Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2022

Thanksgiving Is When the Turkey Defrosts!

 Hello dear friends!  I hope this post finds you all well!  Well, after a very long Indian summer, we are really starting to experience the onset of winter.  Already had snow and this morning was a balmy 22 degrees (Fahrenheit).

I keep reading and seeing YouTube videos about the high cost of Thanksgiving this year.  What?  Thanksgiving dinner is one of the cheapest meals you can make for a crowd any time of the year.  A long time ago my husband was met with a rather harried worker that he managed, that wanted to talk to him in private.  What could it be?  Some harassment charge?  Was she quitting?  Had she made a major mistake on one of the formulas?   Nope.  What she wanted to know was how we managed to feed four teenage sons and still save money with two in college.  You'd never guess his response.  "Turkey is not just for Thanksgiving"!  Back then you could buy a turkey for around 37 cents a pound.  I think I made one almost every month.  Even this year, with inflation and everything else going on, I bought a nice store brand one for 55 cents a pound and even Walmart had the high-end Butterball and Honeysuckle Whites for 99 cents a pound.  The 55-cent turkey came from Meijer, a national chain of stores throughout the Midwest and there's Walmarts everywhere, so I don't want to hear it from those that whine that prices are sooooo much lower where I live.  And even our smaller grocery store had them for 50 cents a pound with a fifty-dollar purchase.  You have to be a little proactive and seek out bargains.  People are always skeptical when I say how little we spend on groceries, so here's a breakdown of this month's expenditures:

A 15# turkey for $7.86 (Meijers)

4 12 oz. pkgs fresh cranberries at $1.50 (Walmart)

A bunch of celery for 99 cents (Aldi)

A `14 oz pkg of golden raisins for $3.69 (Meijers)

A dozen free-range eggs that I bought at a church bake sale for $2

A half-gallon carton of Lactaid milk for under $3 at Aldi (for Blackie the cat)

That's our total grocery expenditure for this month.  I think it totals to something under thirty dollars.  I can hear the skeptics saying, "But that doesn't make meals for a month!"   It doesn't, but I don't need to buy enough to make 30 meals because I always stock up when prices are at their lowest.  For instance, at our local Amish scratch-and-dent store, we purchased Starbucks coffee beans in a five-pound vacuum sealed bags for $15.  That's $3 a pound!  We bought enough for year; I doubt we'll find it at a better price.  Last Thanksgiving, Meijers had butter for $1.79 a pound, so we bought 12 pounds (enough for a year) and froze it.  We live very simply and really only need to buy staples, which we buy in bulk at one of two stores, a Mennonite bulk food store or an Amish store.  We grow all our own vegetables, herbs and fruits (I really didn't need to buy that celery because I had some canned and dried from the garden, but it was just too tempting) and Ran is an avid fisherman that supplies us with most of the meat that eat, enough to have at least one meal a week of fish throughout the year. And truly that is all the meat we need, but whenever there's an amazing sale, I will buy meat and can it. Like those roast I wrote about in the last post. I'm considering buying another larger turkey and canning it at these prices.  I can the meat because we only have a small freezer that is filled with fish. Which is why we celebrate Thanksgiving when the turkey defrosts! No room in the freezer!

When our children grew up and moved away from home, I used to get depressed during the holidays since we were alone during the holidays. But gradually I learned to love celebrating the holidays whenever we choose to celebrate them.  After all, holidays are just another date on the calendar.  I don't need the government to declare s special day to be thankful.  Every day our little family of three bows our head and gives thanks. Christmas and Easter are focused on the meaning of the day, a day of quiet contemplation.  It is very serene and in concert with how we live our lives all the remaining days of the year.

BTW, I calculated how many meals we will get out of that $7.86 turkey.  Day1: Turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, squash and brussel sprouts.  Day 2: leftovers.  Day 3: soup  (made from the carcass) with lots of homemade noodles and some of the turkey diced up with barbecue sauce on homemade rolls.  The remainder turkey was put into 5 quart-sized freezer containers for meals at a later date.  These meals will include turkey burritos, casserole and pot pie.  Each of these meals will make enough for two days.  So, what is that? Thirteen good meals for under $8?  And that doesn't include lots of snacks.  BTW, we only eat two meals a day, breakfast (usually oatmeal) and lunch.  Three meals are too much, and we don't like to eat late in the day.  If someone is hungry later in the day, they can always eat leftovers and we keep cheese and homemade crackers on hand. 

Later in the day on our Thanksgiving I made cranberry gingerbread from the leftover cranberry sauce.  Warm gingerbread with a cup of Russian tea by the fire is one of the coziest things in the world. Especially if you are wearing a pair of handknit socks.

These are a pattern that I just made up.  I've been trying to knit down my yarn stash.  Lately, been enjoying the creativity of making up my own designs.  Once you know the basics of knitting socks, mittens, hats and even sweaters, you really don't need all those knitting patterns and books.  Since most of my yarns come for thrift stores, garage and estate sales, most patterns that require specific yarns are impractical for my use. Some knitters may pooh-pooh using vintage yarns, but I've found most to be pure delights to work with, just look for skeins that say 100% wool. And being the oddball that I am, I really love making and using something no one else has.

So anyway, I suppose that I prattled on here long enough.  For all my American readers I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!  And to everyone else, I wish you a very merry week!

Hugs

Jane


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful socks! I hope you have a nice thanksgiving! So true about turkey...they are inexpensive especially considering how much meat and soup you can get out of one! Many stores here give their own brand out for free if you spend so much money at that store over the month, or you can apply it to a reduced price in a name-brand. The only trouble with turkey, as we get very tired of it meal after meal. I do freeze, but it is better for me to keep on eating instead of freezing because I tend to freeze too many leftovers. When my kids were young, I'd stock up on turkeys also, because the stores tend to go up in price and that's if they carry them through the year, which many don't.

    We scratch our heads all the time....we can't figure out what people do with their money ....maybe they eat out too much, which is a big waste of money.
    I love your cranberry gingerbread...what a great idea, plus your photo of it looks so nice. I might make it today since you got me hungry.
    I think it is an adjustment to family life when kids move away from home. It was very hard for me. Now, though, I'm starting to enjoy solitude! hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to make the turkey in different ethnic way, Andrea, so it doesn't feel like we are eating it over and over again. We'll have Chinese stir fry one day and Mexican burritos another. But in truth it doesn't take much to make us happy. Ha!

      I think when we get to be our age we want less. Isn't life strange, when we were young and wanted things, we couldn't afford them, now when maybe when can afford those things, we no longer desire them. Kind of like Nannie McPhee!

      I think all those years I was more enthralled with the idea of big family gatherings rather than the actuality. Maybe because when I was a kid, all the aunts, uncles and cousins lived within the same little village and after a few hours of togetherness, they all could return to their own little homes. I wish that is way it could be for my children too, but I guess they are products of being too successful, just as yours are. So they live all over the country to work at exciting careers and busy lives. And we should be thankful for that! I hope you have the loveliest of Thanksgiving no matter how big or small your family gathering!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. You "hit the nail on the head" there! oh well! I'm glad I at least had a childhood with relatives, but then my relatives were more fun than my childhood family. I don't know why I look at any other blogs...you have such a wealth of information through all your posts. So heartwarming. I'm copying your recipes right now as the cranberry gingerbread got me started in looking at more on your posts. And with my older mind, everything I reread is "new" again to me. lol hugs, andrea

      Delete
    3. What a kind and lovely thing to say, Andrea! Thank you so much! I'm so glad we "met" through our blogs! Well, you'll have a lot of reading! Not known for my brevity!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. Hello Jane, years ago we bought a ham. I thought it was SO expensive, so I added up each individual serving, and it worked out at less than $1 per person. Savvy shopping, a good exercise in maths, as whenever I look, no one item comes in standard sizes from all the brands. Down here, where we live, each Tuesday there is a 5% discount at the two large supermarkets for Gold Card holders, those over 65. And at the Warehouse, one Tuesday a month.Not sure what that discount is, but it all helps.Socks, my Grandma knitted lots, so I have been told, for soldiers in WW2, and I still have her sets of 5 steel needles, very fine, the points well worn , I just cannot discard them, even to an op shop. She also knitted my singlets, guess they were pure wool back then in the 1940's, and a crochet chain, and a little holder for a camphor block to ward off a cold.Hope you are all well, and I know you will be well and truly ready for your winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Jean! People need to consider the cost per serving. Hams can be bought here very inexpensively all year round, but coming around Christmas, you can get a really great deal on them. Remember those tinned hams? My father always bought them during the Christmas sales and put them away for emergencies. He was a prepper and didn't even know it!

      It so lovely that you kept those needles. Sometimes it's nice to have something tangible. The only thing I have of my Grandmother Wright is a few Christmas ornaments, she died in childbirth long before I was born. But those homely little ornaments give a connection to her. Just thinking that they were something that she held in her own two hands and treasured gives me a warm feeling. Did the camphor block work at warding off colds?

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. We are very blessed to have several discount/salvage food stores nearby. Husband Jim has always been self-employed [we are retired now] which meant a fluctuating income. So, buying in bulk, breaking things down into smaller packaging to freeze or store, buying case lots of things we know we will use, as well as canning produce from our own garden or the local produce auction--its a way of life. I go in Wal Mart perhaps twice a month--bracing myself for the ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how we have always lived too, Sharon. And those salvage food stores were a real blessing! I bought cornmeal there a few months ago for 10 cents a pound! Chicken feed probably isn't that cheap. We only have a Walmart or Meijer that is local, if you call 17 miles away local, so we only shop once a month and make a big day of it. It's worth the gas for us. There's a Mennonite and Amish bulk food store, 2 Amish salvage stores, a small butcher shop and a church-run thrift shop that charges 50 cents for clothing. They also give away produce leftover from their food pantries. It's a fun trip! Have a lovely week!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I am happy to say we still have family around and we like to host the gatherings as we have the room to do it. I've gotten my turkey buy 1 get the 2nd 50% off. I also have a bird in the freezer from last year so will cook that up soon too. Got my butternut squash peeled, and cubed and in the freezer ready for next week's recipe of butternut casserole. I grew a lot of squash. We do potluck dinner so I am not responsible for everything. That really cuts the cost. Our food comes from Aldi's, the food pantry and then a couple local stores. Watch the adds. I learned that from my mom as I am from a family of 8. Potatoes are cheap and add a lot to a meal. We had our first snow yesterday. I don't mind. I don't waste energy hating the cold. Can't change a thing by that. Thanks for the new post. I look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nannie! I'm glad you will have a nice family gathering. Potluck is the way to go. When I lived at home, that's how our family did it too. Someone had always bagged a deer by then, so we had venison to stretch the meat. And as you said, potatoes stretch a meal. I actually look forward to the cold, especially since we no longer have to be out on icy roads. When they get icy, we stay home. In truth, we grew up much further north than where we live now, and it doesn't get wintery enough for me. I miss snow measured in feet rather than inches! I wish you a happy Thanksgiving, and I know it will be!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. Dear Jane,

    I just now realized you had a new post up, and it's a great one! We do the same thing, only with chicken, as we have all our old layers in the freezer that are best cooked in the crockpot for hours. That way, I get broth, too. First night, a "mini-Thanksgiving-type" meal, after that, an assortment of meals that use cooked chicken (pumpkin black-bean chili, etc.), and I finish off with a batch of chicken noodle soup (which really only has about a cup of meat in it, if that...it's all about the broth and noodles! :)) I did one of those hens last night, and Someone must have been prodding me, as today my hubby woke up sick, so I had all the fixin's for chicken noodle soup at the ready. Your cranberry gingerbread sounds delicious! Your socks are beautiful, too. I wanted to ask you, as I know you sometimes unravel sweaters to use the yarn; do you remove kinks (by steam or something?) or do you knit with the crinkled yarn?

    I just love your down-to-earth posts, Jane!! Happy early Thanksgiving!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike, Jen! Ha! Hope your husband is feeling better.
      I knit with the crinkled yarn and really wet the wool when blocking. If I had a yarn swift, I might make them into long skeins and wet them and hang them to dry, but I don't. Never had any problems with the way I do it, but it isn't the recommended way. If you have any doubts about the yarn, you could always knit a small sample and see how it works for you. I'm a self-taught knitter so I do a lot of things the "wrong" way. I taught myself to knit when I was eight from one of those "teach yourself to knit" books and never got the hang of some of the conventional ways of doing things. Stay warm, it looks like winter has arrived.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips, Jane. I'm a lot more interested in hearing from someone who has done it and how it's worked for them than in hearing what the "correct" way is, whatever that is! Ha! Muchly appreciated! xx Jen

      Delete
  6. i cant sub to the posts. it says its not secure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that! I'm not really techno-savvy enough to know how to fix the problems. I've been blogging on BlogSpot a long time and it is always changing. It's very frustrating for me too. If anyone out there knows how to fix the problem, I'd appreciate the help. As I don't blog very frequently, perhaps you could check in a couple of times a month to see if a new post is up? I truly appreciate your attempt to subscribe!

      HUgs
      Jane

      Delete