Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2026

Please Bear With Me

 Hello dear friends!  Long time, no see!  Ran asked me to download some pictures of our garden, as this blog acts as a sort of journal of our life, so please bear with me.

This summer has been very good for the garden, although Spring was almost completely non-existant.  We were still wearing our winter coats into the first week of June.  Seeds were slow to germinate and had to be replanted several times.  (That's why it's important to save your seeds from season to season.) Anyway, after a cold start, the weather cooperated and we've had the perfect amount of rain and warmth to make a lush vegetable plot.  Even that dreadful heat wave that plagued many only lasted a few days here. 

The birds have completely transformed my flower gardens.  It is so strange, plants appear in different spots than where they were originally planted.  Some fade away and others appear.   
  


Notice the milk weed on the right hand corner?  For years I have been trying to get some to reseed itself in my yard to no avail, but this year it showed up on its own.  The Monarch butterflies are loving it.

Where I've Been

Liberosis:The desire to care less about things, to let things go. Having a sense of liberating indifference to other people's opinions. A longing for playfulness and lightness in life.

A few years back I started thinking about my life.  Not to sound morbid, but realistically I only have about a decade or so of it left.  And time flies so quickly!   I just want to enjoy what ever time I have left.  One day Ran and I were driving down the road and I noticed that the sky was so blue.  When was the last time I really looked at the sky?  So the past year, I've been really "looking" at everything.  The wonder of it all!

While I'm taking in all the experiences I can, I've also been letting go of a lot of things.  Not only downsizing and clearing physical clutter, but a lot of baggage that comes from growing up in an abusive home.  One day I was having a conversation with Ran and I told him, "I can't figure out if (a certain friend) is being passive-aggressive or just thoughtless."  and he said something so simple, yet so insightful that I feel as if it has changed my life forever.  He said, "Does it really matter? "  No it doesn't, hurtful is still hurtful, isn't it?  So out went the people that bring drama or negativity into my life.  My circle is very small, just my immediate family and a few neighbors that I chat with over the fence and some folks I deal with on a weekly basis, like my little Amish friend at the scratch-and-dent store and the gentleman that regularily checks us out at the Mennonite store.  And you know what?  I have never had such contentment in my entire almost seventy years of life.

Right now, the garden dictates my life.  The weeding, the watering, the picking and the  preserving take hours out of each day.  Someone, rather snarkily, I might add, told me that they wish they had such a quiet life and could lie about all day in their pajamas and read all day.  Ouch!  Did I have flashbacks to the days as a stay-at-home mother when people used to say that old, tired phrase "I wish I could stay at home and lie on the couch eating bon-bons all day."!  For the record, I don't think I've ever eaten a bon-bon in my life. Ha!
In between garden chores, I snatch a few hours to do something creative.  At the moment, I'm knitting a rather complicated intarsia patterned shawl and doing some Jacobean crewel-work (a kit I picked up at a church rummage sale for a quarter).  I've narrowed down what I read to books that are  either informative or are in my wheelhouse (set in the period between the mid-1600s to the early 1800s in the country with lot of country folklore and customs). Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm also trying very hard to keep to a consistent exercise regime (and hating every minute of it). Ha!  Well, at least it is keeping me from becoming a complete marshmallow during the winter's slower months, so there's that.

As for this blog, I really don't know what its future holds.  Ran does like to come on here and see how our little home has changed throughout the years, so I suppose I will post from time to time.  I think I've said all that I can say about being thrifty.  I've learned that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.  Experience and necessity are really the only two ways anyone will ever learn to be truly thrifty.  I realize most of my advice goes in one ear and right out the other.  So what is left to write about? The weather?  Even I would be bored with that and I am easily amused. Ha! Well anyway, I'm just rambling here, so if you have stuck with me thus far, I thank you kindly.  Have a blessed August!

Hugs
Jane

34 comments:

  1. Jane, I'm always pleased when you decide to post. Being a decade older than you, I'm considering what material things as well as mindsets I need to be 'weeding out.' Some of the hurts and dysfunctions from our youth really do continue to impact us life-long to different degrees. It is remarkable that as fairly flawed human beings we continue to function and interact.
    I'm limited now [by arthritis] in ways I can garden, and not yet resigned to the raised bins [for vegetables] and mostly container gardens for flowers. Gardening and canning have always been a large part of our food economy, but I'm realizing that I've created stockpiles of such things as canned tomatoes and green beans. There's always the haunting remembrance of a 'bad winter' when we were more than usually dependent on food stored in pantry and basement.
    The details and practicalities may vary but I enjoy reading about the way other families embrace sensible ways of living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Sharon! Yes, there's always that haunting rememberence as you say. Each year we say we will cut back on the garden, but then we see the news and think perhaps this isn't the year to do it. Ha! But I have cut way back on my canning. I keep a running list of what I need and only can that much plus a few jars extra just in case we have a bad crop next year.

      I'm glad you are finding a solution to the arthritis with your raised beds. I'll be joining you soon. Ha! I consider myself fairly fortunate that I'm still able to get down there to weed, considering everyone else in my family has had at least one joint replaced by my age due to arthritis.

      Hope the world and the weather is treating you well!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. I've read your blog for a few years now. I don't think I've ever commented. I love that each post reads like an old fashioned newsletter from the pre-internet days. The sort of days when you would share your frugal successes, recipes, and other tidbits with a friend or a neighbor. I am a very frugal person who is totally turned off by how many blogs are trying to sell stuff. So, the number of blogs I visit these days is pretty limited. I enjoy whatever you have to write about. In a previous post (maybe a year ago?) I think you mentioned that you dress in an old fashioned style and you exclusively wear skirts. I dress in a similar way, and if you ever wanted to show some outfits (on a hanger or just in a flat lay style) I would be interested in that!
    -Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alyssa! I'm afraid blogs are becoming a thing of the past. No one reads anymore, especially when you get the same information on some YouTube or TikTok channel, done in a cinematic manner. Yes, I wear old-fashioned outfits. Ha! Right now I'm practically living in a chambray prairie skirt because it is so light weight and breezy. My summer wardrobe is very limited. Thank you for the suggestion. I suppose I could show some of my wardrobe.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. I'd like to see photos of your wardrobe, also. Did you sew them yourself?.....

      Delete
    3. Hello Carla! Some things I sew, some I knit and others I thrift. Most of my summer clothes are thrifted because I'm hard on them during the summer and they get lots of stains and tears. I don't want to invest a lot of time or energy into them.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Experience and necessity are really the only two ways anyone will ever learn to be truly thrifty…truer words were never spoken. We just have to walk the walk and talk the talk. Great blog post, Jane.
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly wish that it wouldn't be necessary for people to gain the experience, Belinda. But we can take heart in the fact that hard times make you stronger.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. What a lovely surprise, to find your post this morning. I've also been in a weeding out era, decluttering closets and cabinets. As the years move by, I've also been thinking about the preciousness of each day, and all there is to be grateful for. While I sometimes mourn all the plants that have faded away here, the ones gifted by the birds are always a happy surprise. It's crazy what folks think this kind of life is. Certainly not a lot of laying about, that's for sure! But so much more rewarding. I love seeing and reading about all your creative projects. I recently took my first ever sewing class, to try and up my skills a bit, which was a lot of fun. Your garden is impressive. Many blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Laurie! Creating your own clothes is so rewarding. And it is so hard to find things made out of natural fabrics in the colourway and style you want. Not enough hours in the days to sew all the things I'd like to make. This shawl is really monopolizing all my free time at the moment. Yes, the garden is thriving this year, but I fear we will have a short growing season and the peaches and tomatoes won't ripen before the first frost. They are in a sort of suspended animation at the moment. Maybe the Grand Solar Minimum? Last year by mid-August the hot summer weather was over and, as I recall, we had an early frost. Gardening sure does keep you on your toes! Hope all is well!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. Love your blog an grateful for any post you wish to share. I'm still working through your recipes and enjoying them I'm 80 and have been "extremely" frugal for over 50 years and see no sign of the necessity changing.

    Annieh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annieh! I tell you one recipe that I've been using a lot lately is that summer squash casserole one. Lots of summer squash this year. Ha! And it's practically free. Being extremely frugal is fun and adventuresome isn't it? I wish more people thought of it that way instead of feeling they are being deprived of something. Hope you are doing well!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. Happy to hear from you, Jane! Thank you to Ran for nudging you to post.
    I am about the same age as you and the time I may have left to live has been dawning on me much more lately. It sure does make perfect sense to let go of people, things, and ways (or habits) that are not worth your time anymore!
    I always enjoy the things you post - creative doings, clothing, gardening, recipes, frugality, and just plain life musings.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Jo! I've really been enjoying my season of wonder. There's so much I missed out on throughout life, just by being busy. I guess that old cliche about stopping to smell the roses is true. Ha!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. Hello Jane...Shirley from Virginia saying hello....
    I very seldom read blogs these days but saw your post over at Mrs. White"s blog. It is so uplifting to my heart to read your words....about every sentence was something right out of my mouth:) I am in my early 70"s now and have also let go of many, many things. I loved your husband's words. What does really matter at this stage of life? Letting go of the things the Lord has shown us to be detrimental is such freedom, be it things or people. Who has the energy at this stage of life to keep untangling words, behaviors, or circumstances that drain energy and confuse the mind? I am living a quiet and fulfilling life these days with just immediate family and a few caring neighbors. It is glorious. I love the light feeling of burdens lifted from my shoulders.
    When our hearts are free we are able to enjoy the little unnoticed things we have overlooked all the past years. You are a special lady. I have enjoyed the times I have visited you here in blogland. Take care dear heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shirley, what a wonderful lovely comment. Thank you so much for the encouragement! Bless you!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  8. Hello Dear Jane!
    I am so happy to read another blog entry. I too understand the feeling of letting go of people and things that are harmful and embracing goodness and simplicity at home. My circle is very tight and very small and I don't see that ever changing. My joys are always home based. I love to experiment in the kitchen... how many ways can one prepare a pot of beans or serve zucchini ? That's my type of creativity. I used to really enjoy several blogs but then most became influencer/sales people for all sorts of stuff. I'd begin reading an article and then boom the mention of the particular must have product and where to purchase it-just follow my link, sigh. I have 4 blogs I read now. What books have you read from that time period that you've enjoyed? I don't have any recommendations for that time period but I'll mention a book I think you may enjoy -Walking Backward into the Wind by Helen Magnum Fields, it's set in the 1920s but it is a beautiful story of family and community resilience and simple living. It is hot HOT here, oh how I dislike summer ugh. I have plans to do some hand sewing projects. I just finished up several little cross stitch projects and need to take a few days to cut out things. No canning this year as husband and I ended up quite sick and unable to put in a garden, we have a few fresh tomatoes and that's about it. However, I canned a lot last year so we are fine. Thank you for taking the time to share and I look forward to reading more. I particularly love to see things you've created, home decor, and as an earlier comment suggested seeing outfits is always enjoyable. Big excitement tonight. Daughter and her family are coming over for movie and popcorn -see we do big events! We are looking forward to visiting and holding granddaughter -she is delightful! Take Care my Friend, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Ginger! I recall you wrote that your husband had pnemonia, I do hope you didn't get it too. We weren't going to have a big garden this year either, but then thought better of it, looking at the economy.

      Summer squash and beans have been the mainstay of our menus these days. Your imagination is the only limitations to the ways of making them. I suppose one day I'll get tired of squash but never beans.

      Although it hasn't been particularly hot here, I still dislike summer. About 72 degrees is my heat tolerance. And all the creepy crawlies! Just got rid of a hornets nest in the orchard today. As Dylan Thomas wrote he knows everything about the wasp, except the why.

      Thomas Hardy is my favorite author. I like that sort of brooding, country mood with some country folklore thrown in for flavor. I just finished Witch-bottles and Windlestraws by Joy Stonehouse. It was a ho-hum read but it was interesting learning about the birthing customs of the early 1700s Yorkshire.
      Thank you for your recommendation!

      Hope you have a wonderful time with family and get lots of cuddles with the grandbaby! Thanks for stopping by!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  9. (from Andrea)....beautiful garden and flowers! Ditto ditto! I figure I only have a decade to two left. Probably less more so than the longer side of life. I am purging to live more simply and so that my kids won't have to purge. Life goes quickly. I'm trying to pray more also. And to clear my mind of the world's happenings. I figure, we used to not be exposed to so much news, t.v., movies, etc. Our poor brains having to be so busy with unnecessary stuff. Anyway, I can't articulate too well. But I love what you wrote. hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my dear friend! I've stopped paying attention to the news and world events. There is nothing I can do about them anyways. No one that is running for any position in the elections is anyone I would choose for the job, from the Senate race right down to the village councilmen.

      One of the good things about three people living in a very small house, is that we have to purge fairly frequently. Ha! This week Jamie has been cleaning out the pantry and the things he's found shoved back into the corners. It's shameful to be so wasteful. I told Ran no more shopping until the cupboards are bare. Also been trying to knit down my yarn stash, but that is a slow process because at the pace I knit, I can only knit a few skeins a month.

      It's so good to hear from you! Hope you are finding your return to life before instant-everything is giving you peace!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  10. Please keep posting, I love hearing what you are up to. I would love to know what books are your favorites. I come here and even read your older posts and feel so peaceful. I’m 70 years old, so social media is so different than it used to be, but your comforting sweet blog is steady. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for stopping by! My favorite books are the classics, Mill on the Floss, Silas Marner, anything Thomas Hardy, the Bronte sisters. I love anything set before the industrial age in rural communities that has a lot of the traditions, customs and superstitions explained. I just love to learn how country folks lived before the world was industrialized.. Strangely, everyone assumes I like Jane Austen, but I find the heroines too silly and manipulative for my taste. My three favorite TV series are Tales of the Green Valley, Larkrise to Candleford and Cranford. I could watch those three shows on a non-stop loop and be content. Ha! Hope that gives you an idea of the sort of things that interest me.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  11. Dear Jane,
    Hello from Oklahoma!
    My son (28) came for a visit last evening, in our conversation he asked about you. He loves to hear me talk about your blog.
    I decided to check to see if you had a new post, much to my delight you had. I do look forward to reading what you have to say. A good blog is hard to come by, yours is gold to me.
    Your garden is beautiful!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then, Laura, I guess I'll just have to get busy and write more posts so you two will have something to discuss. Ha! Today was our "big event" of the year, the Blue Water Garage Sale trail. And some people look forward to trips to Europe! They don't understand fun, do they? Hope you and your son had a nice visit!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. How was the Blue Water garage sale trail? A trip to Europe sounds dull to me. A garage sale trail is more my style.

      Delete
    3. We had a grand time, thanks for asking! I'll write about it next time I post. Need to get through a bunch of canning at the moment. Everything is ripening at once!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  12. Hello Dear Jane! I read this post when you first put it up, and I was so excited to read it! Just now getting a chance to come back and comment.
    I'm grateful all is well in your neck of the woods. We're doing well ourselves and just trying to get through this heat.
    I am like others and love to read anything you share. Your blog truly feels homey and simple...with grit and "sticktoitiveness". It's one of a kind, to me 🤎
    Take care, my friend!
    God bless you and yours.🕯️🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Rose! Your neck of the woods really has had to bear a lot with that horrible heat wave, hasn't it? Hopefully soon you'll have some relief. The evenings are getting cooler here, so there's hope! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  13. I really loved the part about “liberosis.” There is something so freeing about caring less about unnecessary drama and paying more attention to the sky, the garden, and the people who truly matter. Your post felt peaceful in the best way. 💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Aritha! ( I'm sorry, but I forgot what you prefer to be called.) There's a lot to be observed these days. Ha! I've noticed that the tips of the trees are turning red, so cooler weather will soon be arriving. That makes my heart sing!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  14. Thank you Ran for encouraging Jane to post some pictures!! I'm always so excited when I see a new post.
    The garden looks so healthy and beautiful, your hard work is paying off. Have you read anything by Gene Stratton Porter? I really like her style and stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brooke! Oh yes, I've read some of her books; The Girl of the Limberlost and Freckles. You know what I really love? Finding an antique book at an estate sale by some non-famous writer that turns out to be a gem. It's like finding a diamond in a rock pile. I think I'll revist Dickens this winter. Or maybe Washington Irving. Been quite a while since I've read those!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. I recently found a wonderful book at a thrift shop! It isn't an antique but I loved it so much!! The Wounded Yankee by Gilbert Morris. It is apart of The House of Winslow series. There were three and I bought them all on a whim, a quarter apiece!
      Happy reading whatever you decide to read. :)

      Delete
    3. One of life's little pleasures is to discover a new author that you thoroughly enjoy, Brooke. Happy reading!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete