Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Cooking From My Pantry

 Hello dear friends!  Often when I tell older folks that I can, they will say, " I used to can, but we don't eat those types of foods anymore."  And I'm always thinking, "What? you don't eat carrots, green beans, beets, potatoes or corn?  You don't eat beef, pork, chicken or turkey?"  Because I can everything, I can get my hands on.  And that is why my grocery bills are so low.  While canning is a very labor-intensive task, once it is done, it takes nothing to assemble a soup or stew, simply by opening a few jars and heating them through.  Recipes like this borscht, which is one of our favorite cold-weather meals.

Teaching someone how to make soup is sort of like trying to teach someone how to be thrifty, I can tell you how, I can give you a recipe and ideas, but at the end of the day, you just have to go with your imagination and instincts.  Anyhow, I   will tell you how I make it, but of course, it won't be a straightforward recipe, because you probably won't have the exact same ingredients.

Firstly, I begin by sautéing up some onions and garlic.  I use beef tallow that I render when I can my beef, but of course you can use any oil or fat, you desire to sauté yours.

Next, I use a jar of my home-canned beef.  You can use any leftover beef roast or stew meat, or if time are really hard just use a can of beef broth, or if times are really, really hard use some of those beef granules and some water, or if you are a vegetarian, just leave the beef out altogether.

Then I stir in a jar of tomatoes, and jar of carrots drained. Save the drained liquids for a base for another soup. And an undrained jar of beets. Of course, you can use any combination of fresh, canned or frozen vegetables that you desire, if you don't have home-canned.

Then I add cubed potatoes and maybe some turnips, rutabagas or parsnips, depending on what I have available. And some shredded cabbage.  You can use and combination you want.  If you are making this for a crowd, you might add lots of potatoes or cabbage, which can often be purchased quite cheaply, to make it stretch. At this point, if I need to add more liquids, I will add some of the reserved drained liquids from the vegetables.  Again, if you are stretching it for a crowd or for lots of meals, add more water to the soup.  That was my pastor's advice when I was young and wondering how we would feed our growing family.  Add more water to the soup!

To flavor the borscht I add dill, either fresh or dried.  BTW, even if you don't have a vegetable garden you can grow some dill in your flower beds, it's just as pretty as any other filler plant. A pinch of thyme and paprika (we grow paprika peppers, dry and grind our own) a splash of balsamic vinegar, or some homemade apple vinegar. Sometime if I have jar of pickles in the fridge, I'll add some of the brine to the mixture. Salt and pepper to your taste.  If it is too acidic for you add a bit of sugar.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt if you have some. So, that is my thought process when make soup.  You really don't need a recipe, just follow your instincts.

Borscht is so healthy, with all those beets, carrots, tomatoes and cabbage, if I could only make one meal for my family, it would be this.  Plus, it's very filling. If we only had a small garden, the only things I would grow, would be the vegetables that go into it: beets, carrots, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, dill and rutabagas.  Is it any wonder that it was such a popular peasant food in Eastern Europe?

Notes on Canning

When I can my beets, I add 1 tablespoon of sugar and vinegar to each pint jar, then can as usual. Gives you a sort of pickled beet flavor without the spices.

When canning beef, I cut all the fat of and render the tallow, which I use in sauteing, greasing pans and even for baking. And of course, any bones go into a pot for making broth.  Cube and brown the meat in batches, deglaze the frying pan, and boil in in a pot of water, while prepping the jars.  This makes its own broth, which gives the cheap cuts of beef added flavor. Sometimes, if it doesn't look beefy enough, I'll stir in some of the beef granules, but just a bit because it tends to be very salty. I use the cheapest cut of beef roast, around here they are called English roasts.  They are usually tough as old shoe leather, but when you can them this way, it tastes like the finest roast.  As a matter of fact, our store is having a sale on them this week for $3.99/ lb.  Cheaper than hamburger!  Guess what I'll be doing this week?

Well, I hope that this post gives those that are timid in the kitchen some encouragement to experiment a little.  Your kitchen is your kingdom, and you make the rules!

Hugs

Jane




13 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jane, for this very hardy, common sense soup! Very good tips. It reminds me of my mom and how she used to write me letters when I was newly married of her grocery store bargains, how much per pound, etc. and how she cooked. With seven kids, she oftentimes had to raid our church envelope giving to eat and hope to give more to the church the next week. Sometimes our favorite soup was "milk soup" which was milk with lots of butter and noodles. We thought it was special, not realizing it was cheap. We had a huge garden in the summer, it is a shame she never learned to can!! hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you cherished those letters, Andrea. Sounds like she was literally robbing Peter to pay Paul. Ha! Milk soup sounds good! Sometimes it's the simplest things. I made a lot of potato pancakes back in the day. My kids get nostalgic for them. They never knew it was because there was no money in the bank account and two days before payday.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. Another one that surprises me is when elders say they don't cook. Over the past 2 1/2 years, I wondered what they did when they had to stay home. I wanted to tell you I enjoy your posts so much, I've gone back to the beginning, and am slowly making my way through them. You share so much good information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment, Laurie. Thank you so much! I hear that a lot from older people too. Everyone should have a well-stocked pantry, if for no other reason than it's a hedge against inflation. As the saying goes "It's insurance that you can eat"!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is just what we are having for supper today. We have a granddaughter who is having a choir concert tonight (8th grader) so I wanted something quick and to have ready when Boz got home from work. So I went to the pantry. Got out a pint of already made soup, canned last year, added a pint of venison, canned last winter, a pint of green beans and potatoes, canned this year, and added a cup of pizza sauce I had lingering in the frig from a previous dish. Pretty sure it will be good. Love pantry cooking. I better go give it a stir as I have it simmering to blend everything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it will be good too, Nannie! I love having all my canning done for the season. Well almost, are we ever truly finished? The trouble is that we work so hard May through October, once it's finished it is hard to figure out what to do with the spare time! Enjoy your concert!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. Dear Jane,

    MMMMMMmmmmmm, that soup sounds soo good! I know what you mean about all the hard work of canning...but you're right, meals are so much quicker to make in the winter (because of the canning) than in summer, when everything is deliciously fresh but all has to be picked, washed, prepped, and then cooked. I call winter my relaxation time! Great canning and recipe tips, Jane!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I see it too, Jen. And it looks like winter is coming earlier than expected this year. Did you get any of that snow?

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Nope, no snow here. Raining cats and dogs today, which will make the garden VERY soggy for cleaning out the coop and moving the bedding onto the garden. Hopefully the sun that is forecast the next few days will be able to dry things out a bit. We have had to run the woodstove a bit, though...the dampness sure makes things seem colder.

      Just canned my last batch of tomatoes for the year and made a green tomato pie. Just a few left for fresh eating, and I have lots more counter (and floor!) space for other things besides tomatoes! Ha ha!

      xx Jen

      Delete
    3. Hurray for getting your canning done! I still have a half bushel of pears. I should do that tomorrow so I can finally get all the equipment out of the mudroom.

      Delete
  5. The soup sounds lovely. I look forward to your posts. We have had a hard frost here so the garden is done. But I continue to can. Now is the time to do meat, soups, and stuff I put in the freezer like tomatoes. I just canned salsa verde from some tomatillos I bought at the farm market. And 5 quarts of chicken pot pie starter which is chicken, cubed potatoes, frozen mixed veggies, and chopped onions and then filled with broth. Just thicken and put biscuits on top or encase in a crust. I also use this mix for Chicken ala King and soup. Next week I have ten gallon bags of frozen tomatoes to start on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! My canning equipment is never truly put away either. After a brief rest and as jars and pantry space empties, I will can up some dry beans and meat as it comes on sale. I'm hoping turkey will be a deal this year, but I'm hearing that it probably won't happen. But if it does, I'll be ready with some jars to take advantage of the sales! Sounds like your pot pie starter will give you a nice head-start on some cozy winter meals!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete