Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2022

July Came and Went!

 Hello dear friends!  Is it just me or does the time seem to be passing more quickly?  Hope you are all doing well and that you are enjoying your summer.  Several times I attempted to get a post out, but instead had to attend to gardens and preserving.  With this terrible drought I am amazed at how well the garden is doing.  Jamie and Ran spend about an hour every day watering it, but there is nothing like good old ozone-filled God-given rain for a garden.  Still, there are plenty of things flourishing.  We finally just had to pull the cucumbers and yellow squashes because I ran out of ideas for what to do with them.  There's only so many jars of relish and pickles a family can eat in a year!  And we had our favorite Summer Squash Casserole at least once a week for the last six weeks, and although we love it, we had enough for this year, thank you very much.  We also dehydrated plenty for soups this winter and made fritters and pizza casserole.  I am a firm believer in using what God has provided for us.   Remember that universal tuna or bean patty recipe I wrote about a few posts back?  Well, we discovered you can use it to make a patty from shredded cabbage also.  Today I am working at making and canning a batch of my Oven-Roasted Spaghetti Sauce ,as Ran picked a half a bushel of tomatoes this morning. Yesterday, I spent the entire day canning beets.  What a job and mess beets make!  When I can mine, I add a tablespoon of vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar to the jars, then pressure can as usual.  We love borscht and eat it about once a week during the winter, it's so good for you, so we go through a lot of beets.  And look at our onion harvest!


The smaller onions on the top tarp to the right are the ones we started from sets and the rest are from seed.  That's a garlic on the bottom right.  Ran discovered the secret to growing large onions this year.  During the first month of planting, fertilize with high nitrogen fertilizer (40-0-0) then for the rest of the season use 12-12-12 fertilizer.  And water, water, water.  We also make our own fertilizer simply by putting our grass-clippings (obviously nontreated) in a barrel and fill it with water.  This makes a very concentrated fertilizer that you need to dilute 10 to 1, the longer it sits the more you have to dilute it. Warning, hold your nose when you dip into it!

FREEBIES!

Life is funny, I had been thinking about getting a new braided rug for our dining room, but was reluctant to do so, a good wool rug is so pricey.  The very day, I decided to just do it, I went for a walk and found this one in the neighbor's garbage! 

It was the perfect colors for that room too! We carried it home and spent a good day scrubbing it, then hung it over sawhorses to dry.  The weather even cooperated in the process, as the temperatures were in the 90s, and it was very dry with high winds.  It virtually was like a dryer outside and only took a few days to dry.  See the mustard-colored Hitchcock chairs?   Always wanted some.  One day I just happened to stop by the Habitat for Humanity thrift store and there they were.  For $30!  And I got a senior citizen's discount to boot!  And they are Heywood Wakefield as an added bonus.

Only a few days later, Jamie was out for his daily walk when another neighbor was putting this light fixture out to the curb for the garbage man to take.

Just my primmy style!  And I needed a light in that very dark corner.  Couldn't have been more perfect!

Our garbage pick-up day is Monday and early in the morning Ran takes a ride around town and looks for usable wood for woodworking projects. He made me this pretty little cupboard from wood people were throwing out.

It's amazing the things people throw out.  And I don't feel the least embarrassed about admitting that, yes, I pick through the neighbor's garbage. Ha!  I'm on friendly terms with some ladies that run a food pantry and wouldn't believe the food people reject.  You'd think if you were dire enough need to get free food through a charity, you wouldn't be so particular, but people are.  It is mainly fruits and vegetables.  They offer me some, rather than throw it out and you should see the lovely jams, breads and desserts, I've made from the rejects. People really are spoiled in this country.  I hope that times never get as truly bad as the economists are predicting, because I don't think a lot of people will be able to cope. How many times have I written about eating beans or some other budget saving way to only read comments about "my husband expect meat three times a day" or "my children won't eat", or "I only eat organic" or any other such reason?  I tell you it gets tiresome.  One of the reasons I quit blogging so often.  I dare say, if you are starving, a banana with brown spots on it or a misshapen apple is going to look pretty good to you! Take it from, I've been there!

RECIPE FROM THE PANTRY

Every time I go to the Amish scratch-and-dent store I look to see if they have any dried fruits.  Dried fruits last forever if stored properly in a jar in a cool dark place.  They are just handy things to have on the pantry shelf and a handful of raisins or cranberries in your morning oatmeal can take the place of some or all of the sugar. So, here's an easy recipe that I got from the Good Old Days magazine about thirty years ago, when they used to have lots of stories about the Great Depression:

Radio Pudding

Put:

3/4 C. brown sugar

2C. boiling water

2 Tablespoons margarine (or butter)

into a 9 X 13 baking pan

Mix together:

3/4 C. sugar

1. C. flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 C. milk

1 C. raisins

Pour over the brown sugar/boiling water mixture.  Do not stir the two together.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired or affordable.

WARNING LOTS OF PICTURES AHEAD

My dear friend Matty, is reorganizing her garden and wanted to know how our is planned out, so here goes:


The working garden starts at this green fence, that regular readers have seen often in my posts.

 To the left are the compost bins, and two large rhubarb plants.  Directly behind it the herb garden that about 8 feet by 8 feet.  We also put trees and bushes inside there until they get big enough to brave the orchard and fend for themselves.

To the right we have two cold frames and in this narrow strip of land that's about 8 feet X 60 feet we have a strawberry patch, some early lettuces, spinach and herbs, along with perennials that are later transplanted into the flower gardens.  There are three of our heirloom and most favorite apple trees planted to the right of that.

Behind the herb garden there is the main fenced-in garden which is around 30 X 40 feet.  On the north side of the garden there are several grapevines and blackberries bushes planted along the fence.


This is a view looking westward toward the garden.  Directly behind the main garden we have an asparagus bed and then another plot about twice the size of the main garden.  In this plot we have a raspberry patch.  Here is also where we plant our potatoes, squashes and corns, things that take up a lot of space. BTW, these pictures were taken early in summer, just never got around to posting them.


This isn't a very good picture, but we have a bit of lawn, then an orchard with pear, peach, plum and apple trees.  There's also a very large hazelnut tree (?) bush.  And a bit of and that is just tilled without any perimeters for another type of squash.  On the right I have a plot of meadow land with native grasses and flowers.  And in front of the orchard area, we grow elderberry bushes (that the deer eat down to nubs every year). And that is how this family of three adults lives very well on a little 1/2-acre plot of land, supplemented with fish from nearby Lake Huron.

Well, my spaghetti sauce has roasted while I wrote this post.  Now I have to can it!  Which reminds me, that my dear friend Regina, reminded me about dehydrating the skins that are left over from canning tomatoes.  I've done that in the past, but the powder from grinding them is always sticky, so I abandoned the practice, but she suggested adding salt to powder and using it to flavor soups.  What a smart idea!  I sure have made some wonderful friends through this blog.  So anyway, this has been a very long post, so from the old Zempel Boarding House, I hope you all have a lovely week!

Hugs,

Jane








17 comments:

  1. I love seeing your garden photos! So pretty. That would be my dream. Or maybe my dream is a husband who liked gardening. lol. I grew up on a country road where each (rickety) house had an acre and beautiful gardens over most of the land. The wooden cupboard is so neat. I like the stain too. A food pantry that gives out fresh produce?! I used to volunteer in some churches and they gave nothing fresh. Growing up my mom knew how to make meals out of basic ingredients and if I had a food pantry I'd give out milk, yeast, eggs, butter and produce and maybe some recipes to go with it. Because you are right, people don't know how to survive without fast food etc these days! I never served my kids snacks. I feel that if they build up a good appetite, they'd appreciate my food better. (I'm still learning to cook; I wasn't the best young cook). Like you said, if they are hungry, these foods look pretty good. Your furniture finds are great. I'm going to look at your recipes now. I've been making homemade spaghetti sauce and it is so much better than store-bought! hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I grew up too, Andrea. Everyone was a one-wage blue collar worker, and many had really large families, especially by today's standards. Everyone had gardens. As a little kid I earned my first spending money by helping weed.

      Maybe the pantries need to give out recipes and suggestions on how to use fresh vegetables and fruits. They get theirs from the local supermarkets.

      Gave my grandson a graham cracker with a smear of peanut butter the other day and you'd have thought I just discovered gold. Funny how t now days if it isn't it some fancy packaging, marketed at the latest movie or character, kids don't even know about the simple things.

      Homemade spaghetti sauce is a good use for all that garlic you grow!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. I have had some friends? tell me we were so lucky to have our own trees for firewood!!! Like your flourishing garden, there is always so much work behind those jars of pickles, canned fruit, and frozen goodies.But the satisfaction of knowing there will be a jar to open in the winter, or a stack of dry wood to keep the fire going makes it all worthwhile.Now, we pay for firewood to be delivered, and a friend to load it into the small woodshed.Love your fence that leads into the produce department. Wishes to you all as you venture into the colder days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand totally, Jean. There's nothing like your own produce even though it would be a lot easier just to buy it all ready at the grocers. We grow only heirloom varieties, and the tastes are so much more flavorful. But I don't have to tell you that. Are you feeling better? Cooler weather seems a long way off but I hope you are getting some relief from the cold.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JulieT from MinnesotaAugust 7, 2022 at 12:25 PM

    I love the free finds! Plus the chairs!
    Your garden is awesome! Tomatoes here at my house are slow to ripen and they will definitely be in shorter supply this year than last. Glad I froze all the extras and canned them over winter. It has been too wet this year for us. But we have an excess of cucumbers too! Giving many away. And potatoes are doing great. Just dug up 3 hills and got 7# of red potatoes! From now until frost my first priority is to put up the harvest-can, freeze, dry, or eat! You feel like you are on a merry go round but it sure tastes good this winter!
    I look forward to your posts you have such a wealth of knowledge! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! It seems like it was either too wet or too dry everywhere this year. The neighbor up the street sets out a tray of free veggies and no one is taking her cukes or zucchinis anymore. Even for free, people have had enough. Ha! It felt good just to yank those vines out. No use watering them if no one is going to eat them. Your life sounds a lot like mine. But in the winter it is so easy to throw a meal together with everything prepared. Hope you have a lovely week!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to find all those treasures, most of them free! I'm going to try the squash casserole recipe. Thanks. I just emptied the dehydrator of tomato tops this morning, which will be made into powder. I'll have to keep the salt tip in mind. I've been doing lots of canning too. Mostly tomatoes in various ways, and carrots last week too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie! Glad you are getting a nice harvest. Don't even mention carrots! My hands are still sore from peeling and dicing those beets. Not to mentioned stained. Just the thought of peeling and dicing carrots right now makes me want to crawl back into bed and cover my head. Ha! I was thinking of you the other day when I spied a large jar of olives at the scratch and dent store. I really need to get some and recan them like you do.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. Dear Jane,

    You find the best "garbage"! Love that rug! I also loved seeing all your garden photos. I'm procrastinating blanching and freezing green beans and peas as I type...just needed a break for a minute! Swiss chard tomorrow, and then canning beets on Wednesday...that's the plan, anyway. Certainly a busy time of year!

    Beautiful cupboard that Ran made! And the recipe sounds delish. My mother-in-law said that even with recipes, the food pantry that she worked at couldn't give away "ingredients" vs. pre-made foods (i.e. bags of soup beans, etc. vs. cans of condensed soup, etc.). I think people just don't know how to cook??? But of course you don't have to cook an apple or a banana...so I guess we're also too picky. As my Mom used to say, "If you don't want (insert food she had suggested for a snack), then I guess you just aren't really hungry!" And that was the end of that!

    Thanks for the onion growing tip!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we had the same mother, Jen! Ha! I've caught myself saying that to my children and now my grandchildren too. Must be something that comes with being a mom.
      We do have the best garbage. I could open a shop with the things people throw out around here. My neighbor was helping out a young woman that had moved to the area and I told her I'd keep an eye out on garbage day for furniture. We found a dresser, chairs and a table all solid wood and vintage within weeks. People leave all sorts of towels, blankets and clothing at our beach. After the weekend, Ran picks them up and we wash them and donate them to the thrift stores and the shelters.
      Well, I guess even food can be one man's trash the other man's treasure. I made the best orange rosemary marmalade from some oranges they were going to throw out and a few weeks back they had perfect peppers without a blemish on them, that I took home and canned. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. Ha!

      Sounds like you have a busy week of preserving ahead. Hope you get some rest!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. Dear Jane, I'm so glad you are back blogging, as your busy life permits! Your blog is such a treasure trove of wonderful stories, recipes, and ideas for a frugal life. I don't can beets myself, but one of my (many!) summer chores was to scrub a huge washtub of beets for my mother to can. Not my favorite job! I preferred to pick raspberries for my neighbor who had an enormous raspberry patch. She paid me the princely sum of a nickel per ice cream bucketful. I could get 10 Mary Janes with that nickel!

    Your braided rug is a wonder, as are your chairs--talk about some great finds!
    Ran's cupboard is beautiful, as is all his work.

    As a huge fan of orange marmalade, I was wondering if you could possibly provide your recipe for orange rosemary marmalade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Back in the day, there were certainly no shortages of chores for the youngsters were there? I'll have to locate the recipe for the marmalade at the moment I can't remember where I put it, but if I do, I'll include it in the next post, okay? And hopefully the next post won't be in a month!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  8. Jane, I’m so glad to read your words of wisdom. I never gave up hope that you would blog again and I’m so glad you’re back at it! You’re an inspiration! Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri! I may not blog on a regular schedule, but I'll try to squeeze in a post or two a month. Time seems to be passing so quickly these days. Does it seem that way to you, too?

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  9. I do love a good "found this for free" story and yours are always fun.
    What a great find with that rug. I'm glad the weather cooperated with the drying because that can be tricky.
    It looks wonderful with those chairs too - what a great find those were.
    And look at that perfect light!
    I alway say, if you wait long enough you will find what you want.
    I wanted an umbrella for our patio table (which is a lovely black wrought iron with
    4 chairs - $15 at a yard sale)
    But an umbrella isn't necessary especially in our shady back yard. I just thought it would look nice. I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on something that is purely decorative so I waited & kept my eye open. A year or so later I saw one out for the trash in front of someone's house. I got out of the car and opened it up to test it and it worked fine.
    I guess they got a new one because the fabric was faded. I prefer faded fabric thank you very much.
    The umbrella looks wonderful on our patio next to the out -for-the-trash free lounge chair. lol
    Don't get me started, Jane.

    I just ate a bruised banana as I was reading your post. haha

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best things about these freebies, besides the price, is that there's usually a good story attached to them too, Debra! The other day our neighbor threw out one of those outdoor canopies, which we snagged, cut the legs off and used the tarp part for covering our firewood. Was a good heavy duty tarp, too. I guess most people lack the imagination to see the possibilities in garbage. Ha! Bet that bruised banana was tasty, too!
      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete