Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2022

A Catch Up Post

 Hello dear friends!  It's been a long time since I have written that!  Well, aren't we in a crazy time in history?  The past few years I has taught me to just roll with the punches.  Since I last wrote a post, we have had quite a bit of "excitement"; struck by a solar flare that did thousands of dollars in damage (surge protectors didn't help), a fire, two tornadoes  touching down within 500 feet of our house, my husband breaking out in hives throughout his entire body that took months to go away.  AND that was just the minor things.  Even worse and stranger things happened that I dare not write about.  So you see, I have been preoccupied to say the least.  But the strangest thing is that all my live I have been a worrywart, but I have such a serenity these days, no news can phase me.  As the saying goes, I prepare for the worst and pray and hope for the best.  

FLOUR AND BREAD

Perhaps you have heard of Mike Adams, the Health Ranger?  He has some good health advice, but is a very excitable guy.  Just to say, that I take everything he says with a grain of salt.  Anyway, he and I might add many others are predicting major rises in the cost of wheat.  I think we can already see that in the rising prices of bread in the store..  So if I were you, I'd buy myself a 50 lb. bag of flour and learn to bake bread if you don't know how already.   We store ours in the food-grade buckets, but the last time we bought some, we didn't have one available, so we stuck the bag in one of those space saver bags (the ones that you suck the air out with your vacuum  cleaner that are made for storing clothes)  sealed it up and stowed it away in a lidded bin.   BTW, I just want to mention oven canning.  I hear a lot of people talking of oven canning their flour and beans.  To me it makes no sense, as right on the bag of flour it says to keep out of heat.  It's heat that releases the oils that make flour go rancid.  But I may be wrong.  Feel free to tell me otherwise.  We are a family of three adults and we usually don't need an entire loaf of bread so I've returned to make my refrigerator potato rolls again.  It's handy when we just want a few buns for dinner or sometimes a cinnamon roll for fikka.  It's truly the easiest bread recipe, with no kneading and the buns always turn out nice.  Sometimes I cut back a little on the sugar, but the recipe is good how it stands.  And you can use a bit here or there over several days. So that's my view on the wheat crisis.  Better to be safe than sorry.

SOME INTERESTING DISCOVERIES

I'm always working at saving money and finding ways to do it easier.  Here's a few things I discovered while I was away:

Last November turkeys were on sale for 39 cents a pound, so of course, I wasn't about to let that bargain pass me by.  Ended up canning around 40 pounds.  I used to roast the turkeys, remove the meat, make broth from the carcass, then can them.  But I was tired so I just threw two of the turkeys in my biggest roaster. poured water in half way up the side and let them stew in their own juices.  It made its own broth.  BTW, I never season my turkeys because I skim all the fat off the broth and use it for greasing my baking pans and even for baking.  It's used the same as shortening. As a matter of fact, people always ask me for the recipe for my brownies whenever I serve them, I've always been reluctant to tell them that the secret is chicken fat.  Guess the cat is out of the bag now!

Another discovery came via Three Rivers Homestead, a channel on YouTube.  Instead of browning  her hamburger in a frying pan before canning it, she just dumps it all in roasting pan and roasts it.  Again I don't season and save the grease (tallow) for greasing pans, frying onions, and for making soap.  Just strain it through several layers of cheesecloth.

Speaking of hamburger, remember when it was in the news that Taco Bell's meat wasn't "real" meat but an oat mixture?  That had me thinking.  I had about a half a pound of hamburger, so I add about two cups of oatmeal to it and some of my own taco seasoning. and let it simmer away in the pan for a few minutes.   And you know what?  It came out the exact same texture  as Taco Bell's meat and tasted like it too.  The guys thought it was great.  Sure is a meat stretcher!

KEEPING BUSY

For quite a while I have been working on using up what I already have.  I had lots of wool left over from making several woolen quilts but couldn't bear to just toss the remnants  so I braided this rug:


I will probably never braided another.  It's very hard on the knees and hips to sit on the floor and sew.


I challenged Ran to make me a cupboard from scrap wood he had in the garage.  He made me this:


We like primitves, which lends itself to those kind of constructions.  He enjoyed it so much, that he now goes around on the evening before garbage pick-up and salvages any  wood.  He's making me a chimney cupboard at the moment.  At the very least the extra wood goes into the outdoor firewood pile, or if untreated, the indoor one.


I've also made several scrap quilts, trying to use up the scrap bag.  It's getting down there!  Here's the latest one that I just finished quilting:


Since I make mine the old-fashioned way; making a template, tracing around them, hand cut and hand sewn and hand quilted.  I concentrate on smaller lap sized quilts.  


Well this has gone on for probably too long.  So I'll sign off from the old Zempel boarding house once again!

Hugs

Jane


18 comments:

  1. Being self sufficient and using up or making do may well be the new way we all have to be. Love your burger ideas, and a rug, that is hard work to sew those rows together. So good to see you here again, and catch up on your news, but it seems you have had a very trying time. Your weather must be getting warmer, as we are cooling down in a big way, have already had one fire, the woodshed is full, and mornings are so dark a lot later.XX to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean! Yes, we may soon need to add oatmeal to hamburg to stretch it. Ha! It tasted good, though. Sometimes I think we need to just get past what we think and give it a try.

      Trying times only make you stronger. But a lot of very surreal things happened to us the past few years, that's for sure.

      We still have to light a fire. It must be warm somewhere. A full woodshed is a thing of beauty! Hope you are having a lovely day!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. Wow, you put so much work into your quilts. They look nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sharon. That's a fine compliment coming from you. The truth of the matter is that I've never been able to cut a straight line with a rotary cutter. Somehow no matter how careful I am, they always have a curve to them. Probably if I tried making something with a curve it would come out straight. Ha!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Just so inspired by what you do. I'm learning alot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! What a lovely compliment!
      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. Dear Jane,

    A wonderful chat to read today! I'm glad you survived all those crazy events you mentioned! Like you, I am naturally a worry wart...I usually try to compensate by preparing my world as much as I can. I don't think I've quite managed complete serenity, but these days have certainly taught me that I can't control everything, even in my own little world! I can only trust in God. I obviously needed to learn that lesson pretty badly, considering all the instances of its proof having been thrown my way these last couple of years! Ha, ha. Still, like you, I don't give up on preparation/thinking ahead for food, etc...I just have to remind myself about "best laid plans"! :)

    Great to see that Ran is still in fine furniture form...great cupboard! I love your braided rug and your quilt. The rug looks great on your floor.

    Today I've pulled out a bag of pork fat from the freezer to chop up and put in the slow cooker to render down. I always accidentally get it just a little too "browned" and "porky", but it still tastes good in things like gingerbread, etc. I loved your story about the chicken fat being your secret ingredient!

    I'm starting to think more about combining oven "on" times to keep from turning it on as many times during the week. I know this is common sense, but it's not something I've necessarily been good at following most of the time.

    Had a dusting of snow night before last--winter's not done with us, yet! Thanks for the movie recommendations--I'm looking forward to searching them out. Off to check the lard and then settle down for a bit of cross-stitching and reading (not at the same time...Ha!)

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jen! Hope the weather is warmer today. It's actually a very nice "sweater" weather here today. But oh my goodness! So much tidying up needs to be done in the gardens.

      I made some cookies with lard and cracklings a few months ago. Not a fan of bacon, but Jamie thought they were great. Said they combined his two favorite flavors, pancakes and bacon.

      I usually bake just once a week. Use a toaster oven to heat stuff and warm the rolls throughout the rest of the week. Been using the pressure cooker and crockpot a lot more for roasting things. We didn't know how high utilities were going to get so we've been very conservative with them.

      If we could both read and do crafts at both times, just imagine what we could get done!Have a lovely Easter!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Great idea about the toaster oven...I've never owned one, so that hadn't occurred to me.

      I'm with you about the progress we could make by reading and crafting at the same time! :)

      A blessed and joyous Easter to you and your family, too! xx Jen.

      Delete
    3. I'm old-fashioned, have a toaster oven instead of a microwave.

      Hope your Easter is a sunny one!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. I'm delighted to be able to read about what you are up to again, and very glad you made it through the many challenges you've faced. Your braided rug looks lovely, and the quilt is beautiful. I too am a worrywart. I can hope your serenity will rub off on me. I think of you every time I make cabbage and noodles, and am so happy to be able to visit you here again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked that recipe up the other day, Laurie! That's why I decided to open up my blog again.. I figured other people might want to do the same.

      For serenity, I'm just reverting back to the things that give me joy. And not letting people get to me. I figure whatever is making people act the way they do, is sad, but doesn't have anything to do with me. And whatever is happening in the world is out of my control. If I can do something to make the situation better, I do it, if not just let it go.Ha! Wish I had figured that out years ago!

      Now that you mentioned cabbage and noodles, I think that will be a dandy Easter meal!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. I love your cabinet. Just beautiful! He is very talented.
    So sorry about all the stuff has happened ..very challenging times for you.
    I wanted to let you know that I had hives a couple of years ago. The doctor said it could last 10 years ..it only lasted about 2 months. I looked up what it could be ..could be my high blood pressure pills or my diet. I stopped chocolate and dairy and that did the trick for me. It was very disturbing. I could take allergy pills but to the bed I would go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, Vickie! I'm glad you figured out what was causing your hives. Ran's lasted a couple months. We never quite figured out what was the cause.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this blog. Although I am 75 years old and have lived most of this, I feel a strong urge to teach my children and grandchildren. Your blog helps me remember the things I've forgotten. Again thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! How kind of you to say Mary K. It's true that everything old is new again. It;s good to know that we've gone through hard times before and came out just fine, isn't it?

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  8. So nice to see this post from you. Once in a while I will remember something on one of your posts and regretted not being able to go re-read it so I thank you for bringing it back to life.
    I love reading about saving money in our domestic endeavors and your blog is a treasure trove, Jane!
    The taco meat/ oatmeal thing is something I'm going to try so thanks for that.

    Your rug and Ran's cupboard are wonderful.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra! I've been working hard on some more unusual saving tips for my next post. We just used some of that taco/oatmeal meat in a sort of taco lasagna this week. Turned our great, so I hope you will give it a try. Hope you had a nice Easter!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete