Search This Blog

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Anyone Can Learn to be Thrifty

Hello dear friends!  I hope you are enjoying this Mother's Day.  Here's a bouquet of daffodils for you!
Ran is making me a gluten-free pizza in honor of the day.  To be honest, I don't much care for these sort of holidays and would just as soon ignore it completely, but I'll take pizza any day!
I'm not a fan of "special" days designated to honor people. Every day should be a day to honor those you love, just as every day should be a day of thanksgiving, a reminder of the resurrection and His birth.   And that is all I'm going to say on the subject

ANYONE CAN TO LEARN TO BE THRIFTY

Many people say to me that I am lucky to have been born with thrifty parents to learn from, this is the furthest thing from the truth.  My parents, having been young during the Great Depression, wanted nothing to do with thrift in their adulthood.  They spent their money as soon as the got it.  My mother bought new furniture for the living room every two years, my dad bought a new car probably every three years.  I remember that  my mother always redecorated her bathroom every season and would throw out all the towels and buy new ones in a seasonal color scheme.  Even as a small child I thought that was a bit wasteful.  When my father died, he was in debt.  So, no, I didn't learn about being thrifty from my parents.  But for some reason, even as a small child, I could see that this way of spending was not the way I wanted to live.  Some day perhaps I will tell you the story of when I was a child (maybe five or six) the Holy Spirit ?, my inner conscience?, my gut?, whatever it was, pulled my ear and said "pay attention"  upon seeing a TV program that was made about serious subjects that would be considered too disturbing for children. Anyway, from that day forward I was fascinated by how people lived through hard times.  When my friends were reading Misty and Flikka and dreaming of ponies and living in castles with a prince, I was reading the Moffats, Little House on the Prairie and other titles I have long forgotten, taking note of the meals (potato pancakes and applesauce) the ways they made do, the ways the entertained themselves without  toys, etc.  I was a weird little kid! I eventually graduated to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Diary of Anne Frank and autobiographies  and biographies of people in poverty,  Then moved on to history books.  

Although my father wasn't thrifty by a long shot, he did love history and I spent many an hour listening to him discuss world events with his friends, relating them to past history.  One of the subjects that made my ears prick up was when he discussed the inflation in Germany after the first world war.  I also had an amazing history teacher in high school, Mrs. Peck, who has lived through many of the major historical events in history, including both world wars, the depression and  the dust bowl.  She didn't  teach the class from our textbooks, she would just get up in front of the class and start telling us stories of her life.  For her, it wasn't important to memorize dates and facts, it was important to learn the causes of events.  That is why I am so passionate (some say too passionate) about what is happening in the world today.  I've seen this cycle in history before and the outcome is not good. Bless Mrs. Peck!  

I'd say I have a PHD in thrift, having studied it  for over half a century. And you can too.  I once heard an interview of a president (I think it was Truman) say that the best way to learn history is by reading the biographies and journals of those that have lived it.  And the best way to learn thrift is by reading and listening to those that have lived through difficult times. We live in a wonderful age, when you can go to YouTube and find old interviews of depression era people. There's wonderful programs like BBC's The War Farm and Tales of the Green Valley.  Watch them and take notes.  Use YouTube for some good instead of for entertainment. You can even learn how to sew and can from some of the videos. Talk to the old folks,  in these days of not valuing our elderly,  which is shameful, you will find a font of wisdom. One of my biggest regrets is that I hadn't paid more attention to the stories an old family friend, Jack Ransom, told of his life at the turn of the last century in Cross Village Michigan.  He lived among  Native Americans and learned many of their herbal remedies. How I wish I had written them down! 

And never stop learning.  We've been watching old episodes of The Amazing Race, and I garnered some tidbits from the Babushkas in Russia this week about how they plant their potatoes that I might implement this week, depending upon our horrible weather.  Just like a magpie, gather a bit of knowledge there and bit here, discard the useless and build up your own treasure of wisdom.

TWO THINGS I LEARNED FROM STUDYING THE PAST

With so much to be done, and so much of it had to be done manually, you'd think people were scurrying around like squirrels in a peanut field back in the pre-industrialization , but no, people took time to enjoy what they had, a lesson I have discovered recently.  I'm sewing a vest, but not being able to avail myself of a fabric store,  I'm learning to make-do and many ways.  I'll write more about it when the project is finished, but the entire time I've been working on the vest, I keep thinking about how the pioneer women didn't have a lot of things and sewing a dress or a blouse was an exciting event for them.  They didn't rush through the project to get it over with but took time to enjoy the process as it was a rare occasion. How they lovingly cut the pieces of their patchwork quilts from the fabric scraps, thinking of the warmth it would give a loved one in the cold, taking their time to construct them as material became available. So many of the hobbies we do are done in a hurry; quilt in a day, weekend knits, no-rise bread, etc. .  I love to knit and people are always asking me "aren't you finished yet? ".  But I only like to knit when I want to knit, seldom am I happy with a project that must be finished on a deadline.  Taking time to do a proper job, something you will be proud to put your name to, may be an old-fashioned conceit, but what joy it is to make something well-crafted. We have too many things. We have too many cheaply made things.  Enjoying  fine craftsmanship is one of the lessons from the past.

The other lesson from the past I've been thinking about this week is " eat what you grow, grow what you eat". It's been a cold spring so far, we had snow on Friday and Saturday, so we are taking our good old time about getting our plants started.  We are expanding our garden so we've had many discussions about what should be planted.  One of the main lessons you  must learn when you garden is to only grow things that you eat.  No use taking up valuable garden space to grow  radishes or eggplant if you only care to eat those once a year. (I'm talking to myself here).  And the other part is to use what you grow.  One of the first things I planted when we bought Sweet Briar Cottage  was two rhubarb plants.  I love rhubarb, not for the flavor, but because it makes you feel like a "real" gardener to see those big beautiful plants pushing themselves up through the snow in March.  But to be honest, two bushes of rhubarb is a lot of rhubarb.  I hate wasting it, but most of my neighbors do not know what  to do with it and it makes me shudder, every time I see it going to waste.  So this year I'm making a concerted effort to use as much of it as I can.  So far I've made stewed rhubarb (now there's something old-fashioned) that we stir into yogurt and oatmeal, canned eight pints of strawberry-rhubarb pie filling (from last year's frozen strawberries)
This will be used to make jam tarts throughout the winter.  I don't really need to make any jams or jellies this year, but perhaps I'll make some and just push eggs and toast for meals.  I also made this Rhubarb Custard Pie:
It's not the prettiest, because I don't have  red stalked rhubarb, but pale greenish ones.  I've often thought of digging up those plants and planting the prettier, redder  plants, however, these plants have been faithful throughout droughts and bitter cold, so I feel they should be rewarded by allowing them to have a long life.  Here's the recipe if you want it (trust me it's tastier than it looks)

Rhubarb Custard Pie

3 C. diced rhubarb
1/2 C. sugar 
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 egg
1/2 C, cane or corn syrup
1 tbsp. butter, softened
1 pie crust

Put the rhubarb into the pie crust.  Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a bowl.  Add the egg and beat well.  stir in the cane syrup and the egg.  Beat well.  Pour over the rhubarb.  Bake at 450  degrees for 15 minutes.  Turn down the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 40m  minutes or until the rhubarb is tender.

A note on recipes:

I keep a binder with all of my garden recipes.  I start with the first fruits of the season. rhubarb and asparagus. and  continue on as things ripen in the garden, ending with squash and pumpkin recipes.  This makes it easy for me to come up with ideas for whatever is being harvested.  I just merely have to turn to that section and I have an entire collection of ideas for uses for the said fruit or vegetable. Keeping your own recipe books are so important.  Can't tell you how many times I have turned to an old "receipt" book that I made during our lean years.  As a matter of fact, one of our sayings around here when the budget is tight is to say "time to return to the old receipt book". 

Well, that's all for this week at the old Zempel boarding house!  I hope you all have the loveliest week ahead! Oh!  Before I go, I wanted to tell you that I've been enjoying this blog, A Word Fitly Spoken ... Proverbs  25:1.  It is filled with lovely words of encouragement.  Thought you might enjoy it.

Hugs
Jane







29 comments:

  1. I love rhubarb...and I am the only one in my family that does! So I'd make it into a sauce like applesauce but with rhubarb and freeze some and mix it into hot cereal.

    Happy mother's day ...the flowers are so nice! The pizzas look perfect.
    I think overspending is an addiction. I think you learned from your parent's faults in that matter. Most people I have known in the past that had real expensive homes were just more in debt. Which is not a way to live because anyone can lose a job anytime. I'd rather stay in my humble house than to ever have to step down.
    I was the dreamer...reading Misty and Flikka...lol. when i was little.. I finally read the Little House series to my youngest daughter and I still can remember their lean times! hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, Andrea! Maybe I'll make some up and can it.

      I used to plant about 100 daffodils every fall. I haven't in several years but they are spreading to cover quite a good area of the back yard. They come up in spite of the cold. Love 'em!

      I wouldn't want all the worry about making a big mortgage payment, not to mention the property taxes. We are finding out more and more ways everyday how the pandemic is affecting people. My son works for probably the premiere hospital in the state just told us that they lost so much money by not having elective surgeries etc. that they won't be contributing to the employees' retirement fund this year and will probably be laying people off. There's little ripples of the cause and effect everywhere. Nothing is open here yet, I'll be curious to see how it affects businesses.

      Ha! Most children are dreamers. I was a strange little kid for sure!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Yes, property taxes! We purposely chose a house considering that...because they last forever! Unless you live in Florida...very good state with discounts for widows, people living 25 years there, and veterans. Our local hospital laid-off hundreds and it is a small hospital. No covid patients, no elective surgeries allowed! hugs, Andrea

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I think senior citizens are exempt from property taxes. It's worth looking into of your thinking of retirement. Some states I'm pretty sure we'd be unable to live in on our retirement income the taxes are so high. I fear it will be hard times for many. It was that long ago that nursing was a good career choice because there were plenty of jobs. Sad.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    4. I forgot to mention...I agree about all these holidays. There are so many, and I'm tired of everyone patting themselves on the back for any reason. I also got tired of going to graduations from this and that and lauding everyone. hugs,andrea

      Delete
    5. There's a big sign on our hospital "thank you heroes" The place is a ghost town and there's only been a handful of cases in our county. Oh well, I guess it makes people feel good about themselves. Personally, being a mother is probably the most selfish thing I have ever done for myself. I'm the one that wanted the family! No need to be thanked for it. But it was nice visiting over the phone with the boys.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. I so enjoyed reading this post Jane. I even read part of it out loud to my husband. It was very encouraging, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherri! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Have a wonderful week!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Dear Jane:

    Thank you so much for your post. I love reading and learning from history about how people have lived especially in America in the last 200 years. My sister and I read the Little House series and the Long Winter always stuck with me and how they barely survived. My grandmother was born in 1900 and went through both wars and depression. She died when I was 15 so I didn't have as much time to discuss as an adult all of the questions I could now think to ask. My mother told me because of WWII and the food rationing that when it was over my grandmother could not face molasses again because of having to make do with that instead of sugar. But they lived on a farm and were much better off than most. I remember reading a copy of Reminisce and there was a story of a young boy during the Depression who had very little money but had to make a choice of purchasing a can of beans (ready to go!) and a bag of beans and he chose the bag because he knew it would go farther for his family. Anyhow ... loved your post! Jamie from MT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie! My dad lived on a farm during the depression and since it was easier to raise a hog than cattle, he ate a lot of pork. He never ate it again. The Long Winter was my favorite of the Little House books. How they suffered and sacrificed! So much respect for those pioneers. Our forefathers were tough! Have a lovely week!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. Dear Jane, I smiled but at the same time I felt rather sad as I read your comment about people not knowing what to do with rhubarb. It reminded me of a time when I offered someone a big bag of French beans and she refused because "the ones at the supermarket are already washed and trimmed" We have been enjoying rhubarb from our allotment for several weeks now here in the UK. I've made a rhubarb chutney which we like with cold meat and cheese, and our favourite jam which is rhubarb and vanilla. No waste either because once the jam is ready to pour I fish out the vanilla pod, wash it, dry it well and stick it back into the jar of vanilla sugar I make. Food prices here are sky rocketing so the more I preserve the more we save, and it all helps to build our pantry up.
    Best wishes to you.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Leslie! Oh boy! I know the "washed and trimmed" people very well. It is sort of discouraging. Rhubarb and vanilla jam sounds delightful! Haven't checked out the food prices here recently, but I suspect they are going up also. Yep, the more we preserve the less we will have to buy. And it is so much fun to go to your pantry and see it stocked with the fruits of our own labor. Hope you have a wonderful week!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. Like you, my parents were spendthrifts and I decided young I wanted to walk a different path. Though I am less thrifty than I used to be, my husband and I saved quite a bit during his productive years and we were able to retire early.

    Ironically, it was the Great Recession that somewhat loosened our spending habits because that is when I realized we could carefully save for our entire lives only to have reckless bankers lose our savings. That is the point when I decided life was too short and I would spend some of our savings enjoying life a bit more. I am still thrifty compared to most folks. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sharon! Once you meet your goals, I see nothing wrong with enjoying yourselves. Right now, I'm enjoying spending a bit of money supporting some small businesses and craftspeople. There's that old saying, "You can't take it with you"! Have a lovely week!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. Hi Jane!

    Due to Washington state's continued stay at home order until the end of May there was no family Mothers Day so I asked my husband what he thought would be a fun dinner since it would be just us and we had homemade pizza too.

    I'm glad I always order the seeds I need every January since I noticed and have heard the seeds for anything common or popular are gone. I save some at the end of the season (mainly beans) but not as many (such as tomatoes) as I should. We have tried to buy some plants recently without much luck either. For my own interests I usually buy cooking herbs to use fresh and they really seem to be unavailable. Sage, oregano, thyme, a sheltered rosemary, chives and the mints return to my yard the next season but nothing else. I think there's a lot of first time gardeners out there this year.

    I was interested in replacing my graniteware water bath canner this year since they start to rust in corners over time but I think I'll be using mine for another year since I have heard they are pretty much unavailable because of all the new canners too. I guess I could use my pressure canner without pressure if I had to but I guess I don't want to. I'm also glad I have enough lids for this year since I always try to have a supply ahead.

    I thought your writing of thinking of the past and supplies when sewing or knitting was exactly what I was thinking this weekend when I was considering my own situation. I definitely thought about the women of the past who had to use what they had on hand or wait for what they needed. However, (Haha) we won't discuss the guilt of the size of the yarn stash I seem to have acquired...

    I am also thinking the economics of this pandemic will reach a lot more people than the prior recession and may change a lot of thinking about managing money and resources. I read an article regarding our state's employment security dept. where occupations that are rarely at risk like doctors who work in clinics, lawyers and government workers are filing unemployment claims.

    I hope you have a really nice week. I need to do something with my own rhubarb. Your pie is a wonderful idea! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! I've noticed around here that while they have allowed garden centers to reopen, there's not very many plants or varieties in them. Only a couple of tomato and pepper plants. Don't know if it's because more people decided to garden this year or the plant nurseries decided not to start too many plants because of the uncertainty of their market. Either way, I'm glad we started ours from seed and I'm glad we saved so many seeds last year. I'm beginning to see the importance of that now.

      I bought a steam canner a few years back, which I really enjoy. Doesn't take so long to get the big vat of water boiling. But usually for things that are canned in pints and half-pints I just use my pressure canner because it's handy.

      Oh my yarn stash! Easily enough for two lifetimes. And people are still giving me more!

      Every day I learn of a new way that this covid-19 is affecting people. Even strange ways, like a friend that has to travel for work and is wondering where he will stop for bathroom breaks on the road because all the fast food joints, roadside parks and rest areas are closed. Now there's a problem I never would have thought about. My husband is driving around with expired licenses plates and drivers license because the Secretary of State's office are closed. I was talking to our Amish friend that has one of those salvage food stores and she said unless they start up auctions again soon they'd be going out of business. So many ways, big and little, this shut down is affecting people. We are in for some interesting times!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. Such an inspiring blog post, thank you for sharing your wisdom with us. I'm sure I would have enjoyed Mrs. Peck. I am similar to you, I really wanted to learn from the humble and frugal people in my life as a girl. My grandmother was and still is my favorite person as far as a role model. She knew how to live simply and make the most of very humble circumstances. I look back at old photos and realize that her home, which seemed rich to me at the time, was poor and shabby. Funny how my heart saw her and all she had as rich and admirable. She had the riches that don't pass away.

    Thank you for mentioning my little blog. Your encouragement does my heart good.

    Hugs from Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shirley! Oh you would have loved Mrs. Peck! I was fortunate to have several teachers that just loved teaching. I would have loved to have met your grandmother. Love colors all things! Your lovely blog deserves to be mentioned. I hope that others enjoy it as much as I do!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  8. Dear Jane,

    Yum! I can taste your rhubarb pie from here! We make a similar one...it uses an egg, but still has the double crust. Don't get rid of the greener rhubarb for the red...I find since we moved to a place that has the red rhubarb, that it just isn't as tart as the green type. I like tart!

    You make an interesting point about the taking your time over things vs. now and our "instant gratification" crafts, etc. I have a lot of knitting books from the 40's, and all of the yarn used is teeny tiny! Knitting worsted is considered to be pretty bulky yarn for back then. I often look at the patterns for all of those knitted dresses in that skinny little yarn, and wonder...were they faster? Did they have more hours in the day? Ha, ha. Thinking about it, that thinner yarn is definitely more wearable than something chunky, but they also had no t.v....and you can easily knit while listening to the radio. I imagine many other factors played in, too...like more women home, having a daily routine that gets cleaning, etc. done, with time still in the day for something a little more relaxing, and not to mention less clothes per person each season. Very interesting to ponder.

    I think that is very interesting about your parents' reaction to having been thru the depression. It seems it was either continuing to save and be thrifty, or else entirely the opposite. Very lucky you were such a "weird" (as you say) little kid...those kind of stories always appealed to me, too (and still do). There's something so tangible and worthwhile in those lives, such as Little House stories, etc. Those Farm t.v. series you mention are fabulous...our family loves them!

    Just about done my sewing for the birthday and have started knitting a pair of mitts that I can work on while watching movies. I am knitting one of those 40's sweaters out of skinny yarn right now, but I keep making mistakes while I'm watching.

    Gotta vacate the computer for someone else. Thanks for the post!

    Jen in NSxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the rhubarb, Jen! Thanks for the info!

      Yep, it seems that sports weight was about as thick as it went back in the day. I'm currently knitting a vest for my husband from one of those patterns. The entire back was ribbing on #3 needles! Personally, I'm not very found of knitting with thicker yarns either. The finer the yarn the finer the garment. Happy day when I finished that! Very interesting points about homemakers and crafts. I'm sure there were a lot of factors.

      Oh yes, A Word Fitly Spoken is a lovely blog. Really food for the journey. Glad Shirley has decided to blog again. Stay warm!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  9. Oh, P.S. I forgot to say that I love reading "A Word Fitly Spoken." There have been several times I have been moved to tears by posts that have really hit their mark. Lovely.

    JEn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those childhood books too as well as the Boxcar Children. Love homesteading books, biographies etc now. Kindred spirits I guess :) Nannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindred spirits indeed, Nannie. How's your hips doing?

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  11. We do get homestead exemption on our house taxes which is a huge savings. We have to reapply every year but that is a minor thing to have to do for the huge savings it is. From a couple thousand dollars a year to under $50.00 for us. I was slated to have my hips replaced in April but had to change dates because of Covid. I chose late Sept. now so I could garden and can. Also have received 2 elderberry plants for free from a friend. We always put up lots of elderberry juice each year as an anti viral. On the farm we had lots of bushes in our pasture, but now last year my hubby picked berries along the road sides, which were abundant but it will be nice to have our own on our property. Nannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a savings, Nannie! We planted some elderberry bushes this year too. We are trying to fill every square inch of our 1/2 acre plot with something useful. It's getting there! Been such a cold spring, I wonder if we will have any fruit this year. Fortunately there were no blossoms on the trees this past weekend \ we had snow and temps. in the low 20s. Along with all this covid business it looks like we have the grand solar minimum to deal with also. Will just have to go back to what our northern European ancestors had, lots of root crops. Nice to read that you are improving your new digs. He who plants a tree, plants for the future!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  12. I was fortunate to come from a long line of frugal people on both my mom and dad's side. It wasn't so much that they talked about it, but we lived it. But we six kids had all we needed and felt very secure.

    My mother was brought up during the Depression by HER frugal parents. One day she came home from school and told her mother that a boy in her class had holes in the soles of his shoes. Her mother chided her by saying, "Listen here, young lady. There is nobody as poor as you are." Mom told me this really surprised her! But her parents were hard working and resourceful, so she really didn't realize there wasn't much money.

    It's great to see you back here, Jane!

    Isabella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabella! I guess people don't realize their straits if the are secure. Your grandparents must have done a great job of it. Ha! I asked my mother to tell me stories about the depression and she always thought she was so poor because she only had seven dresses! At the time, we were going through a rough patch, I had only about three changes of clothes, so if I thought my mother could offer any insight, I was mistaken. Ha! Not everyone was poor during the depression and I'm pretty sure some people that are fortunate enough to hold onto their jobs will make out fine too during this economy. As Rhett Butler said, "There's money to be made in the tearing down of a country as much as building it up". Sad fact of life, but true. Sort of the reason I live here in Michigan is because the economy was so bad that housing was cheap. But I'm rambling! Hope you have a lovely weekend!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  13. dear jane,
    i love rhubarb ,i have 6 bushes of rhubarb. i will made sirup,jams and jellys and a lot of rhubarb chutney this year fof course many cakes ,too. yesterday i plant a lot of my tomatoes and salad out,sowed radish and plant garlic. unfortunatley have i not a only onions this year,because they was sold out.all stores are open in germany.we have summer temperatures here,but it is to dry,we need rain.thank you for the recipe!!! the prices for fruit and veggies are very expensive this year,also milk butter etc climbing higher and higher.
    have a wonderful day my friend,hugs regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of rhubarb, Regina! Sounds like you are keeping busy in your garden. Looks like this is the year for it. Yes, I've noticed meat prices have jumped in the past few months. Amazingly, cheese has been the cheapest I have ever seen it. I could buy a 40 pound wheel of Wisconsin cheddar for 99 cents a pound! Unfortunately, I don't have room for a 40 pound wheel of cheese. It's strange, some things like milk and cheese are cheap, but butter never is. Guess you and I will be busy preserving this year! Hope you get your rain, but not too much!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete