Search This Blog

Sunday, April 26, 2020

An Old-Fashioned Sweet Briar Journal

Hello dear friends!  Happy last Sunday in April!  Today I thought I'd show you some of the things that we've been doing around here for the last couple of months and some garden talk, kitchen talk and all those things that this blog is known for. So here it goes!

GARDENING

Friday it finally warmed up enough for me to get out and do some weeding.  Ran has been tilling and planting for the past month.  Since we weren't able to buy seeds locally when we needed to get them started, we relied on what we could find, what we purchased last year and what we saved.  In the end, it probably saved us quite a bit of money because many plants that we normally buy, such as; broccoli, cauliflower, celery and leeks we started from seed. Those free sample packets the seed companies sent us with our orders really came in handy!  We used last years potatoes for seed, which is fine.  The only thing we weren't able to buy was onion sets because the vegetable market we buy them from is closed.  Ran is very particular about his onions and always hand-picks them from the bin.  It must be a good strategy because last year's  crop has lasted us until just last week.  Those were some nice onions!  Anyway, we did manage to find some onion sets in the garden decor area of a dollar store.  They've been planted and are sending out little green shoots, so hopefully they will be nice wintering onions.  BTW, I'd like to acknowledge Rhonda of If You Do Stuff, Stuff Gets Done for her very kind  offer to send me whatever I needed for my garden and also for all her support and encouragement  over the last couple weeks.  Getting to "meet"  people like Rhonda is one of the main reasons I blog, so if you haven't visited her blog yet, wander over there and say "hi"!   On another note, our governor has now allowed garden centers to reopen!  She crumbled under all the pressure, so there is an example of protesting, accomplishing something. She also opened up bike repair shops and golf courses (although you must walk the course and not ride a golf cart (?!), and I won't say anything more political here but leave you to draw your own conclusions.

The plot I was weeding is a good example of  the old proverb "a job worth doing, is worth doing well".  This plot was just put together in a slap-dash method to get some plants in the ground before the frost.  That was years ago and since then, I must have clocked hundred of hours weeding out all the purslane and binderweed and still pulling grass clumps from it to this day.  On the other hand,  the first plot I painstakingly hand dug, took the time to shake all the grass from the clumps, turned by a spade and hand tilled every square inch of, rarely needs to have much attention.  Just a quick hoeing.  So that is why I always tell novice gardeners to start small and do it it right the first time.  Your back will thank you in end!

Is it possible to love a plant?
This herb plant has been with me since I started herb gardening almost forty years ago.  Slips of it have been carried as I moved three times.  It has sired many plants that were the start of many friends' and acquaintance's gardens. It has been a loyal friend to me and I almost love it like a pet.  Last year, after a particularly brutal  winter, I thought I had lost it and was just sick about it, but I cut it almost back to the ground and gave it extra attention and it has come back bigger and better than ever.  I'm not one of those mother earth, new-agey  sort of people, but I do love this sage plant!  After all, we've weathered almost a half century together and that is more than I can say for a lot of people!

HOMEMAKING

You know the old saying "make do our do without"?  Well, my home is the ultimate "make-do".  Several times we've seriously considered selling it because it is just too small.  But as always, we realize that the problem isn't that the house is too small, it's that we have too much stuff!  One of the problems has been that it is a very old house and storage is a major problem.  Everyone that has read this blog for any amount of time, knows that I can about five-hundred to six-hundred jars of food a year.  When we first moved here, I made a back bedroom into a walk-in pantry, but one winter  a storm knocked out our electricity for five very long and very cold days.  It was then that I decided that a woodstove was a must.  Sadly the only place to put it that didn't have the chimney going up through the middle of a room or in front of a window or doorway was the corner of my lovely pantry.  And heat and canned goods don't play well together so that was the end of my dream pantry.  We tried putting long shelves on the upstairs landing.  But this is a very old house, built long before indoor plumbing, central heating or building codes, and I worried about all that weight on the joists and expected the whole thing to coming crashing through the ceiling any day.  In the fall when the shelves were at full capacity, I think I could hear the poor joists groaning.  So we finally came up with our final  and I think best solution.  Our living room is square and the doorway into it is about one foot from the wall. I could never figure out how to arrange furniture because the natural pathway is right along that wall so any furniture placed along there was always getting bumped into or moved. That is when we came up with idea to make a huge cupboard along that entire wall  built to the ceiling.  It would only take a foot of floor space and that wall was pretty useless anyway.  If it was made of nice paneling and painted, we could still hang artwork on the doors.  So Ran and Jamie built me the mother-of-all- mother cupboards this winter.
It can easily hold all my canning jars.  And because we live in a cold climate, we love that it makes the living room  even cozier.  Plus I don't have to worry about my poor joists because the downstairs one are actual tree trunks spaced about twelve inches apart notched into a sill that is made back in the days of virgin forests.  In other words, you could probably sit two elephants on the floor over there and the floor wouldn't sag a bit. As some of you might remember this was the wall that held all of Ran's guitars.  They have now been moved to where the old canning cupboard on the landing was.
We are forever moving things around to make this home work.  It was a cheap little house and it will probably never have any real value except to us, but of all the homes I've lived in, this is the one that has made me the happiest.  It really is an artistic expression of us; all  of the furniture is either made by Ran or things we picked up second hand and remade,  the artwork on the walls is our own or something that has a personal meaning to us, the things that make it a home are things that have memories. For instance, I think of my knitting as artwork, so up on the landing, I use an old orchard ladder to display some of my handknit shawls.
And I like to have skeins of yarn, old embroidery hoops, my little doll sized quilts hanging here and there.  Just so people know that a craftsperson and a musician live here.

CRAFTS

We've been basically shut in since November, almost all our neighbors and friends went south for the winter and is was so blustery we didn't travel much, so I had plenty of time to knit.  Over the past several months I've knitted, three shawls, two pairs of mittens, a hat, a Estonian style scarf, a Miss Marple scarf, a pillow, two pairs of socks, and the back and left side of a vest for Ran (this year's Christmas present) and various littles.  Here's a picture of the edging of one of the shawls:
I love the fern-like edge.  This was a quick knit and the pattern comes from Knitpicks, I believe the book was titled Under 100.  The project I'm currently working on is Spring Bloom Mitts and the free pattern can be found here.
One thing that I realized during all this shut-in time is that I need to be prepared with more sewing supplies.  When or if my local Ben Franklin reopens, I intend on laying-in a good supply of things such as sewing machine needles, snaps and fasteners, various sizes of elastic, etc.   Last week I had a bit of  a frustrating day when I wanted to sew something, broke my sewing machine needle, didn't have another one. And that was after I had to unwind a bobbin by hand because I didn't have a spare one.  So then I decided to  hand sew one of the snood-type headcoverings that I like, but couldn't find any elastic. A very long time ago I read a book about a women that had lived in either the Ukraine of Albania, I can't remember which, during WWII and afterward the Soviet occupation.  She said that the one thing she did was sew clothes for children because, hard times or not, children do outgrow their clothes.  And I had also heard many stories growing up about the Depression and how people had so few clothes, so I have been collecting nice pieces of fabric whenever I find them at garage sales and thrift stores, for "just in case".  But I never thought about zippers, snaps, bobbins, etc.  So I'll be on a mission, once the stores reopen!

IN THE KITCHEN

You hanging in there?  Ha!  We've been endeavoring to clean out our freezer in anticipation of the new gardening and fishing season.  We had a ham in there bought during the holidays at something like 68 cents a pound, and plenty of bacon because our oldest son raises his own hogs and gives us a cooler full of meat for Christmas.  We used to buy a holiday ham sausage from a Polish butcher at Easter time, but he had gone out of business long ago so we decided to make our own, all we had to buy was a inexpensive pork butt roast ($1.18/ lb.).  As the pork was the most expensive ingredient, this sausage cost us less than a dollar a pound.  And it is so good!  

Ham Sausage

4 lbs. pork
3 lbs. ham
1 lb. bacon
1 tbsp. sage
2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2  tsp. thyme
4 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. dry mustard

Combine all the seasoning in a small bowl.  Cut the meat in chunks that fit into your meat grinder.  Toss the seasoning with the meat.  Grind through the meat grinder.  Form into patties and thoroughly cook to temperature for pork.

I brown my sausage and can it, which make it easy for me to get breakfast on the table, but this sausage can be frozen either cooked or uncooked.  (The obvious things a person must write these days!)

If you haven't ever tried making your own sausages, you might want to give it a try.  It's almost always cheaper than those tubes of it you get at  the grocers.  And you control what is goes into it.  No pig snouts, no msg, no artificial colorings or flavors.  You can often find meat grinders at estate sales and thrift stores. It's a pretty fun thing to try out old  heirloom recipes of varieties that you can no longer buy.  So give it a try! Maybe you'll invent the next hot dog!

So that's about it from the old Zempel boarding house.  Hope you have a wonderful week.  Now get out there and be thrifty!

Hugs
Jane

29 comments:

  1. Lovely post! What an amazing store cupboard!
    You just reminded me I have my parents' old meat grinder. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Building that cupboard has made such a difference in how this house functions. I just love it. It's a lot of fun to make your own sausage, we've been trying to come up with one that matches our childhood memories. No luck yet! Have a love week!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. I think it is very wise of you to re-stock your sewing and crafting supplies as you can. I am not as adept at sewing or crafting as you (I love that edging on the shawl by the way) but I will still obtain some back up supplies as soon as possible. That cupboard of yours looks lovely and such wonderful storage it gives you.

    Here in Queensland some of our restrictions are going to be lifted from Friday night at midnight. We will from then be allowed to go for walks in National Parks, picnic outside (I think that is with members of one's household or an individual meeting up with one friend), go for drives (there is a distance limit) and shop for non-essential items. I am not sure what non-essential items are at this point though, I have been more interested in sourcing essential items that seem never to be on supermarket shelves. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherri! It's always good to have some needles and thread for mending, and extra buttons. Plus I really want to support our little craft store. I hope this shutdown hasn't fatally wounded them, they seemed to be operating on the slimmest of margin before this all started.

      The restrictions are so vague and arbitrary, it's hard to understand them or the reasoning. Yesterday we went for a ride just a few miles out of town; our county park was barricaded but the state park was open. Why? What is considered essential as opposed to non-essential? Sometimes it seems as those it is all up to the whims of the governor. Well, it makes for interesting times, at least! Enjoy your new freedoms! Ha!

      HUGS
      Jane

      Delete
  3. One question Jane on that beautiful handmade storage cabinet... is that room heated? Just had me wondering. I just wanted your advice on how warm a room can be and still be safe to keep our canned jars. It is so hot here and we only have the water cooler. The house never gets that cool and it is humid.

    Your house looks amazing. It keeps evolving as your family does. The house is a treasure to you and holds so many treasured family made things too. Never mind the thousands of memories I'll bet ! You said years ago that you could not get a very big mattress up those old tight stairs....Could you now get one of those newer styles that come rolled up and expand? LOL Oh I forgot you would still have to get a bigger bed frame up too. I don't know why I thought of that right now but I used to picture your house in my mind from how you described it and thought of the stairs since you mentioned the canning shelves being on it before.

    I always marveled at your energy and still do. :) Are you still doing Farmer's Markets? I wonder if they will open up this year. The way things are is still so strange to me. I still think off and on about doing this or that and have to remind myself that those places are not open either. I still keep hearing the Twilight Zone music in the background .... do you? Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, I'm so behind on answering your e-mail. Ran keeps thinking of things to keep me busy. Ha!

      Ideally, canned goods should be kept in a cool, dry dark spot. But few of us have that. Yes, this room is heated but is the coolest room in our house. I don't claim to be an expert, but I think if a human can tolerate the heat the canned goods should be okay. Now, that back room, when the woodstove is operating is intolerable.

      We've learned to appreciate the twin beds because Ran and I have completely different sleep patterns. :)

      No, I don't do the farmer's market, and I'm not sure if they will have it this year, it sure draws a huge crowd. I worry about people like our friends Shane and Amy who are independent small farmers that depend upon that market for their livelihood. There's a lot of little bits and pieces that people aren't considering with these shutdowns and restrictions. I really worry about a lot of people. Well, I could go on forever, I'll write soon!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. Good morning Jane,
    )+ow fun to see a new and long posts from you.
    The food storage wall is genius and so attractive looking too. I’ve been increasing our food storage and am wondeeeing if I have a wall that could be built in like yours.
    I’m glad you’re able to garden pretty much as always. But my offer still stands.
    Hope you have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Rhonda! Ran and Jamie customized the cupboard so the shelves are just the right size for quart and pint jars. It's amazing how many shelves you can fit in a 9 foot long X 7 foot high X 1 foot deep cupboard. So if you need storage and have some sturdy joists, I'd say go for it!

      Thank you again for the offer. Whenever I was getting discouraged this past week I thought of you and it really helped!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. Dear Jane,

    What a great surprise to find one of your good ole long, rambling posts! I love those kind of posts. Your knitting is beautiful, and I love the idea of the shawls hanging on display.

    I had a winter savoury plant that I thought died year before last...now, I haven't had it for 40 years, only 10, but I was heartbroken! Anyway, I trimmed it back, and after a few weeks, lo and behold, it had growth! It looks great this year, too. I need to re-do the raised beds where I have my herbs. They are falling apart and getting choked out with crab grass. I'm hoping this year will be the year they finally get done. (I've had it on my list for about 4 years, so they aren't getting any better, that's for sure!) By the way, if that's part of your outfit in the photo, it's amazing!

    I dream of being that far along in the gardening season. I had a couple of kale plants survive, plus quite a few parsley plants, so we are eating off of those, but it's much too wet and cold to plant anything else. Still haven't managed to find any onion sets, but have planted some seeds, even though I know they won't get to full size this season, as I am starting them so late. Better than nothing! I am glad to hear that gardening centres are finally open there!

    Your canning cupboard is beautiful. You guys have such a good "eye" for color...I've always loved decor that looks like it's from the colonial era, and that's how your house strikes me. Love it. My canning is stored down in our old stone basement (read: wet)...it's great for keeping root vegetables, as they don't really wither, but it's hard on canning. Have to keep an eye out for rust on the lids/rings and keep moving things along. But they are cool and dark down there, so that's great. My jam cupboard is upstairs, which isn't ideal, but we do go thru a lot of jam, and I like to look at it! :)

    Thanks for the link to the mitten pattern!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! I found that I use the shawls more if they are out and easy to reach for, so the ladder serves two purposes.

      Yeah, I need to redo my herb beds too. There's things in there that I'm not sure if they are weeds or herbs. Ha! Oh the outfit, I don't like to insert myself into pictures but the sage is pretty boring on its own this time of year. The apron was made from an old pillowcase that I bought from and estate sale for a dime and the lace comes from a boxful of lace I won at an auction ages ago. Somewhere on this blog, there's a post about it.

      The only "eye" we have for color is that we buy Olde Century paint. The colors are based on antique milk paint colors and the all "go" together. Ha! I love colonial style that's for sure. I love almost every style of decor, but this is the only style I can live with. As you well know, winters are long in the north and we need our little nests!

      Hopefully, you'll be able to find some onion sets. Still think there's a lot of nonsense about this whole going-ons. Can't really understand how not buying plants and seeds prevents a virus. Oh well! We will carry on and now we know to be better prepared for next year! I'll certainly be purchasing some onion seeds this winter for next year and potting soil too!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  6. Oh my Jane, your knitting is beautiful as always and if felt like old times to read this. I have made a few shawls but always seem to end up giving them to others because I'm not good at figuring out how to keep them on. The last time I tried I looked in the mirror and laughed. I had ended up with one twisted sideways with a shawl pin ready to poke me in the neck. Oh lord, I think I'll stick with scarf knitting.

    Your cabinet piqued my interest to discuss with my woodworking interested spouse. I enjoy all of my craft supplies but they need a better organized situation so I can more easily find what I need. I have hated the idea of investing much into something to hold them. Why have I never thought to ask my husband?

    In the current situation I have been really glad to have my sewing supplies, especially non woven interfacing when people close to me have asked for masks. (I especially found it so strange there really aren't that many people around who sew anymore, limiting who they can ask.) I also am fine in food with plenty of yeast and flour as well as cleaning and paper goods. However, my wishing of more supplies appear to be medical. I always paid a lot of attention to first aid but realized I did not own a thermometer and was somewhat lacking in cold and flu medications we use because they had been used up. After kicking myself for being an idiot I was thankfully able to take care of most of it.

    Here in Washington state the home improvement stores with their garden sections are all open for business but I've kind of been afraid to visit because they are extremely crowded with full parking lots. I have heard nurseries are open but it doesn't seem the one I frequent is open so that might not be true. I may have to just be happy with what I order from Territorial Seed in January every year. I unusually added some tomato seeds this year and am hoping for the best. They are a little leggy. I wasn't able to get my usual onion sets either so I will just go buy onions I can store next fall. There's one called "candy onions" here that store well and last just fine until April.

    We keep having rain here (which is actually not unusual) keeping some of the garden chores I want to do from getting done but it's nice the frozen time of year is past us and we can get the garden going.

    Thanks for your efforts with the post. I know it takes time. -Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! A couple ways that I've found to keep my shawl from roaming is to wear a brooch and stick it through my clothes as well as the shawl. Sometimes I cross them in the front and bring the ends around to the back sontag style and sometimes I bring the ends to the back under my arms and tie it sort of like a shrug. Hope that gives you some ideas so you can enjoy your shawls!

      Interfacing! That's another item for the list Thanks for reminding me! Oh yes, building your own cupboard is a lot cheaper than buying a cupboard. Unless you come across a good deal at an estate sale or garage sale.

      What is open and what is not is so confusing, I'm just staying home. I guess I don't need to go anywhere, but it would be nice having been cooped up since November. But then I always feel like this in APril! As soon as it warms up, we are so busy gardening that I don't have the desire to wander. It still down jacket weather. I'll be happy when we can move on to "light winter coat" weather. Ha! April is always a long month here. I probably should take advantage of it and do something constructive with the time, huh?

      Have a lovely week!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. Hello! New to your blog and it's just lovely. I am always interested in frugality, and common sense!
    Can you share about your boots in the picture. They look so durable!
    God bless
    Mrs.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs. O. I'm sorry I can't help you with the boots, I bought them about a decade ago at an estate sale (new in the box for something like $1!). I looked for a brand name but all it says is armortized neoprene oil resistant. That's good to know, I guess I'm all set if I need to take a job on an oil rig! Have a lovely week!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  8. I am being very thrifty with this sheltering at home deal. Very little shopping and that is for food, not much gas used as I only travel to town and back about once a week or twice if I have coffee with my bestie. Staying busy doing some tea towel embroidery, jigsaw puzzling, getting the garden ready and planted just some beet seed and dill. And I have started the mowing season. With both my hip needing replacement I only run the mower where really needed. In our back yard, which is full of slops and hard to mow I am planting low growing wild flowers. Just waiting for the seed and some good rain. I am so loving getting to look into your world again. Thank you. Nannie P.S. My hip replacement surgery was supposed to be done in April but is now postponed until Sept. although my hubby says I should try to get it done sooner. I have some rather painful times but I want to get through gardening and canning time before surgery. We'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Nannie! That's a good idea about planting wildflowers on the slopes. Prettier than lawn too, I think. I've been doing an anti-inflammatory diet for my arthritis, I wonder if it would help ease your hip pain a bit? No wheat (I know, you told me that years ago), no sugar, legumes, dairy and foods from the nightshade family. Doesn't leave much but some vegetables and protein (boring) but I notice when I am very strict with it, the results are almost immediate. When I slack off, I know about it almost immediately too. Wish I could come done and help you with your canning! Hopefully warmer weather will make your hips less painful. Don't overdo it!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your cupboard! They did an awesome job. Wow, that is a lot of canning. I have never made sausage before, so thanks for the recipe. Your knitting is beautiful too. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! It's amazing who all that canning adds up. It starts in May with the asparagus and rhubarb and doesn't end until November with the pumpkins. Batches of eight jars at a time. During the summer there are weeks I can more than 25 jars a day. It's really not that hard to amass quite a pantry full. ANd we use it, often there's five or more jars of food used in one meal.

      Sausage making is fun and takes little work, unless you're smoking your meat, which we don't. We've tried old Norwegian potato sausages and some old German recipes. Things you can't find in the stores. It's a little way to have an adventure without leaving home. Ha!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  11. Just found you, my kind of blog, looking forward to going back over the ‘old’ posts...keep blogging. Please ...Regards Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well welcome, Teresa! That will keep you busy. Ha! As you can see I'm very long-winded.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  12. New to your blog, was wondering about you and came across this,me and my husband have being frugal since the day we met and married, raised two children on one income, bought a house from the landlord we rented from, sold it 10 years later for double, moved to a cheaper town and bought 3 houses from the profit. I retired when we moved at 56 and we live off the rents we collect. I don't know how to live any other way but frugally so when this pandemic hit it didn't affect us at all, we are home bodies and never eat out, I have a fully stocked pantry and a healthy bank balance. No debt, no car, no mortgage no worries, will have to read all your blogs in self isolation, ps I heard about you from Coffee with Kate etc, I've being watching Kate and Bali gardening in their new house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, welcome to my blog, Kate! That was a well-laid out plan you and your husband had. I always love to read about self-sufficient people. This pandemic hasn't affected us either, but I sure do worry about how others are doing. We were just discussing how this is affecting a town that we used to live in that depended on tourism. Nearly everyone that lived there was employed in the hospitality business. Sure hope they will be able to recover. Thanks for stopping by!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  13. So nice to read! I read it on my little phone when we were away. (Missed having a computer for a larger screen). Good idea to start out small....with gardening. I do that with my flower gardens...baby steps I say...because hoeing and weeding is a lot of work. Sage...I love the looks of the plant...I should plant some, especially if your winters can allow it to come back. Your dress and boots are so pretty. My mom had a dress made out of their curtains during the depression and that was her only dress. I've read about some people sharing dresses even and taking turns to go to church back then even....and here we don't dress up much for church in our society even...tsk. We raised our kids in a small home and when I paid the heating bill or when it rained and we stayed dry, I always appreciated a small house. Hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad for you, Andrea, hopefully the warmer weather will follow you. Sage is one of my favorite plants, it stays green almost the entire year and the purple flowers are so pretty. And you can eat it!

      I've read a lot of stories about the depression and the people were really ingenious when it came to clothing themselves. People are so spoiled now with their closets bulging with clothes yet they take less pride in their appearance. I was thinking the other day that women took time to set and style their hair, yet they didn't have the spare time we have now. (Remember all the ironing?)

      Every time I get my heating bill, I'm glad I have a little house! Congratulations on that new grandbaby, again! I remember when you were wondering when it would happen.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Hi! The baby actually broke water 2 days before the caesarean was scheduled. So I think that might have spurred us on to make a rash decision to travel. hugs, andrea

      Delete
  14. Hi Jane! I finally got the computer from Mister tonight; I've been reading your blog from my phone and it won't let me post anything...

    I am so happy you are back blogging! I like the peek into your day! We are staying busy working on that attic still... yesterday I picked my first asparagus! Yum!

    Talk soon! as ever.. m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you, rub it in! Our asparagus started coming up but then it froze and it turned to mush. You know, you could have had quite a meal of morels with that asparagus. Next year!

      HUgs
      Jane

      Delete
  15. dear jane, i am so happy that you blog again.
    your shawl is wonderful and the mittens are beautiful.your skirt is wonderful.
    the cupbord is a dream,your husband and your son are very talented.last week i planted 40 meter potatoes.kohlrabi,bruessel sprouts,and many salads waiting for plant outside. i hope all is well,hugs regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Regina! I hope all is well with you! We're starting to get the cold crops in too. And the rabbits are eating our lettuce as quickly as we can plant it. We experimented with starting more things in the cold frame this year so we have lettuce big enough to pick. Sure is nice to have fresh veggies from the garden again! Hope you will have a nice spring day!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete