Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2022

Looking Forward and Glancing Past

 Hello dear friends!  Happy New Year!  I hope that all of you that had that horrible weather the past week are thawing out.  It was cold and windy here, but hey, that's winter.  For those of you that found the weather unusual, I hope that you can use this little episode as a lesson in preparedness. Was there anything you need to buy or do to survive cold weather?  Do you need to find a way to cope with anxiety or disappointment?  I read this funny saying the other day:

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except bears.  Bears will kill you.

We celebrated a lovely Christmas here.  It started when I was struggling to put some green and red chair pads on the dining room chairs.  Then the thought popped into my mind.  Does anyone even care if I don't switch out the chair pads for Christmas?  So, into the donation box, they went. Then I got out my Christmas garland.  I always struggle to hang it, so much climbing up and down ladders and searching in the attic for the decorations, so right then and there, I decided that I would never again hang another strand of garland, into the donation box it went.  Soon I was down to just some greenery tucked in here and there and a few samplers and family keepsakes.  Just enough to look festive, but not enough to be a chore.  Then it came time to bake the Christmas cookies.  I always bake too many and heavens knows we do not need to have so many sweets about the place.  So, this year I baked just three varieties that are everyone's favorites and as soon as they were cool, packaged them up and sent them off to the children, grandchildren   and neighbors.  We only kept a small tin for ourselves.  Ran and I had decided earlier that we wouldn't buy each other Christmas gifts, there's just nothing that we really want that would warrant spending money upon and just to spend money for the sake of spending money is foreign to us. So, I had very little gift wrapping to do. In other words, I ridded myself of all the things that I find tiresome about Christmas (as I am the one that does most of these things) and only kept what we love.  

I spent one lovely Sunday listening to Handel's Messiah from start to finish.  Usually, I just skip to a few choruses.  While I listened, I worked on my woolwork project, which was one of my goals to finish before the end of the year.

It's from one of those Maggie Bonanomi books.  I have so many craft books, I'm trying to work all the projects from each book that I want to do, so I can then donate the books to the thrift store.  If you ever wonder what my home looks like, this pretty much sums it up, a combination of primitives and folk art.  Anway, whilst the pillow says "simplify" it was far from a simple project, as after I had worked all the buttonhole stitches around each of those "tongues", I thought they were too floppy, so I then had to sew backing onto each and every one.  Ended up being a very heavy mat, but I'm glad I made it, and even happier to have finished it.  It's a pretty good size and fits perfectly across the back of our antique buggy bench.  

Anway, back to the Messiah and Christmas.  I grew up in the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church and they sing many parts of it in the Advent liturgy, so it was like revisiting an old friend. The church has modernized, but oh, the music was so beautiful back when I was a child.  I found this version on YouTube. You can use the closed caption and read the verses, and it even gives the corresponding Biblical text.  What a brilliant, inspired work!  If you are curious about Christianity, it's a wonderful place to start as it sums it up, beginning with the prophets of the Old Testament through Christ's walk on earth, His death and resurrection, through His second coming.  

We spent a lot of time reminiscing about loved ones that have passed, listening to old fashioned Christmas hymns and carols, none of the obnoxious Blue Christmas, Run Run Rudolph, or Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer. And watching the classic Christmas movies, ending up with It's a Wonderful Life, which is our Christmas Eve tradition.

Christmas day, we read from the Gospel of St. Luke instead of what was scheduled on our Bible rotation (We, as a family, are reading through the Bible together each day.  It's very casual, we read until we get tongue-tied, and stop and discuss things and then go off and ponder them.). I can't remember what our meal was, just your ordinary meal.  Since we didn't have any sweets in the house, I made a bread pudding from stale panettone and some eggnog that had been purchased on sale at Aldis earlier in the month.  I baked it on the woodstove.  That afternoon Jamie and I worked a winter-themed jigsaw puzzle that he had given me for Christmas, and we called and chatted with kids and grandkids.  In other words, it was the perfect Christmas!

To paraphrase Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"Happiness consists in a little fire, a little food and an immense quiet."

Today is not only the last day of the year, but also my birthday.  To celebrate Ran baked me a cake.  He used my plain white cake recipe and add chopped maraschino cherries and nuts to the batter.  It has become a tradition.  So, it is a good time for me to reflect on the past year and plan for the future.  I spent an enjoyable afternoon, going through all my crafting supplies and planning projects.  I set one goal to tackle all my mending and sewing projects in January. But for the most part, I just plan to keep putting one foot in front of the other.  

Today also marks the forty-ninth anniversary of the day the doctors moved me from the intensive care unit to the room set aside for people that have no hope.  The minister was called, and I was given my final communion.  The family was gathered to say their final good-byes.  I know that many of you have a lot of anxiety about what the future holds.  Indeed, each day the news becomes more fearful and hopeless.  But dear friends, do not become hopeless!  As long as there is a breath inside you, there is hope.  Just as those doctors were wrong, no one is ever without hope.  Just take each day as it comes, and if you can't do that, take each hour as it comes.  I learned a lot of lessons about fidelity, love, and perseverance from that day forty-nine years ago.  At that time, I thought that it was a cruel joke of a fifteenth birthday present. But what I learned most is that there is always hope!  Have blessed New Year, dear friends!

Hugs

Jane


 

25 comments:

  1. I also greatly simplified Christmas decorating this year, and added some things to the donation box. Thank you for the beautiful message of hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like Goodwill will be reaping the benefits as we embrace our simpler lives, Laurie! I truly believe this is the way to go. Have a wonderful New Year!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. So glad the Lord spared your life 49 years ago. I love your blog, your life. You had a wonderful Christmas. Ours is simple but we have 12 people near that we celebrate with at our house. We had 2 different soups and everyone brought sides. It is fun and loud and bonding. For our New Years Eve celebration my hubby and I will go out for a nice dinner in town at a restaurant a good friend of our son's owns. We rarely go out to eat so this is a treat for us. And I will have a glass of wine. Pretty sure I'll be sleeping a couple hours before midnight :) Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I will be fast asleep before midnight too, Nannie. And it won't be the effect of any celebratory drinks. Ha! Sounds like you had a perfect Christmas and will have a lovely night out. My big plans are to locate some yarn in my stash for some mittens I plan on knitting. I think one of my goals for this year will be to try to knit at least one pair of mittens each month for the mitten tree that the library sponsors. Big excitement Ha! Enjoy your night out and keep safe!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday dear Jane!
    I love that quote! My son runs on the Blue Ridge parkway trails and encounters lots of bears! There were two when we were there for the 7 year-old's birthday in their backyard in the city of Asheville! They scare me!
    Your Christmas sounds lovely and much like ours. I have been decluttering lately like a fiend. I told my husband I hope it is not the opposite of nesting!
    Wishing you the loveliest of new year's dear soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Angela! I laughed out loud when I read that quote. When we were teens, one of our entertainments was to go to the dump and watch the black bears. They are big animals! What passed for entertainment before the days of cable TV and internet. Ha!

      Isn't it funny that you spend the first half part of your lie gathering up things and second part giving them away? Every time I think I've downsized enough; I find more things to get rid of. You'd think eventually, you'd end up with nothing, but nope. Best of joy in the coming new year!

      Hugs

      Delete
  4. Dear Jane: Happy Birthday!!! I'm happy God kept you on earth a lot longer! The age of 15 is such a young age to be near death!

    I agree on your decorating and Christmas baking and eating normal meals. I don't buy any expensive meats, etc. anymore. I only wish I discovered this 40 years ago. When we were first married, my husband and I exchanged gifts maybe twice. We do not have the same tastes and it just never seemed a good idea for us. It seemed wasteful. I guess it works for some, but not for us.

    Your "simplify" mat looks perfect! You do perfect work. As far as the true meaning of Christmas, wouldn't it be wonderful if more people would give honor to God. We're all created by Him whether we know it or not. I have "It's a Wonderful Life" and I had told my husband that I think that's one of the best movies....shows faith and family life.

    Enjoy your cake and Have a Happy New Year! hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend! Well, with Ran and I, if it is truly something we want, we just buy it, if it is within reason of course, so when Christmas rolls around there's nothing really to buy. Ran usually wants fishing gear or things for his guitar, which I have no knowledge of, anyhow. And I usually want some sort of crafting item.
      I believe many people love the creations more than the Creator. But there are still a lot of people out there of good faith. Another reason to be hopeful!

      The ending to It's a Wonderful Life gets me every time. I know the movie by heart, but I still shed a tear or two at the ending. As Old Man Potter would say "a lot of sentimental hogwash! I love it! Have a lovely New Year!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you ~Happy New Year AND Happy Birthday. Your post meant something very personal to me, thank you.🙏☃️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, God bless and keep you dear Rose, today and through the New Year!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. Hello Jane, New Year Greetings to you all. Decluttering, well I didn't have a single decoration this Christmas, toyed with the idea of a fancy wreath for the front door, then saw the prices and left them all in the shops.We didn't have a large cake, but I have a recipe for mini ones that are baked in muffin cases. This went well, and I gave a container of 12 to our Doctor's surgery, along with apricot slice, and for the front staff, a bunch of white lilies and greenery and for our own doctor, Calla lilies and greenery.Last week I gave a friend a pile of quilted blocks, some are stitched round the appliqued parts, others need to be done, but with two little grandies, she will have fun using them.And today, there are still some large lemons left, Hugh has asked for a lemon meringue pie.Guess that will do to celebrate 2023 down here.And Happy Birthday, so thankful all those years ago the prediction was so totally wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm? Eat lemon meringue pie, Jean? ha! Yeah, I toyed with the idea of putting up a Christmas wreath too, but the prices were crazy here also. Plus, I always hate standing out in the wind trying to get it to hang right. Got to admit though, the front door does look a little sad without a wreath. Well, there's always next year. I bet your friend will enjoy making quilts for the little ones, you do such an amazing job with your quilting. I always get confused by the time zones, so I don't know if your new year rings before or after ours, but whatever the case, I wish you a very happy and more importantly, healthy new year!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  8. Testing to see if this comment goes through. I’m still not able to link through blogger. This was a lovely post. I gave almost no gifts this year and only wrapped the small one we mailed to our granddaughter in Indiana. No one who would be on my immediate family gift list needs anything anyway.
    That’s a remarkable 49th anniversary. And I’m so glad your still here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like everyone was into downsizing their Christmases this year, Rhonda. Thank you for persevering with trying to get a comment through! I do not understand the mechanicals of blogger, I just post and hope for the best. Ha! Hope you have a lovely New Year. It's probably going to be hard to get used to the quiet after the family moves out!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, Brooke! Have a wonderful New Year!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  10. A number of things made our Christmas day quieter than usual--several of our extended family needed to be elsewhere. We had a lovely dinner at the home of our son and his wife, a few miles away. I've not decorated for Christmas in many years. Christmas trees are a magnet for our cats who quickly dismantle them.
    Christmas for me has always meant being part of music at church. My singing voice is no longer what it was, but I can still take my turn at playing piano for a church service. We also seem to be at that time of life when we don't need to accumulate more. Our family delights in giving gifts during the year just because we find something that seems right for the recipient. Our children and grandchildren are now financially independent and there isn't the necessity for the practical winter clothing and such that I used to make or buy as gifts for them. We do all enjoy sharing good food.
    January has always felt like a time to 'hibernate' and work on quilts or genealogy projects and I think this year will be the same.
    Our son, daughter-in-law, my husband, our daughter and her husband, all have birthdays in December or January, so we make a bit of a fuss over them rather than a big Christmas blow-out. The unusual freezing weather and snow this holiday changed a few plans, but I never mind being at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cats have never gotten into our trees. Strange. They sure do love trees out of doors. Like you, Sharon, when we find something that we think someone will appreciate, we like to give it to them, then and there throughout the year.
      I'm looking forward to hibernation time. So many projects I'd like to do! Never understood the concept of boredom, have you? Well, I guess the new year has arrived, may it be a good one for you!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday, Jane! We had a simple Christmas here too, though ours was thrust upon us as we all had strep throat and colds and weren't in the mood to do anything! But, you know what, we decided that we like it that way. I did no baking, very minimal decorating. We didn't rush around to visit with family or friends, just stayed home and watched movies. Our dinner was some soup we had in the freezer. We will be doing the same next year (minus the strep please), but maybe do a little bit of baking too. Here's to a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that you were ill, but it sounds like you made the best of it. I don't understand why we have to make the holidays so complicated, do you? At the end of the day the true happiness comes from being with the ones we love. Happy New Year to you too!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  12. Dear Jane,

    Happy Belated Birthday! Your close call with death all those years ago has certainly given you a perspective on life that most of us just don't have...and is, in fact, a gift. What a wonderful life you've lived! (And yes, that is one of my favorite movies, too. Just love Clarence.) Your pillow is beautiful...you are a wonderful seamstress and your home is a REAL home, stamped with your family's personality...no doubt you love to be there!

    A lovely, hopeful message for the new year!!!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jen! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! We know that movie by heart. We always laugh when Clarence tells George that Mary became a librarian. Oh, such a terrible fate! Ha! Blessings for the new year!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  13. Of course I remember you, Shirley! I hope you are doing well. So good to hear from you again!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's wonderful, Shirley! That's one of the reasons I restarted this blog. Needed reassurance that there were still some common sensible, good people out there somewhere in the world. I missed all the regular kindred spirits that I met here and found a few new ones too.

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete