Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2020

Garden Update

Hello dear friends!  I hope  this post finds you well.  As we come to the end of July, I like to sit and back and take stock of how my garden is fairing.  I won't write that it's a strange year weatherwise, looking back, I've noticed that I write that every year. Ha!  But we did have any unusually cold start to Spring and it seems quite a long period of drought and heat.  But as with life, you have to take the bad with the good.

It was not a good year for some of our early Spring crops, such as broccoli and cauliflower.  The plants got big  but they never really formed a nice large head.  We got enough little offshoots of the broccoli for a few meals and a couple containers for the freezer, but not as much as we were hoping for.  The cauliflower was a complete lost. And we only got a few meals of asparagus, it was looking kind of sad, so we picked sparingly  to let the plants strengthen.. We are going to plant more slips this Fall and really give the plot a good dose of compost.    However, we probably got more peas then we ever have  before.  But I think we can chalk that up to not having little grandsons around to pick and eat them fresh from the garden. I'd rather have had the grandsons than the peas.  Maybe next year.  Our cabbage was beautiful.  Looked just like a Beatrix Potter illustration and we have more for making sauerkraut in the Fall.

We've been gathering raspberries these past few weeks. Again, with the heat and drought they are not in their usual abundance, but since they have such a long harvest time, I'm confident that we'll have enough to makes up several quarts of juice.  I've already made jelly.  We just pick them and freeze them until we have enough.  The blackberries, on the other hand, are going like gangbusters. I cannot understand why one berry does well and the other doesn't, just one of those garden "unexplainables".  Cherries were phenomenal!  Even the birds couldn't keep up with them.  Rarely do they leave us enough to do something with, but this year I was able to can eight jars of cherry preserves.  We will treasure them come Winter.  And I'm so excited that my beloved Rhode Island Greening apple tree is finally going to produce enough apples to make a pie!   I've been coaxing and pampering it for almost a decade and it's finally come through.  And the Wolf River is loaded.  All the neighbors will be receiving a bushel this year.

We are just beginning to pick our green beans.  The deer and rabbit ate them down to the nubs several times, so we are grateful for any we get.  Fortunately we had some many last year that I still have plenty of jars in the pantry.  Always can extra, you never know when you're going to have a bad year. We've  had our first tomato.  Over the years we've been selecting the fastest ripening and prettiest tomato to save the seeds from.  I think mid-July is the earliest yet.  Thanks to Ran's persistent and consistent water none have blossom end rot.  That is good news, I have lots of plans for those tomatoes.  Happy day, when we can make a tomato sandwich. And the peppers are loving this weather.  It seems peppers always do well.

On one of the cooler days, Ran and Jamie dug the first row of our red potatoes.  The vines are drying up and dying back because it is so dry, but it looks like we  will have plenty, around forty pounds from one row and we have several rows to dig.  We had high hope for the  keeper onions, they started out so well, still got a nice crop, but they weren't as large as they initially looked.  But still nothing to complain about.  We've yet to dig the sweet onions, but so far they look picture perfect.

Our back plot is dedicated to pumpkins, zucchinis, cucumbers and all things viney.  Look for many pumpkin recipes this Fall. Ha!  There's also a lovely vine growing in the compost bin and another by some elderberry bushes I planted.  I've had enough of cucumbers, thank you.  I feel that I've canned enough pickles and relish to supply the county.  I told Ran he can let the vine grow to give some to Anna, our neighbor, but as far as I'm concerned I'll be glad to not set my eye on another one for a while.  And zucchinis, well, they are doing what zucchinis do.  If you feel you have a brown thumb, just plant yourself a zucchini.  A neighbor up the street sets out a table with free vegetables by her driveway, and no one is even interested in take them anymore.

Well, I hope that my garden update will be an encouragement to you novice gardeners.  Even with almost one-hundred years of gardening experience between the two of us (boy does that ever make me feel old), we still have failures.  You just have to keep plugging away at it because that day you taste the first tomato from the garden or have a meal of the fresh potatoes and dill from the garden, makes all that lugging hoses and being bent over a hoe, so worth it. So, how does your garden grow?



9 comments:

  1. It seems to me that you have had lots of successes! Is there ever a garden without some failures? Last summer was good for brassicas and root crops but terrible for tomatoes. Just about to sow tomato seeds for our summer hopefully they will do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun to see us doing the opposite, Sharon. Here we are picking the first tomatoes. Hope you have much success with yours, there's so many good things to be made with them. It was so strange with those cauliflowers though. I wonder if the problem was with the plants or weather? Oh well! The best thing about gardens, is there's always next year. Speedy recovery!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your garden update! Tomatoes are picking about watering...good for Ran! It was very weird weather this year! hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I say that every year, Andrea. We picked the tomatillos and I canned salsa today. The canning season has begun in earnest.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Hi Jane,

    Thanks for the garden update...Boy, have you been busy! It's funny how one year one crop is great, and another not so good, and then the next year it can be a completely different story! We are having extremely hot and humid weather right now. Perfect conditions for tomato blight, so I am keeping my fingers crossed! One of my sad stories is that the last couple of years I have had something getting into my onions and sometimes my garlic...I don't know if it comes down through the tops into the root or vice versa, but it is killing all of my onions. (And they are planted in different spots in the garden.) I'll have to figure out what to do about it for next year, as it makes them rot right in the ground. Right now the peas and beans and raspberries are just coming on; red currants are just about done. Black currants, too, and I have my dehydrator going on some of those. But my main priority today is to get out there and get some water on some of those plants, as it doesn't seem like it's going to be raining any time soon!!

    Always love to see one of your updates!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! That's too bad about the onions. When I have a chance, I'll see if I can find anything about it in my big gardening library. We always give ours a liberal dose of wood ash and this year we experimented with cutting the tops off about 2/3rds the way down. We dried the tops and made it into onion powder.

      Just got back from our Mennonite store. They had aged white cheddar cheese for $1.49/lb! You had to buy ten pounds to get the price. Soo I made myself another job and have to can the peas I froze to make room for the cheese. They didn't have any pectin though. That's one strange thing I'm finding is in short supply.

      We're dehydrating zucchinis at the moment. They make a healthy snack and I'm curious how the will rehydrate. And we picked the last of the raspberries and made juice. Poor babies dried on the bush. Looks like it's going to rain here. so hopefully it will head your way. Nothing like a good rain for the garden! Don't work too hard!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Hi Jen! I wanted to get back to you. I consulted with my favorite gardening expert John Seymour. Ha! Who knew there were so many pests and diseases for onions? If it's some sort of fungus, you should know by the looks of the leaves, they'll turn brown or mildewy looking. I would start with a good dose of wood ash. He suggests "bordeax powder" but that sounds like quite a chemistry project. Maybe dust them with a good commercial organic fungicide. Hope that helps!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane,

    Thanks so much for looking up about the onions! I love John Seymour's books. It's definitely a worm...you can see the hole they make as they bore into the tops and where they get into the actual onion bulb. I THINK (not sure) it's some sort of fly that lays eggs on the tops and they then hatch and burrow down the onions. OR, they're some sort of root maggot that gets in from the soil and then burrow up and out of the tops. Either way, they wreck the onions!!! When do you apply your wood ash? As you plant? After they're planted? To the soil before you work up the bed? We do put some wood ash in the garden...but we just sprinkle it on over the winter as we empty the ash bucket, and some parts get it, some parts don't. :)

    That is an amazing price for cheese, let alone aged white cheddar!!! The cheapest I've seen it here is $4/lb. (That's a sale. :()

    I think dehydrating zucchinis is a great idea. This is the best way to condense down all those big ones! I've done that lots of times, and we prefer rehydrated zucchini in soups, etc., as it doesn't get all mushy, like fresh zucchini can if you happen to cook it just a little too long. And it seems so summery and indulgent to have zucchini in soup in January! :)

    That is interesting about pectin. I've seen plenty here, but I can't seem to find freezer bags, especially the twist tie top ones, which I have better luck with than the zippered ones. I know you can make "pectin" with apples, but they never seem to be ready when you have other fruit that needs to be made into jam! Long-cooked, old-fashioned jams are good, but with some fruits I like to use pectin, instead, for a "fresher" (rather than "candied") taste...like strawberries. Just a taste preference for me. I hope you can find some, soon. I sure wish we had a Mennonite store, here!

    I came in because we FINALLY had a thunderstorm and brief spattering of rain, but I think it's blown over. Better get at the peas and beans. You're right...it's definitely the busy season!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like onion flies, Jen. We give our onions a dose of ashes when we plant them. Let's hope! Or else it's an eelworm, and Mr. Seymour suggest to not plant onions or allow chickweed to grow in the garden for six years! Yikes! That would be quite a battle. Maybe next year you can experiment with growing onions in some sort of tub with new garden soil?

    I wonder if you could make pectin from apples in the fall and dehydrate it. Maybe I'll experiment this fall.

    Oh yes, amazing price for cheese. Butter has been cheap too. For that matter we can buy milk for under $2/gal at Aldis and Sav-a-Lot. I even canned milk when it got down to 99cents a gallon.

    Hurray for your rain. We're still waiting. Yesterday the skies were gray as charcoal, but still no rain. On the bright side, we don't have to mow the lawn.

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete