our family and plenty to share.  If the village allowed it, there would be plenty of room for half a dozen chickens or a rabbit hutch.  Just goes to show you that you don't need a farm to supply your family with food.  Are we completely self-sufficient?  No.  But neither are those homesteaders that you see on YouTube.  Very few people are growing their own wheat and grinding it into flour or growing their own animal feed. Heck, most the people that raise chickens, don't even process them themselves. All in all, we are as prepared for hard times as much as possible, and I hope I can encourage you to do the same.  One of the keys to living a self-sufficient lifestyle is learning to live by the seasons.

In  May we begin by eating the first green things in the garden; asparagus and rhubarb.  We also eat lots of fresh herbs that are beginning to appear and dandelion greens. For example: this past week we ate an herb pizza, fish that my husband caught with a dandelion salad, a stir fry consisting of asparagus and free peppers. The peppers were free from our favorite thrift store that is run by a church.  The hold bi-weekly food pantries and when they are over the offer the leftovers to their customers.  They were beautiful peppers without a blemish.  Really, what people pass up!  Maybe soon, they will wish they had taken those peppers home and froze them for hard times coming.  But I won't lecture! Also, a lovely omelet with eggs purchased from a local farm ($2/dozen as opposed to the $3+ the stores are asking plus free-range to boot!).  BTW, if times get really tough, I will raise my own chickens or rabbits, to heck with village ordinances!  Afterall, chickens or rabbits, especially, don't make any more noise or mess than those big dogs that everyone seems to have for pets.  And you can use their manure on the garden too! For breakfast we had rhubarb sauce with toast and rhubarb pie for dessert.  Good old rhubarb never lets you down!  Soon the lettuce and spinach will be big enough to pick and the strawberries have blossoms on them, so June will start the garden eating in earnest.  

We eat mainly out of the garden from mid-June until mid-October. In late fall we eat a lot more root vegetables that we root cellar.  It is only in the deepest part of winter that we switch to our canned goods, except for meat, which I buy whenever I get a good deal and can and eat year-round.  Did you know last year our electricity was down over a dozen times?  One time for over five days.  That is why I can.  No fear of food spoiling while the electricity is out.  Oh, the food that goes to waste when that happens! 

Spring is also the time of the year we do a lot of outdoor projects.  Like this:

This is a very rustic fence made from rose briars that fills in a gap between our pine trees.  We have a herd of eight deer that think our yard is home.  Last year the mama had triplets in our back yard!  This will hopefully keep them out.  I wouldn't want to run into that thorny thing! I got the idea from a BBC series Tales from the Green Valley.  You can watch it on YouTube.  If I could say that a TV series has changed my life, this would be the one. It's history re-enactors living life as they did in 1620.  I've watched it at least a dozen times over the last ten years.  That is where I got the idea to live earnestly by the seasons.  There's something about living this way that gives me a feeling of serenity.  I guess because I'm living in the footsteps of my ancestors and living within God's rhythm.  

Just relishing each month's gifts and carefully studying nature is such a delight.  Really using all your senses to take it all in; smelling the lilacs and apple blossoms, listening to the birds, seeing the beautiful rich soil as we till it and then the tiny little plants emerging, studying when the sun rises and sets, brings you in awe of the Creator.  How anyone can believe that it all was some created by some random accident is difficult for me to fathom.  I know that lately the news seems very bleak, but please try to enjoy the wonderous world around you!  So that's it for this week at the old Zempel boarding house.  Hope you have a lovely week filled with wonder and joy!

Hugs

Jane





18 comments:

  1. Hi jane! I'm back. I'm going to enjoy looking over your blog again! I am a bit rusty so I'll work on this tomorrow. I hope I am commenting correctly as things have changed. hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I my ANdrea! I'm so happy to hear from you! Been wondering how you've been. Hope life is treating you well!
      HUgs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. I've been thinking of you for these last two years and I know our thoughts were most likely similar to each other's! But I'm mustering up courage to carry on. Yes, I too wish my kids/grandkids lived in the same town and everything else that went with those times! hugs, Andrea

      Delete
    3. You can tell how excited I was to hear from you by all the typos. Ha

      Delete
    4. I love lilacs! ( I just realized I have to change my computer cookies to 3rd party cookies if I want to use my google account. For now, I'll just put in my website to comment. Something new since I left blogging 2 years ago.) I read your last few posts. ditto ditto! Love what you wrote...so wise and smack right-on! hugs, andrea

      Delete
    5. Thanks Andrea! It's so good to have you back. Yeah, I don't get all the changes either. Fortunately, I have Jamie to help me. We are so blessed he decided to live with us, through all that has gone on in the past few years, we would have been so worried for him. As we get older, he is carrying more of the weight around here. We'd probably be dead if we had to split all the wood we just got.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you mentioned Tales From the Green Valley. I've enjoyed a number of series with these folks... Wartime Farm, Edwardian Farm, etc., but didn't know about this one. The rose briar fence seems a good and creative use of resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they the most wonderful history series, Laurie? I most smitten with the first one because it was before the industrial revolution. People worked so hard! That fence seems to be doing the job. There's a lot less deer tracks in the garden plots these days. If only they wouldn't eat my garden and chew all the bark off the fruit trees and kill them! Have to admit in the winter it is kind of peaceful to see them sunning themselves in the orchard.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. I can almost smell those lilacs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, lilacs and their scent are definitely one of the nicest perks of springtime!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane. My comments never show up but I do try. I love your blog and your practical wisdom! I discovered Tales from the Green Valley last week. I love it. They also did a series on Tudor England, Victorian and Edwardian times. All great and on YouTube.
    JoAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your persevering on leaving a comment, JoAnna! I treasure every one of them. Of all the "farm" series, Tales is my favorite, but I do enjoy them all. Aren't they wonderful? So much a person can glean from them. Plus for me, the give me a sense of serenity. Maybe it's nice just to watch someone else working hard for a change. Ha! Have a lovely weekend!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. Dear Jane,

    I love that show! I've only seen it once, but it was great. Your idea of a rose briar fence for the deer is a good one.

    I've always been amazed as how productive your half acre is! Truly you don't need a quarter section to grow delicious food in copious quantities. And think of the beautifying qualities of gardens and orchards! (And lilacs!...Our neighborhood smells so delicious on a walk at the moment, with all the apple blossoms and the lilacs just starting. My lilac is a little slower, so it'll be a couple of days, still, but I don't mind. It's taken me over ten years to get a lilac bush established, so I am patient for flowers for only a few days! Ha, ha.)

    I'm just starting on the garden, as it was too wet earlier, but I've planted the onions, leeks, cabbages, and broccoli, and managed to get the carrot and beet seeds in, too. Right now it's showery, so I get a break, and can clean house and do some inside chores instead.

    I love hearing about your delicious meals! Bring on the rhubarb!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! I'm hoping that it encourages those that do not have money for acres of land, that it is still possible to grow plenty of food for their families on a small plot of land.

      Lilacs have got to be about the most perfect flower. Look beautiful, smell wonderful, and little care. Glad you have one!

      Got almost all of the garden in, except for the peppers. The huge swings in temperature has turned out to be a blessing. It was hot so the seeds germinated quickly, then it rained and cooled down to give the baby plants some relief. So far, the garden looks really good. Hopefully God will continue to bless us.

      Neighbor brought over some strawberries yesterday, so it looks like something in the strawberry/ rhubarb combo is on the menu tomorrow, as is asparagus. Haven't tired of it yet. Ha! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. Thanks Jane (Birthday wishes)....it is in July. I can't believe I'm so old...lol..
    hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Me either. I met my husband when I was 14 and I always say to him, "can you believe you're married to this old lady?". Are you having a nice Memorial weekend?

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete