Search This Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2023

Winter is a Joyous Season

 Hello dear friends!  I hope this post finds you all fit as a fiddle and right as rain!  I'm sitting by the fire today and just enjoying having some leisurely time before Spring returns and all the busyness that it entails comes once again.  We had a bit of snow recently and it was so welcome as the whiteness brightened the house after so many days of grayness.  I've lived in eight decades so far, yet the thrill of snowfall has never left me.  Well, to be truthful, I don't remember much of the 1950s or how I felt about them, except for some home movies of my father pulling me on a sled. But I wasn't crying, so I must have enjoyed it. Ha! I never understood why people hate winter so much, but then I grew up much further north than where I live now and winter was part of our lives for a good seven months of the year, so I guess it was just part of my DNA. Winter is the time of year when I can work on creative endeavors and spend time pipe dreaming.  Do you ever pipe dream?  My big lifetime fantasy has always been to live in a 200-year-old log cabin off-grid in the middle of a forest.  Unfortunately, I have never been able to live anywhere I could make such a dream come true as my husband's career always led us to areas where such things didn't exist and if they did, we never had the funds to make it happen, but I always managed to make home as close to that as possible. And it's probably just as well.  I was poking around on Zillow the other day, just to see what sort of land I could afford and all the plots of land in middle of forests had shots from trail cams of the wildlife in the area.  I don't think I want to live where bobcats are just outside my door!  And seeing how much damage a few deer can do to a garden, I can only imagine how much more an elk or moose would do!  I guess village life is the right fit for me, even if I detest the small-town politicking that goes on.  But I still continue to imagine myself into that cabin, even if it is just a pipe dream.  Jesus says that the Father has prepared a place in Heaven for us that is many mansions, but I hope He allows me just one little humble cabin in the woods.  Minus the bobcats!

Anway, if you stuck with me through that rambling nonsense, I did manage to do some productive things this month.  Someone once asked me where I store my canning equipment and I replied I don't.  It is ever-present.  This past week I got around to canning all my remaining winter squashes.

Had been putting that chore off as long as I could.  Squashes certainly are hard on the hands.  BTW, I've mentioned this before, but these Butterscotch squashes (seeds are available from Pinetree Gardens) will make a squash lover out of anyone.  They are remarkable sweet, better than any pumpkin.  Every time I roast one up, I'm astounded by their flavor!

I also baked some date nut bread.  For some reason, in my mind dates and winter are intertwined.  Probably because the only time we ate any was at Christmas when my mother baked the best date pinwheel cookies ever. Anway, these little quick breads are a nice change from our usual oatmeal for breakfast, especially if you spread them with a dab of cream cheese. Rather than bake one big loaf, I bake two small loaves and freeze one. When I bake pies, I try to bake a few small tarts from the scraps of pie crust and filling and freeze them also.  Then when we have a nice assortment of such things squirreled away, we bring them out and have ourselves a proper Victorian tea. It is one of the ways we bring a bit of gentility to our humble little life.

Speaking of gentility, I have never understood the idea that some things are "too good" for us mere common folks.  The other day my friend brought over a can of beer to drink while she chatted with us, (she's a hoot!) and I asked her if she would like a glass.  "Oh no" she said, "that's too good for me."  What a glass is too good for you?  Well, Ran got out one of his pilsners for her anyhow, and she was tickled to be treated so royally. Ha!  The glass cost an entire quarter from the thrift store!  Another neighbor stopped by as we were sitting down to lunch, we asked her to join us, as she asked, "do you live like this always?".  We were confused about what she was talking about, then she explained, "you know, with tablecloths and napkins and china and silverware." Just because you are poor doesn't mean you have to live poorly. Real plates cost probably less than a package of paper plates when you buy them from a thrift store.  And they are reusable too! Ditto for cloth napkins.  And you even make them from fabric scraps from the old scrapbag.  How many things do you have sitting in cupboards and closets that you are saving for special occasions?  Get them out and use them!  Life goes by so quickly; every day is a special occasion!  Live life richly, you are worth it!

Speaking of scrapbags, this month I'm treating myself to some fun little projects after December's "slogfest" of finishing up big and boring projects.

A small, quilted piece that's pattern came from a thrift store.  Just to prove to you all, that I can make something other than a four-patch quilt. Ha! Here's a closer look:
The pattern came as a kit from a quilt shop and had a price tag of $25!  I paid a dollar for it at the thrift store, and I still had to rob Peter to pay Paul, to finish it.  I would have been really disappointed if I had paid that much for the kit.  Anyway, it brings a bit of brightness to the winter decor without screaming Christmas.  The house always looks a bit empty after the holidays.

Here's a closer look at my crazy quilt slippers.


I might have the world record for postponing a project.  When I looked at the envelope for the pattern it was postmarked 1990!  I always get around to my projects even if it takes me over thirty years!  It was a fun project once I got around to sewing them.  Wonder why I put them off so long? And it used up lots of those itty-bitty scraps of the Civil War repro fabrics I couldn't bear to toss and lots of scraps of vintage lace.  That little woolwork project came from a pattern I tore out of magazine from the 90s also.  I changed the colors to make it look it more prim.  The original pattern was done in pinks and purples. Blech!  

And rather than buy Ran a Valentine, I made him this sampler:

I had all the floss on hand, and I just used a scrap of linen that came from the thrift store (of course). It reads, "Come sit down...Just me & You".  One of the ways we live richly is just to sit down together with a cup of coffee in a pretty teacup and talk.  You'd be surprised at how much two people that have just been sitting and talking for half a century have to discuss. Well, this blog and the comments you make is my way of sitting down, just me and you, and talking. I enjoy our little "banter" and perhaps someday we will all meet in my little cabin in the woods and we can sit down and have a real conversation.  Until then, feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.  I always respond.  Hope you have a lovely and "rich" week!

Hugs

Jane


15 comments:

  1. Such pretty slippers and that is an extensively pretty sampler! I did learn long ago, that to be gentile, you don't need to be rich (or use poorness as an excuse!) In fact, these days, the rich look very uncouth. Yes, I like the many mansions mentioned in the Bible also! And to think that eye has not seen the beauty there!
    I'm thinking you might have impressed your neighbor enough to have her start picking up on some of your daily customs. hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same as you about how uncouth a lot of the so-called taste-makers of society have become Andrea. I sometimes think it is being done on purpose to make the world as miserable as possible. Or perhaps it's just a reflection of the state of things? We can only imagine what God has in store for us! He knows us better than we know ourselves, so whatever He chooses will be beyond what our minds can perceive. I doubt my neighbor will ever change, but I will continue to pamper her with real glasses and such whenever she pops over. Ha! Your blog is all about gentility, which I admire so in you.
      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. Thrift or op shop goodies, our local ones have beautiful glassware, recently, older daughter spied some cups that matched the dinner set she gave us some years ago.I was thrilled to have another 6 matching cups, the shape was always my favourite. I grew up on a small farm, small by these day's standards, but then in the 1940's and 50's it was large enough to give a living. We ate what Dad grew, looking back, the orchard and vegetable part was HUGE. The potato part that was separated by a row of macrocarpa trees had a large gate, and he could take the tractor in to hoe it up.Life then was so uncomplicated and peaceful, and sometimes like you, I long for a cabin in the forest, running water and power would be an advantage though.Happy Valentine's Day, we don't celebrate that here, but a wedding anniversary on the 17th, 61 years together, we have been given two wonderful daughters, a grandson and granddaughter, 2 sons in law. and at our age, health is limited by enough to have a joyous day together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 61 years together! Very best wishes on a wonderful day. A lot of my school chums had lived on farms as you described. It's a shame that these small farms can't make a living these days. I remember going to one of my friend's little farm and the dad had a tractor to scoop the manure and the mom took the shovel and spread it on the fields. They worked so hard. And the house didn't have electricity, either. When I tell younger folks about such things, they just roll their eyes. Ha! I suppose to them it sounds like something out of the Little House on the Prairie books. Again, happy anniversary!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. All your completed projects are beautiful. I had plans to work on a cross stitch project this winter, but didn't get very far. Snow does help me stop and do things like that, but alas, we haven't had any so far. Thrifted plates and drinking vessels are my favorites. Recently, I picked up a pretty Murano glass for .49, and have enjoyed using it today. I love how you plan for, and create the Victorian tea. I hope we do meet someday at your "cabin in the woods". It's bound to be the coziest spot around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be wonderful, Laurie? 49 cents for Murano glass? Can't beat that deal! Cross stitching takes forever. I'm always amazed at all those ladies on those flosstube channels, they churn out so many beautiful pieces. They must do nothing but stitch. I used to make a high tea once a month when the boys were young. It took so much work, and they scarfed it down in minutes. Ha! This way of storing away a little at a time is a lot easier. For some reason, if you make little tarts and dainty little sandwiches it feels more special. Hope you have a wonderful week!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Hmmmm, I was typing a comment, and it may have went through by accident before I was finished.
      Anyway, I wanted to say I am always happy when I see a new post from you. Like you, I think living in a primitive cabin sounds really nice but I like running water and electricity too much to really do that.
      I don’t think you watch much TV, but there is a TV series. I think you would enjoy. Alone by the history channel is a sort of reality show. Contestants are put out in a wilderness area with just a few tools and video cameras to record their selves, they build little houses and they hunt and fish and forage. Some do really well and some only last a few hours. All of them lose weight though. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of them garden, but a lot of times they’re in these places in the dead of winter and you couldn’t really garden when there’s 6 inches of snow on the ground. There may be some episodes on YouTube, I just don’t know.
      I think your fabric projects are so nice!
      And I think your friend who brings her own beer is funny too. If it sounds like something one of my Marine base neighbors would do.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. My kids love Alone, Rhonda. I don't know how they cope being out there with bears roaming about. I'd be out of there in a NY second. I love my neighbor! I'm a teetotaler and she always has either a beer or cigarette in her hand, but we get along just fine. We know we can count on each other. Just goes to show people we can have differences and still get along.

      Hugs
      Jane
      I put the reply in the wrong place above

      Delete
  4. Jane, I’m like you canning equipment never seems to be packed away. I canned Zuppa toscana soup with Italian sausage from the freezer, kale from the freezer, and potatoes from storage. Just baked up the last two squash and will be canning squash apple soup today. Then onto the tomatoes in the freezer. Plus I have been embroidering dish towels with supplies I have on hand. They will be used as gifts next Christmas with canned goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are keeping busy, Julie! I need to get busy canning up beans soon. Sometimes I get carried away and then I don't have enough jars when canning season begins in earnest. Have to remind myself to stop canning around April, so I'll have enough jars available. Giving dish towels and canned goods for Christmas gifts is a wonderful idea! Happy canning. May all your jars seal!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. Hello Jane! Thank you for the post! I looove the slippers. :) I too would love to live in a cabin in the woods! I recently finished a series of four books by Janette Ross Riehle…” To the Wilds of Alaska” I think this is the first in the series. It is the true story of Vernon and Sylvia Ross and their four young children living in the remote wilderness of Alaska. I enjoyed it so much! Let me know if end up trying it. 🧡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brooke! Thanks for the book recommendation! I'm always looking for something new to read. Although we may never get that cabin, we can do the best with what we have and be thankful for it. As Ran always tells me, anytime I want to live off-grid, he can always pull the main switch. Ha! But then I wouldn't be able to blog and meet wonderful people such as you, so I should be grateful for that bit of electricity also. Have a wonderful remainder of this week. Doesn't it seem like time is moving extra swiftly these days?

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. Reading this reminds me that I've gotten out of the habit of setting the table for meals, in part, I suspect, because in retirement we've abandoned a real schedule for the day. We tend to eat breakfast together at the table, but as I cook in batches there is always something that can be warmed up or a sandwich made when one of us is hungry later in the day. Winter seems to promote drifting through our days. I think we'll be more structured when spring and gardening weather return. Some days I am inspired and creative, other days I'm 'lazy' and merely day-dreaming about projects I might tackle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! We are usually busy doing our own things during the day, so eating our meals together is one of those things give us an opportunity to come together during the day. Oh, I understand the daydreaming about projects rather than the doing! I "thought" about making some pillow shams for several weeks but kept putting it off because I don't get along with sewing machines. Just get started and the bobbin needs to be rewound, and then just out of nowhere the machine starts to make a mess with the thread. Doesn't matter what machine I use. Anway, after putting off this little chore for several weeks, I finally sat down and made them, and it only took about a half hour. I'm trying to do at least one thing I've been postponing each day. That's how I keep from being bored during the winter. And usually once I get started, I enjoy it!
      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete