Search This Blog

Monday, May 4, 2020

Foraging and Weekly Happenings

Hello dear friends!  How are you this lovely Spring day?  We had a few days of warm(er) weather so I've been enjoying some outdoor activities.  It was so nice to go outside without having to put on my big bulky, my name for my down-filled winter coat.  Rejoice in the little things! It was warm enough for the dandelions to pop out.

FORAGING

Dandelions must be the easiest to recognize and most abundant food to forage that ever existed.  When foraging, make sure to pick only in areas you know that haven't been sprayed with herbicides or fertilizers or where pets like to do their business.  This year we tried something different, dandelion fritters:

They were quite good, although a little piddley to make"

Dandelion Fritters

1/2 C, flour
1/2 C. cornmeal
1 tsp. your favorite seasoning (we used Cajun)
1 egg
2 tbsp. milk
the heads of clean dandelions


Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl.  Whip together the egg and milk. dip the heads in the egg mixture then into the flour/cornmeal mixture.  Fry in hot oil until the coating is browned.  Salt and pepper to taste.

We also had dandelion salad with this using some of the dandelion leaves and some of our lettuce that we are growing in our cold frames:

This recipe is just your basic wilted lettuce salad but with dandelion leaves in lieu of lettuce, you can use spinach too.

Wilted Lettuce

a few rashers of bacon
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp. sugar
lettuce

Fry the bacon until crisp. Drain off all but a tablespoon of the bacon grease.  Add the vinegar and sugar to the frying pan along with the bacon grease.  Stir until  the sugar is dissolved.  Put the lettuce into the hot frying pan and spoon the grease over the top, until the lettuce begins to wilt,  Sprinkle the bacon over top.  Serve immediately.

This was a doubly foraged meal for us as the vinegar I used was made from some foraged crab  apples.  Spring is a wonderful time to forage.  We went out morel mushroom hunting Sunday afternoon, or as we call it "a nice stroll in the woods". We rarely find any.  And when I think of the grocery bags full that we used to pick as children. Ah! The good old days!

There's also lambs quarters and purslane to be found at this time of the year. And our friend Jason told us his young son made dandelion chips (like kale chips).  Pretty clever!  Caleb is parsimonious person in training. You're never going to hear me complain about free food.  It's like money  in the bank!

WHAT'S  GOING ON

Ran and Jamie swept our chimney.  That saves us about $150 and a lot of frustration, because dealing with independent small business people around here, particularly in anything that is home-related is like banging your head against the wall a lot of  the time.  Anyway,  somehow, the chimney brush came off  midway up the chimney.  Thoughts of how embarrassing it was going to be to call the chimney sweep  to have him retrieve the brush quickly popped into my head.  So I was standing there fretting , when Ran turned to me and said "You standing there worrying isn't helping anything." Ha!  So true!  How many times have I stayed up all night worrying about things, only to have nothing come of the problem?  How many times has what I worried about came to fruition only to discover that I could handle it and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined?  And yes, it is true, worrying never helped anything. So whatever situation you are going through right now, don't worry, instead put on your thinking cap and come up with a solution.

I've had many discussion with family and friends over the past few weeks about what may or may not happen to the economy.  Some experts say we'll be in the next depression soon, others say we'll bounce back. Some say there will be food shortages, some say not.  I don't know and I'm through trying to make any predictions.  But I do know that putting aside some things has never hurt anyone.  Remember when everyone was predicting a major catastrophe for Y2K?  I didn't really believe the hype, but I bought a big bag of pinto beans, just in case.  Nothing ever happened, but we used the beans anyway.  It certainly didn't hurt.  And that's the beauty of prepping, if nothing comes of whatever the headlines of the day are, you still can use the food.  So to that end, when I went grocery shopping this week, I took notice that there was very little meat on stock at Aldis and what they had they were limiting to two packages a person., so I went to a smaller independent grocer and purchased some pork and canned it up.  I also noticed that  our Mennonite butcher's (he raises, butchers, and sell his own meat) parking lot was full.  Usually, we are the only people in his store. Let's just say he doesn't normally do such high volume business. All this to say in my long-winded way, "what would it hurt?" to stock up a little?

We order our firewood this past week.  Our local supplier is a very nice  man and always quickly fills our order and is very generous.  We order 10 cords but he always brings between 13-15 cords.  And never charges extra! As a matter of fact, he gave us a discount because we are loyal customers.  Makes a person happy to support a small businessman like that.  If only they all could be so dependable!   So Ran and Jamie spent the week splitting and stacking wood.  Ran splits wood, with an axe ( no log splitter for him), like he was thirty years old.  All this fresh garden produce must be doing his body good, because he'll turn 63 in a couple of weeks.  My thirty-something year old son, says Ran can run circles around him. Just goes to show you, that yes, good organic produce and plenty of it, plus regular exercise keeps you young.  We never think about our age, occasionally we will overhear someone state theirs and we'll look at each other and say, "That old person over there, is younger than us!" Ha!  We never realized that we had gotten old, been too busy I guess.  So anyway, we are ready for winter, although spring has barely arrived.  Up here we only have two seasons, winter and getting ready for winter.  Tonight it is supposed to snow. Ugh! But I guess it just makes the warm days sweeter. And I hope that you have a sweet days ahead of you!

Hugs
Jane








20 comments:

  1. Neat recipes! My mom grew up eating dandelion salad. They certainly are plentiful where the grass isn't treated. You are ready for next winter! Good time to get the wood. Wood around here is plentiful due to all the woods and there a trees that have fallen. We are even allowed to obtain a permit for it from our HOA and take it in our parklets. Same here....I have a big bulky winter coat...which I might wear this week as we have some snow coming also...hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Andrea, we have plenty of wood available due to the ash borer taking taking down all the ash trees. People even beg people to come cut their trees for free firewood. It's a lot of work though. I'm so sick of looking at that down coat! I have plenty of pretty tweed blazers and spring coats that I can only wear for about 1 or 2 weeks out of the year. Hoping the snow will miss you!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Jane...have you seen this?
      https://vimeo.com/414289492
      it was already removed from youtube. it is called plandemic.
      i think you would really appreciate seeing it if the link works. hugs, andrea

      Delete
    3. Well now that vimeo link is taken down! Our small town area was passing the links around also. It is amazing of how the truth can get around! hugs, Andrea

      Delete
  2. I picked a lot of dandelion. I made dandelion-honey,dandelion jam,sirup and oil.
    with the leaves have i made a pesto.here is it cold,too.
    have a nice day,regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is slow this year, isn't it Regina? Pesto is a great idea too! I remember that you made pesto from the carrot tops, also. I made dandelion jelly once , I remember it was a lot of work, so my hat's off to you! It sure is pretty though!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Do you remember when cleaning the chimney meant putting down a long length of rope and tying a huge bundle of prickly gorse on the end, the man at the top pulled it up??? Hope they managed to get it fixed, worry is something we do so easily. Spring, and your down coat, well, yesterday I ordered online a new goose down duvet inner for the larger duvet cover I bought before lockdown, I was so tired of the one we have not being wide enough. Daughter and I had a long discussion about how the down was collected, and I did read that down from Geese in Hungary is plucked, then they are kept indoors until the new coat is adequate. I looked at synthetic ones, but they were almost all made in China. Keep safe, and enjoy your firewood when it is needed again. I have lit our fire this morning, cool and very wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean! Yep, they got it fixed but ended up being a bigger job than they wanted. Ha! Took time to reattach the brush properly, so next time it hopefully will go smoother. I remember when no one cleaned their chimneys. We used to have a lot of chimney fires back in the day! The synthetic goose down would probably be kinder to the geese, but it does not keep you warm like the real thing. Not even close. Guess it is cool everywhere. A few days of sun really makes it hard to face the cold again. But warmer days have always arrived eventually, no reason to think they won't again! Keep safe and quilt on!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. Mmmmmm.... cityhomemaker here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Thank you for the reminder of the thinking cap! Oftentimes I think I traded mine for google searches!

    Along the way we lose common sense reading and listening to the "experts".
    Something I have been pondering lately.
    God bless
    Mrs.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy just to google something isn't it. Mrs. O.? We've been watching reruns of Amazing Race while we are waiting for spring to arrive and being on lockdown etal.. No one knows how to read a map or how to do simple mathematics, they are so reliant upon their phones, they've lost those skills. For every expert out there, you'll find another one that says the opposite. I just go with how The Spirit moves me, and when I do, it comes out right in the end, although sometimes it is a long and arduous road. But lessons learned! Hoping you have a lovely week. God bless!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. We tried our first stirfried dandelions recently. We're new to foraging, but are learning to look for good food outdoors. I agree....it never hurts to have some food put aside. It's easier than fighting the crowds at the stores. Have a blessed week.
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs. C.! Did you stir fry the leaves or the heads or both? Haven't tried that yet, but I'm experimenting this year with lots of foraged foods. Might even try cattails! Can't tell you how many times that "never hurts" food we put aside has come in handy. I want to tell you how much I'm enjoying your blog. You are a wonderful writer! Hope your week is blessed also!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jane. I'm glad your writing encouraged me to try blogging again. I'm still nervous but I'm enjoying it.
      We stirfried the green leaves of the dandelions. We thought they were bitter, but we ate them anyway. We didn't know you could eat the flowers. Will give them a try with your recipe one day.
      Have a blessed day. Mrs. C (Shirley)

      Delete
    3. Well you needn't be nervous about blogging, your blog is both beautiful and encouraging. Yeah, I find the leaves a tad bit bitter also, I try to mix them in 50/50 with other greens.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. Ha, ha...I love it: "Winter, and getting ready for winter". :) I feel the same. We have a few snowflakes swirling around as I type...in MAY! We have a friend with an organic farm up the road, and his greenhouse has been producing spinach and lettuce for awhile, now...I traded some eggs for some spinach, and when I divided my irises, I offered him some, and he brought me a big head of lettuce as a thank-you. We have really been enjoying having a green salad!! I think I will try making your dandelion salad this week, and the fritters sound interesting, though we don't have that many heads...YET. (They will come with a vengeance soon enough!)

    I think that is great advice about stocking up...it surely can't hurt! And a full pantry is money in the bank! It's especially great advice because you actually USE your pantry items. I think some folks get the idea it's for "saving" and never get into their pantry stock and keep it rotated, so they end up throwing things out. (Especially since folks get so freaky about expiry dates these days.)

    And yes, I've had to tell myself not to worry many times over the past few weeks. As the bible says, it won't "add one cubit to [our] stature". :)

    I am in awe of Ran. My hubby usually stacks it and then splits it throughout the winter, as it is needed, but we have to tear down our woodshed (it's falling down and no longer safe), and won't have $$ to build a new one this year, so stacking with a tarp would be best (and take up less room) if it's split before it's stacked. I'm not sure if it would inspire him if I mention it! Ha. I'll have to be diplomatic.

    Am busy sewing a cute gingham sundress for a birthday present. Good thing I had the supplies ahead of time, because shopping for a birthday is still pretty limited! Hope things are beginning to open up a bit, there. Thank you for posting! Always enjoyable and interesting!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All it takes is one decent day for the dandelions to bloom, Jen. It's amazing how quickly they pop up.

      We just cover our wood with a tarp. Haven't had any trouble with soggy wood or creosote. Not ideal, but ... I told Ran to take his time and do it over the Spring a little bit at a time, but he just never quits until it's finished.

      Oh yes, there's lots of verses in the Bible about not worrying. Shows a shocking lack of faith on my part. I blame it on my heritage. I come from a long line of worriers. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

      Totally understand about the birthday present. With nothing open except grocery stores, I had to get creative too. And I'm doing some sewing too! I didn't have any interfacing, so I used some stiff wool and I didn't have any fabric that was suitable for a lining, but for some strange reason I had saved the linings from some woolen skirts that I had cut up for some quilts. Now I know why my grandma saved all those old zippers and buttons! I'll never look at a piece of old clothing in the same way again! Hoping you will soon have warmer weather!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  8. Yes, we don't think of our age either until I read or hear someone say something like, "And the elderly 55 and older...." What???

    Isabella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I've had the same reaction, Isabella!

      HUgs
      Jane

      Delete