Search This Blog

Friday, April 10, 2020

BREAD TALES

Hello dear friends!  Hope you are all doing well.  The other day I was making some flatbread because we were out of tortillas and I had no desire to go to the store, when it occurred to me how important bread is to a thrifty budget.  Way, way back in the 70s when my husband and I were literally starving students we used to buy store brand meat pies at 4/$1.  They were basically a crust and gravy with a few pieces of gristle and maybe a tablespoon of veggies, but boy we looked forward to them!  Obviously, they were not very filling so we sopped up every drop of gravy with bread.  Back in the day,  there were bakery outlets on almost every city block  you could buy a grocery bag full of bread for a couple of dollars. That bread was a real life saver for us.  It kept us full.  Toast with a cheap jar of store brand jam was our snack in the evening (I think you can still buy a pretty good sized jar of jam at the dollar store), it was our breakfast , it stretched our meager dinners.  I will always be grateful for those outlet stores.  I don't know if these outlets exists any longer, but it would be worth checking out.

Later, when we had a bit more money, we began to bake our own bread.  Bread baking duties quickly became my husbands area, as he made a much superior loaf to mine.  He's a chemist and he loves to do everything precisely, I'm more of a free spirit and like to wing it when it comes to baking, resulted in varied results.  So for over forty years, he's been the chief bread baker in our household.  As a result, I am not all that practiced upon it, and as many things in life,  practice makes perfect.  It takes time to learn what is just the right texture, just the right amount of liquids, etc.  So all this to say in a long-winded way , is that even though you can't bake a decent loaf of bread to save your life, there's plenty of easy ways to get thrifty bread on the table.

Biscuits

Biscuits are quick and easy.  When all you can afford is vegetable soup, a biscuit makes it a meal.  Here's the recipe I use:

2C. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 C. shortening
1 C. buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients. Quickly cut in shortening. Mix in buttermilk just enough to make a soft dough. .Pat dough on a lightly floured surface to 3/4 inch thickness.  Cut into rounds. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until a light golden brown.

Now, here's where being a lazy baker comes in handy.  When baking biscuits you want to do everything quickly and lightly.  When cutting in the shortening, you want to do just enough to make pea-sized crumbs. It's the layers of shortening and flour that make them flaky (ditto for piecrusts).  You don't want to play with dough any more than you need to, so don't roll with a rolling pin, just pat the dough. And  pat the dough out as few as times as possible, each rerolling makes the dough tougher.  I once watching a lady on YouTube knead her dough (yikes!) they came out looking like hockey pucks.  When cutting the rounds don't twist the cutter, just one motion up and down.  Place the biscuits on the cookie sheets close together so that they rise high.  In other words, the less you do the flakier and more tender your biscuits will be. This applies to piecrusts too, everyone always ask for my secret crust recipe, but it isn't the recipe that makes the flaky crusts, it's the lazy technique.

A note on buttermilk:  If you don't have buttermilk you can substitute for it by adding a splash of lemon juice or vinegar to your measuring cup before adding the milk.  I use buttermilk in almost all my baking because it makes a tender crumb. Buttermilk costs more than regular milk, so here's what I do, once my quart or buttermilk gets down to about a half of pint, I add regular milk to the quart and shake it.  Refrigerate for a couple of days and you have  another quart of buttermilk.  Like cheese, buttermilk is a cultured food and it regenerates, if you keep it up.  I only buy a new quart about every six months, although I use buttermilk several times a week.

Scones

1 1/2 C. flour
1/2 C oatmeal
1/3 C. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 C. melted butter
1 egg
1/3 C. milk

Combine the dry ingredients.  Stir in the melted butter, egg and milk.  Again, using the instructions for biscuits, work the dough quickly and lightly.  Pat into a 8 inch circle about 1/2 inch thick.  Cut the dough halfway through into wedges.  Gently spread 1 tbsp. butter over top and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Transfer rounds onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.

Scones make a wonderful breakfast or a snack for fikka.  One tradition our little family of three adults keeps is to fikka everyday around three.  We get together and have a cup of coffee and a snack such as these scones.  We talk about our day and play a board game.  It's a lovely, relaxing tradition, that is so makes life so pleasurable.  We eat our main meal at noon and do not eat in the evening so  sometimes the guys will eat leftovers during this time.  There are no hard and fast rules. Which is another reason our grocery bills are so low, we do not eat three meals a day.  Breakfast and one substantial meal should suffice for most people unless you are really working hard as a manual laborer.  Plus most people eat snacks too.  If you make your evening snack something healthy, you might discover you do not need that meal at six in the evening.

Anyway, that's my thoughts for the day.  I hope that you all will have a blessed and joyful Resurrection Day!



18 comments:

  1. Hello Jane
    I don’t think I could of raised my brood without baking and the discount bread store.
    Now my kids are all home lots during this situation and are also baking and asking me for recipes they remember eating back then. I’m guessing when this is over, they will all go back to their crazy busy lives but I think it is going to change some families and there may be more stay at home moms or dads and more homeschooling too. But who knows?

    It’s so nice to see posts from you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, Rhonda! Haven't been in one of those discount bread stores in ages, I wonder if they are still as much of a bargain as they used to be? The one we went to was in a seedy part of town, but they were always so nice and threw in free cakes or rolls that were too crushed to sell.

      My son is thinking about homeschooling. He says it's so nice to have a traditional family and everyone home at dinnertime without practically living in the car like they do when the kids are in school. Hope you have a lovely holiday!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. Down here, at 7.30 a.m. we have sunshine, and a clear blue sky, and as I sit at my lap[top, there is a high window on the west wall, and I can see the pale moon. Bread, the staple food, and so valuable right now is flour!!! I have given yeast to two friends, another received 3 kg flour in the mail, and I make pikelets with rolled oats in the recipe. This is a time when all families will bond together, no rushing madly out the door at 7 a.m. or later, and home baking will come out in all its own special way. Love your recipes, specially the way to make the biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds, lovely, Jean. It's a beautiful day here, but of the cold wind! This is the time of year we begin to think that warmer weather will never arrive. We call it Spring ennui. Ha! That would be a lovely silver lining for people to learn to slow down and enjoy life.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Good for your husband! It really is an art to make bread (which I don't have). We had a neighbor whose husband made theirs and he really was proud and it was so artisan looking! I like you saying the pies were gristly.... I remember being in college and I shopped with a friend once and she got a loaf of store bread...and we had some right in the car and it tasted so good...we were so hungry. I am a bread-y person...love it and crave it. Thanks for those basic recipes and tips...buttermilk and how to mix the biscuits and scones ever-so-lightly. Cinnamon sugar on top...I would not have thought of that. We used to eat cinnamon toast when little all the time for a impromptu treat. My mom was creative with us seven kids and less money! hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten all about cinnamon toast, Andrea. We used to eat that a lot too. I think there was more meat in dog food than in those cheap potpies. Ha! We really did starve through the college years didn't we? Times were rough but they sure were fun! Wouldn't trade them for all the tea in China!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. We used to live near a discount bread store but it eventually closed down. There are no discount bread stores where we now live. I do miss it. A loaf of bread was less than half the price at a regular store. I make bread at home but only biscuits, scones, soda bread and an english muffin loaf. I'm a little too intimidated to make a yeast bread that you have to knead. Maybe someday I'll put on my big girl pants and make some :)

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread baking is one of those things that you just have to do until you learn how much is enough flour and how much is enough kneading, Mary. And the amounts of flour can vary from each batch depending upon the weather and what batch of flour. It is definitely intimidating. But a nice life skill to master. As with all baking, I've found that a good recipe is half the battle. I have confidence that you can do it!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. I've read about keeping buttermilk going this way, but have yet to try it. Looking at different recipes, trying to decide what special baked treat to make for the Easter holiday. Your comments on biscuits has me pondering them as a possibility. The recipe I use has so much butter, I don't make them very often, but J would be a happy camper if I did. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buttermilk works great, Laurie. I do throw it out after six months, nit because it's gone bad, just gives me the jitters to think I'm using that old of buttermilk. Ha! I'm not eating any wheat at the moment because I'm on an anti-inflammatory diet (works great but is so boring), but I know what I would like to have for Easter; orange coconut scones! I can dream!
      Happy holidays!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. Dear Jane,

    What a great post. Your tips for baking biscuits are just spot on. My mouth drools for one of those, piping hot from the oven, and then (breaking the bank...and the side seams!) with lots of butter melted on them once split. :)

    Yeast has been the one thing that I can't seem to see on the shelves, here, for the past month. I always buy mine at Costco and keep the extra in jars in the freezer, so I do have some, but am keeping my eye out to snag a package or two in the supermarket, just in case there is a long-term shortage! If I'm not able to get any and I run out, there's always the quick breads, like biscuits and soda bread, and sourdough, which doesn't take yeast.

    I love your tip about buttermilk. I do the same thing with sour cream, if you can find the real type with active bacteria. I guess it's probably not "technically" sour cream that I make, but it tastes pretty good. I just take a couple of heaping tablespoons of the sour cream as starter and mix it with whipping cream and leave it out for 24 hours or so, and voila! Lately the sour cream has been cheaper to buy than to make, as the whipping cream has been so expensive. But with only going to the stores every once in awhile, making some might be my best bet right now.

    I'm glad your son is enjoying a slower family life right now. My hubby is saved 3 plus hours of commuting each day while all this is going on, so that is wonderful to add "useful" time to his day...not to mention cheaper without the gas and bus tickets (plus wear and tear on the car).

    It's so lovely to keep seeing new posts from you!

    A blessed Easter to you and yours.

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! I haven't checked for yeast in the stores lately. I know flour was in short supply. I buy mine in bulk from a Mennonite store. Do they have any of those nice Mennonite stores in Nova Scotia?

      Wonderful tip on the sour cream. Thank you! I usually just use our homemade Greek style yogurt in place of sour cream because I'm cheap!

      That's wonderful that your husband is saving all that commuting time. Three hours! That's rough. My oldest son said that now that they have the systems set up to work from home, he'll only need to go into work once or twice a week. So there's another silver lining! Have a joyous Easter!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. Hi Jane,
    Years ago when my daughter and I volunteered at an historical site we studied it's history and learned that most of our forefathers survived on two meals a day. I have to say that as obese as many Americans have become, it would do us good to stretch our staples to last longer and cut out processed foods. When Goodman and I pinch pennies it's not fun, but it does produce a result in savings.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it would have been difficult to get three square meals on the table in those days, Toni. Hearthside and later woodstove cookery takes a lot of effort, not to mention what people had to do just to get food. I bet if people would just buy whole foods and not even venture into the snacks, pre-made, frozen aisles of the stores, they'd find a substantial savings. Unfortunately, a lot of people do not even know how to cook from scratch any longer. Too many people are too far removed from the land. One friend of mine that either eats out or buys her meals from the deli, is now living off of rice. She had no idea what to buy to stock up for being shut in. I'd learn to cook really fast! Ha! Have a lovely Resurrection Sunday!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  8. Great post Jane, I love Bread but it doesn't love me! But I have started baking it again using spelt flour (an older variety of wheat)and I have had no digestive problems, yay. Thanks for sharing your biscuit recipe, I will try that. I also eat only two meals a day, the main at about 2pm and if I am hungry in the evening I will have a cup of soup with a cracker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've on a anti-inflammatory diet, Sharon, so I don't get to enjoy bread either. But I sure do love it. I was at the Mennonite store the morning and the smell just about drove me crazy. Been using some cauliflower flour to make crackers and am really enjoying them. I'm planning on growing a lot of cauliflower this year to make my own flour.

      Yep. I don't think very many people need three squares a day. Plus just think of all the time it saves to have only two!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh..I wing it too in the kitchen!
    I remember those outlet stores and those amazing deals..That was before we learned that everything was so unhealthy for us to eat (sarcasm) lol!
    We still have some outlet thrift food stores around here..but these days we are using the pick up service at Walmart in order to limit our exposure to public places ( I have cancer and Jeff an auto-immune disease, so we are playing it safe.) And I learned to make due with basics at a very young age too..still practicing this, and re-teaching my three girls that as long as you have some flour, salt, yeast and water..you have bread daily.
    Good to see you are staying healthy and thrifty..and blogging again!
    Blessings & Love~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa! That pick up service is pretty handy. Our local Thumb Transit will pick up our groceries and prescriptions and deliver them to our doorstep free of charge. That's a nice thing for them to do! Glad to read that you are keeping safe!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete