Search This Blog

Thursday, December 1, 2022

A Cozy Day


 Hello dear friends!  Happy first day of December!   I had every intention of writing another post in November, but life got in the way.  Last weekend we drove downstate to watch our grandchildren, Felix and Violet, in a community play.  I'm so thankful that they are growing up in a community that still treasures things like community playhouses and children participating.  They did a wonderful job!  And the next day our son, Erik, participated in a local craft fair.  Were there ever a lot of people there! And he made a lot of sales.  We are so proud of him; he's become quite the woodsmith. On the drive down everyone was so friendly wherever we stopped. I think it was the snow, it put everyone in a sort of "merry gentlemen" sort of mood.  On the return trip we meandered our way back home and stopped at some antique and thrift stores.  And at Tim Horton's for the last pumpkin donut of the year. It was a nice trip.

But today we are having one of those cozy days, I wish you all could experience.  It started with a spectacular sunrise; they have been particularly dazzling this winter.  There was just a skiff of snow on the ground, just to give the place atmosphere.   And oh!  How I wish you could smell our home right now!  Between the fire in the stove and the meatloaf in the oven, it is pure heaven!  Hamburger was on sale for $2.99/lb. this week, pretty unheard-of price of late, so we jumped at the chance to make one of our favorite meals.  The recipe is my variation of the meatloaf recipe from the Jimtown Cookbook:

Meatloaf

2 pounds of lean ground beef

1/2 lb. bacon

1 1/2 C. oatmeal

2 eggs

1 med. onion, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 C. sour cream

1/4 C. milk

1 tsp. thyme

2 Tbsp. dried parsley

2 Tbsp. dry mustard

salt and pepper to taste

1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbsp. maple syrup (I use my imitation maple syrup)

1 Tbsp. of a good mustard (not that cheap yellow mustard) I'm a mustard snob

Dice a couple of rashers of bacon (reserve the remaining bacon for the meatloaf top) and fry in frying pan.  Take the bacon from the grease and sauté the onions and garlic, drain. Combine with all the remaining ingredients except the syrup, mustard, and remaining bacon.  Put into a baking pan that fits the amount of mixture you have.  Top with the remaining bacon.  Stir together the maple syrup and mustard and pour over top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the center of the meatloaf reaches 165 degrees and is cooked through.  You all know when meatloaf is ready!  Drain the grease and serve. 

 Oh my! Tastes like the best Christmas sausage and even better the next day! We always serve ours with baked potatoes, since we are using the oven. No sense in wasting the heat!  And I always bake an extra potato to make my refrigerator potato rolls for sandwiches the next day.  I even use the grease from that was drained off the meatloaf for the fat in the roll recipe.  Waste not, want not!

Needlework

As this blog is in a way, my personal journal, please bear with me whilst I capture a few of the projects I worked on this month.  I started the Bright Be Thy Christmastide sampler last year but didn't finish it in time for Christmas, so I tucked it away with the decorations.  Nothing bores me more than working on holiday projects after the holidays have passed.  And the Holly Bears the Crown Sampler was just a little something that a whipped up whilst waiting to make the journey to the craft store to buy more yarn for a shawl I am knitting.  I'm trying to knit down my yarn stash, but I ran out of this yarn with a few more rows to go, so much for not adding to the stash!  Anway, I just used materials that I had at hand for the little sampler.  Most of my flosses and cross stitch fabric comes from the thrift stores and I dye them to come up with my own unique colors.  Some of those cross-stitch linens are outrageously expensive, and when it comes to these little samplers, whatever difference does it make, if it's not the exact same materials given on the charts? 

As I wrote, I dye my own linens as I like a primitve look to my works.  Here's how to make a dye for fabrics:

Onion dye

Gather as many onion skins as you are able whenever you are using an onion in cooking.  When you have around two cupfuls, put in a saucepan with enough water to cover.  Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer around ten minutes on a low heat.  Remove from the heat and allow the "tea" to steep overnight.  Strain.  Store in a jar in the refrigerator.  You can either reheat the "tea" and dip your fabric into it, allowing it to steep until it dyes to the color you desire, rinse and dry.  Or you can brush the dye onto the fabric and then dry it, without rinsing it.  Remember the fabric will look darker when wet then it will be when dry.  

BTW, one of the things I'm always on the lookout for during summer garage sale-ing and at thrift stores are interesting little frames to use in my needlework.

As I mentioned earlier, we stopped at some thrift stores on our return trip downstate and I was fortunate to find a stack of vintage The Workbasket magazines from the early 1950s for $1!  What a treasure.  While most of the patterns are pretty dated, it's a pretty sad statement about the condition of the world that today's children would not be thrilled to receive a bean bag or homemade doll dress in the Christmas stocking, but that has what the world has become, sadly.  Anway, what I do love about the magazines is that they have good old-fashioned, no-nonsense recipes.  I'm always on the lookout for recipes that use basic pantry supplies.  This year we had a windfall of apples, which I couldn't bear to waste.  We are not big fans of apple juice or sauce, but I canned a lot of applesauce, nonetheless.  I figured I can always use it for half, the fat while baking as I wrote about in a few posts back, or we can just learn to like it. Ha!  I also use some for  applesauce cake. It wasn't until recently that Jamie confessed, he doesn't like any types of spice cake. So, I guess I'll have to come up with other ways to use my canned applesauce.  So, I was thrilled to find this recipe:


Baking from the Pantry

Applesauce Icebox Cookies

3/4 C. shortening

1 C. sugar

1 egg, beaten

2 to 2 1/2 C. flour, or enough to make a stiff dough

dash of salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

1/2 C. applesauce

1/2 C. chopped nuts (optional)


Cream together shortening and sugar.  Add egg.  Stir in the dry ingredients, alternately with the applesauce, using enough flour to make a stiff dough.  Stir in the nuts.  Form the dough into a roll in waxed paper and refrigerate overnight. Slice thin (I slice mine about 1/3" thick) and bake on greased cookie sheets at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until edges begin to turn light brown.  The recipe says this makes 7 dozen cookies, but they must have been sliced paper thin.  I got about 3 dozen.

  The dough was softer than most icebox cookie doughs I have made, but they did turn out nicely. And surprise, surprise! Jamie loved them, even though to me, they tasted exactly like a spice cake only in cookie form. To fancy them up for the holidays, you could add a dab of icing to top.  Maybe caramel or maple flavored?  Or maybe add some chopped dates. Or just make them plain as they are. There's something about icebox cookies that have such a homey and nostalgic texture and flavor.  Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea in front of the fire on a cozy December day. The sort of day, I am wishing for all of you, dear friends!

Hugs

Jane







11 comments:

  1. Your samplers look so beautiful and festive! I did not know there was a magazine called, "Workbasket" from the 50's. You must love them! I do think it would be lovely if the children wanted homemade things too! Such treasures made from the heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs. White! Oh yes, The Workbasket magazine was quite a nice little magazine back in the day. If you like to do almost forgotten needlecrafts like tatting and hairpin lace, you'll find them a treasure trove. I still remember the Christmas my mother sewed an entire box full of doll clothes for me. It would be nice if family values were the same these days, but alas, I fear those days have passed. Just as in my father's childhood, he was overjoyed just to find a bit of candy in his Christmas stocking. On the other hand, I wouldn't much treasure very much that my grandchildren find valuable. Ha!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. hi Jane! Glad you had a nice weekend seeing your grandchildren and such a glorious morning with that sunrise. Your needlework is beautiful. I've dyed Easter eggs with onion, but never fabric. I do like natural colors, which mirror nature. Your meatloaf...I can smell it now. There is one grocery store that I used to go to that smelled wonderful as they cooked their own meatloaves. Always a satisfying meal. The cookies look good....I've never had an apple or applesauce cookie recipe! And they are Jamie-approved! hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! Yep, Jamie approved is a good thing. Now you can bake them and improve on the recipe, just as you made those cranberry gingerbreads look so lovely. Don't you miss the old grocery and butcher shops? They just smelled so good! They are going the way of the horse and buggy, but I know of a few in the area. The next time I'm there, I think I'll go inside and have a nice sniff. Might even buy something too!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Jane, your Mum would have worked so hard to sew those tiny clothes.My Mum did the same, and made all my clothes, even High School uniforms and shirts.And I can remember the books of cut out dolls and paper frocks etc, with tiny tabs to put behind the body so they stayed on. Bygone days for sure. Meatloaf, I add sliced apples to mine sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean! My mother was not a warm cuddly type of mother, but every time I think of those doll clothes, I'm reminded that she must have loved me to work so hard to give me a merry Christmas. Paperdolls! My older sister loved them, but was too embarrassed to buy them for herself, as she was too old for such things, so she'd buy them, cut them out and say they were for me. She worked at a dime store and always got the latest selection. I remember bride dolls were her favorite. I wonder if they even make paperdolls anymore?

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. We've had the sort of dreary weather that goes with early winter--grey skies, drizzle, bouts of gusty wind. When the sun peers through for an hour or two we are delighted!
    Good weather for home made soups [cream of butternut squash; beef veg; lentil] with homemade bread or muffins.
    I tried an oatmeal cookie recipe that made too many as I didn't particularly like the texture. Back to the tried and true 'Gingerdoodles' which are my husband's favorite.
    Not every venture into the local charity shop or Goodwill yields something great but its always worth a walk through in hope of a find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! It's been very dreary here, too. It makes me sleepy with so few days of daylight. But you are right, it's perfect weather for making soup. I've yet to find an oatmeal cookie recipe that I'm truly happy with. I bake the same recipe two times in a row, one time it will be soft and chewy, and the next time hard and crunchy, sometimes they spread all over the cookie sheets and sometimes they are cake-like. The best ones I have found are at the Subway sandwich shop. Ha! Hope springs eternal when perusing the thrift stores. Recently, I found some redware pottery, and I keep hoping I'll find more. It's got to happen some day!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. Hubby is at work today, part time maintenance at Holiday Inn, so it's a laundry, cleaning sort of Saturday for me. Yesterday it was baking cookies and making fudge day. I had to get that finished so I could get our daughter and her family's Christmas package ready to mail. I hope to get that off today if the hubby and the car get home before the post office closes. We are pretty low key about Christmas at our house but I still need to get some kids ready for our grandkids that come over here for Christmas day. The adults don't usually exchange gifts which I am glad for.
    Your meat loaf looks good. We love meatloaf at our house so I may get that on the menu next week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got my Christmas bakes finished and sent off on Wednesday, Nannie. Packaging them up was more work than the baking! Ha! We are pretty low-key here too. We don't even put up a Christmas tree because the only room large enough for one is a room that we don't use in the winter. But this is the first year I decorated the upstairs hallway. Kind of enjoy that!

      That meat loaf recipe is so good! Usually, I make meatloaf with peppers, onions and tomatoes and the usual ketchup on top, but once in a while, I have some extra bacon and sour cream in the house to make this version. You can use as much or as little bacon as you please, but oh boy! does it ever smell like the nicest country kitchen when in the oven.

      Hope you get your packages out and the postage does get too high ($42, here for three packages), but it is worth it to share the holidays with the kids away from home. We'd rather spend the money that way than on something for ourselves. Happy packing day!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Meant to say doesn't get too high! Wouldn't wish high postage on anyone. Ha!

      Delete