Search This Blog

Monday, September 16, 2024

Thorns and Thistles

 Be thankful for the

          thorns and thistles which keep

       you from being in love

    with this world.

     - Charles Spurgeon -

Hello dear friends!  I had never intended to write a post again, but  a rather odd thing happened the other day, I guess you could say it was an answer to a prayer.  You see, the other day I was thinking of something I wanted to tell you all (I've forgotten what it was) and during my conversation with my Heavenly Father, I said "Lord, if you want me to continue on with this blog, you will have to give me a sign, like someone leaving a comment."  Well, within twenty-four hours I received a comment from Old Fashioned Rose, so Old Fashioned Rose, if you are reading this, you are an answer to a prayer!  

These past several months have been a time of thorn and thistles here at Sweet Briar Cottage, as I am sure this year has been for you all also.  It began with the gardening season, it was such a cold Spring everything was so slow to germinate and many seeds needed to be planted and replanted.  I know a lot of you had very hot weather, but we can't complain here, on the contrary, there were quite a few times that found us reaching for a sweater in July and August.  What we did have, was a drought.  Most of our days were taken up with watering the garden and keeping the intense sunlight from blighting the vegetables.  BTW, we discovered that hanging mosquito nets over the plants, helped with that.  We bought  our netting at a garage sale, it was intended for hanging over a king-sized bed, it netted (no pun intended) quite a bit of yardage perfect for protecting the plants. So that was that.  Never have we worked so hard in the garden.  It took Ran, Jamie and me many hours everyday to keep it going.  But we were blessed.  While we didn't enjoy the huge yields we have in the past, but they were sufficient for our needs.  Our philosophy is to eat what the Lord provides, so if a crop fails or doesn't perform well, we just say it wasn't what He intended for us to eat.  Evidently, He didn't think we needed much in the way of cauliflowers or Brussels sprouts,  but now broccoli, was coming out of our ears. Ha!  Seriously though, we do take this conviction with the utmost solemnity, and it has stood us in good health for many years.  You know you are on the right track when you visit the doctor and he queries you on what you are doing to stay so healthy and takes notes.  But alas, we are getting downright elderly and there is no cure for growing old.  We have noticed that the days of being a weekend warriors are over for us.  Things still get done, but at a slower pace.

On a personal note, I have just been shutting myself off from the world.  Just don't seem to have the patience any longer for people that want to bring drama into my life. So I've been letting one-sided friendships slip away and even this blog, which always has its "contrarians"  (comments you don't see), has been put aside. The few friends that remain, tell me they are doing the same.  Do you feel the same?  I once heard a sermon by Tolver that spoke of a believer's path being a solitary and lonely one, and I am finding that to be true.  It is difficult to live in this world and not be of it.  But oh the peace, dear friends, that comes from such a life. 

SELF SUFFICIENCY

I a big proponent of being a self-sufficient as one can possibly be.  We grow all our vegetables and fruits, and Ran catches (he holds a "master angler" award from the Michigan DNR) most of our meat in the form of walleye, salmon, pike and bass.  Other than that, our protein comes from beans and nuts.  Once in a very rare blue moon, we will find lamb  or some grass-fed organic beef on sale and stock our larder.  And at Thanksgiving I do buy an extra turkey to can, but on the whole, we eat between  one to two pounds of meat a week for our family of three adults.  A lot less than the national average, the average American consumes over 224 pounds of meat a year.  Yikes! No wonder everyone is complaining about the price of groceries.  Meat is becoming a luxury item, that's for sure.  I just spied a grocery store ad for a sale on hamburger at $4.88 a pound.  Even lowly ground turkey is over three dollars.  I can remember for years it was a cheap option for meat at  ninety-nice cents a pound.  Even dried beans are selling for over two dollars a pound.  So I can understand how all this inflation is very scary for a lot of people.  

So anyway, I encourage everyone to get out there and grow some of your food, don't be discouraged by bad weather and nay-sayers.  At the very least, it's good exercise.  And get the whole family involved.  In our family we say, "if you don't work, you don't eat".  To grow a productive garden takes a lot of time. and work.  Too many people become discouraged if their first attempts don't produce.  The other day, once again, someone told me how "lucky" I was to have such a nice garden, and was bemoaning the fact that they weren't blessed with a green thumb.  I was too polite to say it, but what I wanted to say was that luck had very little to do with it.  I didn't see them out there hoeing at six in the morning before it got too hot.  I didn't take a week-long vacation and leave my garden to its own devices.  I didn't see them out there hauling buckets of water, or picking potato bugs off the plants.  I don't see them studying up on how to get rid of garden pests organically.  I don't see them composting, then carrying heavy shovels of compost into the garden to amend the soil.  Yes, I am blessed, but lucky I am not.  It definitely doesn't feel lucky when I'm standing in a ninety degree kitchen peeling and canning beets while they are sitting in the air conditioned living room watching TV.  So to get off my soapbox and get back to self-sufficiency, the other day I made a list of everything I would need to purchase for a year in addition to what Ran catches and we grow.  Here's the list:

2 gallons cider vinegar (canning strength)

1 gallon white vinegar (canning strength) 

12 pounds of cheese ( 1 pound per month)

12 pounds of shortening (for use in baking and frying)

1 gallon cooking oil (we use olive oil)

50 pounds of sugar (mainly to be used in making jams, jellies, and wine)

100 pounds of flour ( this may seem like a lot, but we bake everything from scratch and I only bake sweets once a week)

24 pounds of coffee (what can I say, we love coffee)

50 pounds oatmeal (oatmeal is our staple breakfast)

100 pounds dried beans (2# a week)

10-20 pounds cornmeal ( beans + a whole grain make a whole protein, thus beans and cornbread is a common meal among the poor)

2 quarts of molasses (no need for brown sugar add 1 tablespoon to sugar, plus black strap molasses has a lot of minerals in it and is very healthy for you)

Baking powder and baking soda, a couple containers

12 jars of organic peanut butter (a jar a month)

2 pounds canning salt (not just for canning but also for cleaning cutting boards and possibly for curing meat)

1 pound of cinnamon ( cinnamon is good for keeping your blood sugar level, hence we put a big spoonful into our oatmeal every morning)


Even at today's prices I think I could purchase these things for around a thousand dollars or maybe even a little less, if I shop carefully at the bulk food stores and our Amish discount stores.  And yes, if I really needed to, I could go without the coffee. Ha!  I could resort to my own herb tea, while tea isn't my jam, I have given some to several of my tea-drinking friends and the say it is very good tea.  Basically, I just put everything in my garden I know to be good for you into it; raspberry leaves, chamomile, peppermint, rose petals and hips, anise hyssop,  lemon balm, and dried blackberries and raspberries.  It's a pretty tea, if nothing else.  So any way, I hope the list helps you, if you live as we do.

 There you have it.  My camera bit the dust, so I cannot share with you any of my creative endeavors, but the period I have been away from blogging has been one of my most creative periods I have experienced in a long time.  Will I write another post some day?  I'll have to see how this one goes, I'm aware blogging is sort of a dying medium, and those that do read them prefer style over substance.  So will anyone even look at a blog without some sort of pretty photography?  Well, all that will depend  upon you dear  readers and the prompting of the Good Lord.  So whether we meet again or not, I  pray that you all have a peaceful and fruitful life!


Hugs

Jane

29 comments:

  1. Hi Jane! I will read this again after I do my housework this morning. You always write such good posts with lots of info. I imagined you (since your last snowy post) being very busy this summer with your gardens and canning.
    So I guess you got a "rose" from heaven to write today!
    Our minds are complex and I certainly feel we have to guard what we do and say and not waste time in unnecessary talk or congregating. And if we thought about what is going on around us, where our country is heading, it would be too hard to take. So we just take one day at a time and do our daily duties and pray, pray and pray! andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andrea! So good to hear from you. I so agree. There is so much peace in just doing the tasks before us each day and traveling down a very narrow path. As it says in Thessalonians we are instructed to live quietly and mind our own business. And of course we are to pray unceasingly! Hope you have a lovely week ahead of you!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. I read every word, and the ones that intrigued me the most were " Aren't you lucky..." I was told this many years ago when we lived in a different town, we were both working, yes we did have a lovelky home, 2 cars ( a necessity as we worked different starting and finishing hours) and a jet boat. I told this person" How many times have you been up before 5 a.m. to cook a breakfast, how many times have you spent most of a Saturday helping to wash down and scrub the inside of a bulk hopper feed truck, how many times have you answered the phone and radio telephone, sometimes over 75 a day? How many times have you put the young girls into car seats and driven to pick up a driver? ( we had 4 trucks and 3 other drivers plus Hugh at that time). Needless to say she had not thought about the years before we worked ast the same hospital.Mosquito netting, what a great idea.Age creeps up uninvited, at 84 I am so thankful for the 2 hours housework a friend does each Friday, another with her young son do gardening, and weedeating . we have only 800 square metre section, but always something to do, and 3 raised vege beds that provide a lot for us and to give away when the spinach is in full production mode. Jane, I did enjoy your year's list.My Dad had a theory, when a food item is on special, buy 3 and the reduction will probably give you one for free. Best wishes to you all, as your summer comes to a close, our Grandson is in Canada, Vancouver based with a 2 year visa, and is employed at a large engineering geology firm. A weekend warrior indeed, love that phrase!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean! Yep, "luck" takes a lot of work doesn't it? Jamie has taken over a lot of the heavy lifting for us. But he's no longer a spring chicken either. We just plug along doing the best we can. Yes, I've been reading about your grandson's adventures. Looks like he's enjoying himself. Hope this note finds you in good health!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. I check your blog each day Jane to see if your

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend! I don't understand why only half of your comment came up. We are all doing well. We are truly a blessed bunch. Hope all is well with you also!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. I love your blog and I do check in each day to see if you have an update. Today was my lucky day! Glad you and your family are ok. Take care and stay well.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now the message in its entirety came up! Computers are so frustrating, at least for me!

      Delete
  5. I love reading your posts, with or without photos. Like you, we had a challenging garden year, but are thankful for what we got. Glad to know you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laurie! Yep, it was a challenging year in the garden. Every year we say we are going to plant a smaller garden, and every year we expand it. Ha! This year was a good thing we did. Everything came and went quickly. All we have left is beans for shelling and pears. Even the apples finished up early!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. So great to hear what you've been up to, Jane...and of course, it's been LOTS, as usual! You are a hard-working bunch! My garden has been a bit of a burden, this year, though it has given us blessings, too. Last year's WET summer means the weeds were CRAZY this year, and I haven't been able to keep up. Also, it's time to downsize the garden to some degree, as it's just me able to work in it, and I just can't keep up, anymore, with a really huge one, without more help and more "goodies' to put on it, now that we no longer have goats. Just time to face facts and pare down a little bit to keep it a bit more manageable. (I always bite off a bit more than I can chew...call it my W.A.S.P. mentality! Ha, ha.)

    I've really missed your posts, as they are such a breath of fresh air and common sense and a great motivation to keep on, keepin' on!

    Hope you will be able to find a way to take a few photos to show us some gardening and your beautiful crafts and gorgeous little house.

    xx Jen in Ns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jen! So good to hear from you again! Aren't all gardens both a burden and a blessing? The weeds weren't so bad, but boy the bugs made up for it this year around here. I think the local farmers can't afford to use as much pesticides, that we were reaping the benefits from, as they were sort of reining them in. All in all, it was a strange gardening year for almost everyone I have talked to. Maybe it's the grand solar minimum? I canned every blessed bit, in hopes that next year we won't need to have such a big garden, but will see what happens in the world to decide that next spring. Crazy times we live in. Stay safe!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. I loved reading this! Your wisdom and encouragement is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane; I'm always delighted when one of your infrequent posts pops into my reading list. I would say you have both style and substance!
    Not the best garden year in Kentucky--and I admit that in addition to the whims of weather my old bones don't permit me to crawl about weeding on hands and knees. Our daughter and son-in-law attend the local Amish produce auctions and often come home with vegetable to share with us for fresh eating and for canning. Like you, we shop the local Amish/Mennonite discount groceries in the area. Their prices have increased but still better than Kroger or Wal Mart which are our other options.
    The political situation is truly discouraging, and so many people seeming to lose any sense of decency or responsibility. I try to read [not watch!] enough news to have some idea of what is happening, but not become absorbed in it.
    I'm sorry you can't share photos of your creative repurposing--my camera is also having difficulties and I'm not clever with the use of an iphone camera
    I hope you'll be inspired to continue posting; too many good bloggers have faded away.
    Sharon @ Morning's Minion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sharon! So good to hear from you! I forgot all about the Amish produce auction. That's another wonderful option for people. Perhaps families could go in and share the expenses on large lots. I always think that a family or a small group of friends could form a sort of informal co-op whenever I see those big wheels of cheese selling so cheaply at per-pound prices at the Mennonite store.

      My old bones are giving problems too. I know I feel better when I cut out flour, but there's nothing like toast! Overall I shouldn't complain, almost all of my family had at least one joint replaced by my age.

      Yes, staying above the political fray is definitely the way to keep one's sanity. Stay sane!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  9. Hello Jane, I was so happy to see a new post. I know for me, I find alot of encouragement and comradery from you're posts. ❤️ And I'm glad you're okay, I've checked over the months and wondered if everything was okay.
    I hope you keep sharing but I also think you should do what's best for you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brooke! Thanks for checking in ! Just busy, that's all. At the beginning of each season I make a list of what I want to accomplish and work to check the things off the list. I guess it never occurs to me to cross off items. Ha! Sometimes I get overwhelmed. I will probably post from time to time, but it won't be too regular. Sharon has already given me an idea for my next post.
      Hope you had a wonderful Summer!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  10. My dear Jane. After I stopped sobbing and could see again😊...without going into my life story, I want you to know...that your post indeed, was an answer to my prayers...in a very tough place right now.
    So. Thank you.🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my dear, if there is anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. A prayer has been sent up for you.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. This is Rose... accidentally commented as anonymous. Thank you for the prayer.🌻

      Delete
    3. You're welcome Rose. Isn't it funny how the Father works?

      Delete
    4. Yes. Seems we were both blessed and all the sweet readers you have here. He is faithful...

      Delete
    5. Amen to that Rose! I don't always enjoy writing this blog and all the "contrarians" that comes with it, but I do so love hearing from all the dear readers. I think we have built a sort of community here, in a way, where, as Brooke says we have comradery. It helps to know there are other like-minded people out there in this crazy world. Probably why I'm so reluctant to throw in the towel on this blog.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  11. Hello, Jane. I am a faithful reader though I don't comment very much. I enjoy all your posts -- with or without photos. I do hope you will continue but I do understand if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Mary! As a faithful reader, you know how many starts and stops I have made. Ha! But I guess I will never truly quit. It seems there's always something I want to share.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  12. Jane, I am so glad I happened upon your blog! Yes, I read it to the end and it was a very good "visit", indeed. I am searching for like-minded old-time bloggers. I am not saying necessarily old age wise now😊, but those bloggers of a decade or so back.
    I prefer it. I love all things having to do with home and gardening and even as much self-sufficiency as possible, though my husband does still works an outside job and finding time can keep him from more of that. But we do have a mini homestead of sorts. I am a retired homeschool mother, full-time homemaker of 42 years. I am the blessed one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy! To me self-sufficiency means doing the best with what you have and not wasting resources. So I'm sure you qualify! I don't believe it is entirely possible to be completely self-sufficient , and it wouldn't make sense fiscally to be so; for instance, to have home-grown flour, I'd need to have enough cleared land to grow a crop of wheat, the machinery to thresh and grind it into flour and a building to store it in. Factor in not only the cost for the machinery and the land but the taxes upon the land and the time spent in producing that flour, it just doesn't make sense financially. Ditto for most meat, except for chickens and turkeys perhaps, by the time you buy the feed, house the animals, and most people don't butcher and process their own meat (around here it runs around 2-3 dollars a pound, it is better on the pocketbook to just buy good meat at the butchers and eat less of it.

      As for the question you asked earlier, you are a senior citizen when you have reached the age where you must sign up for medicare. Ha!

      Well, welcome to the blog!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete