Search This Blog

Sunday, October 6, 2024

A Little Baking, A Little Crafting, And A Little Prepping

 Hello dear friends!  First I want to thank you all for all the kind comments.  I truly wasn't fishing for a compliment, just wanted to know if people were still interested in reading this blog any longer.  As I have written before, I do not monetize this blog or have any goals for it really, I just enjoy getting to know you.  I guess if I really wanted to set a goal for this blog it would be to make it a forum for like-minded people to congregate.  I think in a small way, it has become that.  So if you have any questions about any subject, feel free to ask in the comment section, if I don't have an answer, I'm sure one of you will.  Also, don''t hesitate to leave helpful suggestions.  Now then, look at this:


My camera is fixed!  Matty wanted to know what sort of curtains I was sewing for my bedroom.  Just these simple little tiers. And here's another picture for those that like a peek into my home sweet home. 


Do you see that strand of spinner gourds? For some strange reason, I am fascinated with gourds.  Each year I try to grow a different variety.  I love gourds so much that I made this "gourd" table runner:


I must admit, that I hate quilting and it is reflected in my craftsmanship so don't look too closely!  But no one is going to make me  one, so I have to make do the best I can.  I always start out these projects with the best of intentions, but somewhere along the way, things go awry and I get  bored with them.  Oh well, it's not like it is going to be an heirloom.  Sometimes "good enough" is good enough.

BAKING

Well, it's starting to feel like Fall at last!  We picked the last of the apples.  The first apple dessert made from my beloved Rhode Island Greenings, is always a celebration day here.  A few years back we decided to make up our own celebration days and not tell anyone when they were because crabby attitudes from others were ruining our joy during the traditional ones.  The Biblical feast days and Christian holidays are observed, just in passing; we pause and give thought to their significance on the day, but other than that, they are just another  day on the calendar for us.  Sort of Puritanical isn't it?  Anyway back to apple pie day, here's the recipe for apple pastry squares:

Apple Pastry Squares

Crust:

1 c. shortening

2 1/4 C. flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 C. water

Combine flour and salt.  Cut in shortening until small clumps form.  Stir in water a little at a time until the flour is moistened and it holds together.  How much water you use is dependent upon humidity, if your flour is dry you may need extra, or if your flour is moist you may need less.  To become a good cook you must learn how things should feel and look and the only way you are going to learn that is to get out there and try it. Also pie crusts benefit from not too much fiddling with, it's those layers of fat and flour that make it flaky, so don't get carried away with mixing the water into the flour mixture or you'll end up with a tough crust.


Now fit 2/3 rds of the crust and fit it into a 10 X 13 pan.  I don't bother rolling this out, just press the crust into the pan in a thin layer along the bottom and half way up the sides of the pan. Sprinkle 1 TBSP of sugar over the crust.

Filling:

4-5 C. peeled and sliced apples

1 TBSP. flour

1 tsp. cinnamon

a scant 1/2 tsp. nutmeg

( I also use a dash of cloves and mace because I love them, but that is optional)

Combine all and place over the crust.  Dot the apples with 1 TBSP of butter cut into small pieces

On a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out the remaining 1/3 of the crust very thinly and place over the apples. (I like to press the crust into the apples.)  And don't worry about rolling the crust out too perfectly as an older neighbor told me decades ago, " A patched crust is a perfect crust."  Again, too much fiddling with rolling and rerolling the crust will make for a tough crust. Take another 1 TBSP of butter and smear it atop the crust and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp of sugar.

Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 45 minutes or until you see the apples bubbling.  Take from the oven and immediately frost with an icing of powdered sugar, vanilla and a bit of water or milk to make an icing that is thin enough to spread easily.  Refrigerate before cutting into squares.


PREPPING

Every time we hear or read of a calamity, we should try to think of what we would have done in that situation. Obviously, if a flood comes and washes away your home, there isn't much you can do about it, but now being without water and electricity, that's something different.  I beg all of you to learn how to make a simple water filter from sand and charcoal (not the kind used for barbecuing) and gather the supplies for it. There's plenty of videos on YouTube to teach you  how.  Even if you choose not to make one, you will have the knowledge.  The other thing you should learn how to do, is how to make a rocket stove (or purchase one).  Develop an alternative way to get your water other from your city water of country well.  Wells usually need  electricity to pump so they are pretty useless when the electricity goes out.  Generators are fine but they run on gas, propane, or natural gas.  What will you do when those things run out and you can't get any more.  Think long term!  When the electricity goes out, gas stations can't pump gas or run their credit card machines.  The longest I've been without electricity has been one week, but my neighbors that lived out in the country have gone as long as three weeks without it.  That's a long time to run a gas powered generator!  How many preppers have I watched on YouTube brag about how the are prepared because they have a freezer full of meat they raised themselves?  How many had to throw it all out after a week without electricity?    That is why I always advocate canning your meat.  I never have any more in my freezer than I am prepared to either can or to lose.  I keep a propane cooker and a canister of propane for this purpose and I don't use it that propane for any other purpose, just emergency canning.  A good cast iron Dutch oven is all that is needed to prepare meals over  the above mentioned rocket stove or an open fire.  The reason I advocate rocket stoves is because they use less fuel (wood).  You can heat water to boiling with just a few sticks.

 The key to survival is knowledge and being resourceful.  And being independent.  I would not expect any government agency to come and help me, and as beautiful as it is to see all the wonderful people coming to the aid of the flood victims,  if everyone is struggling, you can be sure everyone will be looking out for their own and goodwill will be hard to find.  Depending upon others goodwill is a pretty poor survival strategy.  Start today building your knowledge.

I believe learning to be resourceful is a skill you can develop, but  you have to exercise it.  Every time you make a meal from bits and bobs in the fridge, rather than run to the store or fast food you are developing it.  Every time you you jerry-rig a piece of machinery and get it to work, rather than replace parts or call in a repairman, you are developing it.  People have become too complacent.  There's food pantries everywhere,so why learn to budget and learn to eat cheaply?  (Before someone gets their dander up, I do realize some people are in desperate situations an need the services of a food pantry) Why try to figure out how to make something that is broken work when you can just go down to the store and put a new one on your credit card?  The reason is because some day those safety nets may not be there.  So you better learn how to make-do at your leisure rather than when you are stressed out because you must.  I saw a picture in the news of a man that lost his house in the flood, built a shelter from all the debris from the flood.  Now that's resourceful!  He wasn't waiting for anyone to come and take care of him.  That man is a survivor! I'd like to meet him and shake his hand.

Anyway, I will step off my soapbox now to wish you all a wonderful, safe week ahead! And try to develop a skill or learn something  new every day.  It's never too late!

Hugs

Jane

4 comments:

  1. Your words make total sense. After massive flooding here down south in Otago, yesterday Hugh asked me how long would our food last if we were isolated or had a disaster? I thought about the upright freezer, the pantry and said " 6 weeks or more" not realising that without power the frozen fruit, veges and meat would perish. A rocket stove, maybe like the older " Thermette" we had many years ago, a double jacket sort of outfit, water in the outer part, twigs and sticks in the centre, and thin chimney spout, and so easy to use. I was brought up to be resourceful, to use all the scraps, not to throw away anything I could use later, but lately I have realised that I have too much that I cannot ever use at my age, so am gradually thinning things out. A friend in poorer health several hours north of me is doing the same.Jane. I always SO enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean! I came to that realization about a decade ago, when my parents died. So much stuff! About a year ago we thought about moving and got rid of about 1/3rd of our possessions. It helps that we live in a very small house. Like in the second picture on my blog, all my mixing bowls, platters and vases have to be on display because this old house lacks cupboards and closets, so I can see just how much I have every time I walk in the room. It may seem cluttered to some people, but it is all I own.

      That thermette sounds interesting. A rocket stove is just a double lined chimney with a grate on the top and a space on the bottom for twigs and scraps of woods. Heats water in no time.

      Hope all is well!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. Very good, Jane! We have to use our ingenuity and do things for ourselves. I've been hearing "gov't this, gov't that" and it just burns my ears because I think we tend to blame others instead of "pulling up our bootstraps" and pitching in. And good points about long-term surviving without luxuries of water, etc. Everything I have could be wiped away completely, as we have seen. Your recipe looks delicious, thanks! I'm glad patchwork dough will do. lol. Your home looks very cozy and pretty. I know you and your husband put a lot of work into it. hugs,andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! I had to fire off an e-mail to my State Rep. Lisa McClain (a Republican) because she sent me an e-mail about supporting Israel and not a word about what is going on in the southern states. Neither side of the aisle is for "we the people". And I'd say, if it isn't lining the politician's pockets
      they don't give a hoot about you.

      I always say it is better to be prepared for the worst case scenario and never need to use that knowledge, then to be unprepared.

      That was a long recipe to write out. Ha! Next time I share a recipe, it will be for something like rice krispies treats! Now I'm off to read your latest post.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete