Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2020

It's Not What you Don't Have

It's not what you don't have, it's what you do with what you do have.
~Kitty Bartholomew~

Hello dear friends!  Today I thought I'd take you on a little tour of  the outside of my home.  About fifteen years ago my husband bought Sweetbriar cottage for me.   At the time I was really suffering badly from asthma and he had noticed how my health always improved when I was visiting family by the lake in Michigan. At the turn of the century wealthy families from Chicago kept homes along the western side of the Michigan shoreline for this very reason.  We were on a very tight budget, not being a wealthy family from Chicago 😄.  The grand  total for the 15 year mortgage, including property taxes and home-owner's insurance was $432 a month, which was less than the many car loans back then.  (We applied any "found" money to the mortgage and paid it off in five years) As you can imagine, we had to make a lot of compromises to our "dream" at that price.  This house was ugly.  Here's a picture to prove it:
Not exactly anyone's dream house is it?  But there was something about this little house that spoke to me.  I call it the "magical" light.  The way the sunlight hits the walls and makes it glow throughout the day.  It also helped that this little hovel was located within a cute little village and only a few blocks from lake Huron.  

The very first thing we did was replace the front door with Dutch door that I had purchased at an estate sale years ago for $45 and had been dragging around from with us from house to house, waiting for the perfect spot for it.  The next thing we did was replace the ugly drafty windows.  Windows are so important to the looks of a house.  We bought replacement windows one or two at a time as we could afford them (we had children in college at the time). As soon as Spring arrived I started planting roses.  As a child I always dreamed of living in a rose covered cottage.

These roses were grown from a slip that I took from an overgrown hedge located at the edge of the property. Ran made the trellises.   I also planted lots of delphiniums and hollyhocks  that we started from seeds.  I think that tall flowers give a place a sense of whimsy.
When we first looked at this house, it was in the middle of the Winter and we were not dressed properly to go out and explore the yard.  I asked the realtor how  big was the backyard and she gestured that it ended somewhere around "that tree".  Which I understood to mean a  honeysuckle bush that was about 60 feet out.  Imagine my delight when I later discovered that the backyard was actually 300 feet deep.  The size of an average football field!  However, it was completely devoid of any trees, bushes or plants of any kind except for the honeysuckle bush (I still haven't figured out what tree she was talking about).  It barely had grass!   One side of the yard faced the back of a lumberyard. So we planted pine trees along the entire perimeter of the back yard.  They were barely more than twigs when we planted them a decade ago, but now they are well  over twelve feet tall and give us all the privacy we could want.  I say "we" planted but it was I that planted all 100 of them, as the weather was so terrible when they arrived via the mail ($1 a tree) that Ran was unable to commute here to help, so I planted them in the middle of major rainstorm.  I thought I'd never dry out after that day, but it sure made digging the holes easy.  And it must have been good planting weather because they all survived!   
In true Jane fashion, there's a story to the picket fence that is a major feature of our backyard.  We always wanted that proverbial "white picket fence" but couldn't find any real wooden pickets.  I hate  plastic fencing.  One day we stopped in a garage sale and a man had a huge stack of them.  I thought I'd buy only one bundle and make some little accents, but the price kept coming down for the more I'd buy, so I ended up getting enough for this fence and maybe  for another someday for $25!  The green color came about because it was on the sale bin at the local hardware store.  I can't imagine it being white now, the green has become sort of a signature.  

Another signature of our backyard is my beehive. We waited all day at an auction for the item we wanted to come up and when it finally did, there were few bidders so the auctioneer threw a bunch of things in a pile and the bee boxes were included in the item we wanted (a Hitchcock chair) so I got the chair and the boxes and several other things for $1.  Well, we couldn't just throw them out could we? So Ran built a little roof for them and we now  have a beehive. 

The main focus of our backyard is food production.  And everyone that has read this blog knows we have a huge vegetable garden.  It's important to us that it looks neat and orderly like Farmer MacGregor's garden in  Peter Rabbit.  

Beyond the little shed that Ran and Jamie built, we have fruit trees planted.  This year we decided that instead having grass back there , we'd start filling it in with ferns and whatever planting we can get for free or on really reduced prices at the end of the gardening year to make a sort of woodland back there.  Under the apple trees it is so pleasant during the hottest days of summer, we will make some sort of sitting area.  There's always projects.  

After the boys had finished college, we finally could afford to reside the house in the gray shakes it has now. I had to fight the contractor every step of the way because what I envisioned wasn't done, you know? Boy! He thought I was crazy when I wanted to rip off that ugly little covered porch on the front of the house.  But now, when the the roses are in bloom and little Sweetbriar is looking all cute and fairytale-esque, strangers stop and take pictures of our house.  Can't tell you how many times I've had to duck out of the way of a photographer. And people that are remodeling stop by to consult me.  This little house has launched at least a dozen other little gray shake cottages.  Kind of amazing seeing where this house had started out.

We had planned to put a deck on the south side of our house, but when we had a contractor come out he discovered that all that was holding up our enclosed porch was lathing strips!  Yikes.  So we pulled off the entire thing and had an open porch there for several years, but when Ran retired we discovered we needed more room, so we had the porched enclosed again.  It was a wonderful opportunity to use some diamond-paned leaded windows installed  that I had been dragging around from house to house for years.  One of my most favorite things about this house  is this bow-front window on the porch.
The way it distorts the light and the way the roses grow around it is pure fantasy.  It makes me happy every time I look at it.  Unfortunately, our porch is usually full of junk.  But some day!

So that it's the story of how a a lot of inspiration, very little money and a lot of elbow grease can make a dream come true.    

40 comments:

  1. It is so lovely! A love roses and hollyhocks, too. They are in my garden, however the hollyhocks are new so will bloom next year. I also love foxglove.... your cottage is ideal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi! You'll find that hollyhocks like to flit about. At one time they were all pretty pink ones in the front, but now the whitish ones have moved to the front yard and the pink ones to the back! I always scratch up the soil and let them reseed themselves. I love foxglove too, but it is so temperamental. There's some pale yellow perennial ones in the side garden but they don't offer the wow factor the pretty biennial ones do. Wouldn't it be something if we could get everything to bloom at the same time? ANd last for the entire season. Now that is a dream!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Yes, blooming at the same time - I hear you! I am amazed at all the different beautiful blooms, but they are all so spread out .... the beauty of a cottage garden astounds me. I just love it!

      Delete
    3. Me too Gigi! I have so many books of the subject. If only I could get large swatches of foxgloves and bellflowers to grow! We can always dream, can't we?

      Delete
  2. Dear Jane,

    Thank you for the tour! I am amazed at the size of your lot...so wonderful for all the use it gets! I love hearing about all the interesting bargains you've gotten for all the unique items you have in/on/around your house. You definitely have an eye for "envisioning" what things will look like. Your fence is beautiful and so are all of your flowers. I have tried for years to get holly hocks to grow from seed, to no avail...until this year! I think I have a couple coming up, so fingers crossed they will bloom next year!

    We had a bit of a much needed soak, here, so I will definitely be weeding tomorrow. Why do the weeds grow so much faster than all of the garden plants? Hoping to make clover "honey" this week, as the wild roses are just coming on.

    Can't wait to see the inside tour!!!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send some of that rain our way please, Jen! I was just out surveying the garden and the potatoes are all wilting. Just can't water enough. We have an awful time with binderweed here. I finally just gave up trying to pull it off the fences. It looks like morning glories anyway and people have asked me what the pretty little white flowers were. Ha! Hollyhocks are a contrary plant. I used to have bunches of them out by the shed, but now that's been taken over by phlox. My philosophy on gardening is that if a plant is content where it reseeds itself, then who am I to argue? That's why I have lots of asters and Queen Anne's lace blooming at the moment. But that's ok, I think they are beautiful even if they are lowly weeds to some. Happy weeding!

      HUgs
      Jane

      Delete
  3. Simply beautiful! Thank you for this tour. Such a beautiful house and yard and flowers and garden and beehive! You looked at the house and saw great potential. What a nice surprise to find out you had such a huge yard. I always go by the "feel" of a home and the yard is important to me too. Never leave your house!! hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! Ran says I have a problem of looking at any house (even actual pig sties) and saying I can make something of them. I love re-doing houses, that's why I'm a tad but envious of your move (but not the packing part. Ha!). If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I'd have so many flower beds, they are a lot of work, bit it's what I have so I'll just carry on. Are you getting excited about designing a new garden?

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. I was thinking of starting a garden around the inside perimeter of the fenced yard (just part of the yard is fenced). Just baby steps. It will be a luxury to not have deer eat everything!! hugs, andrea

      Delete
    3. That would be nice! The other day we caught a deer in our garden so we started yelling at it and it came toward us wagging its tail instead of running away! Guess she thought we were growing all those veggies and flower buds for her and wanted to be friends.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  4. You’re home is just charming and I love learning how it came to be.
    I knew y’all gardened a lot but I never imagined your yard was so big, that’s wonderful.
    Some people here use that white plastic fence for pastures, especially horse pastures. We shocked to see some land fenced with it, after a grass fire. That plastic fence just melted to almost nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda! You can't buy wooden pickets around here. I guess no one wants to be bothered with painting them. I guess it melting away to almost nothing makes for easy clean up. Ha! Hope you have a lovely week ahead!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  5. What beauty you have created!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just perfect! I love every inch of your sweet cottage. I have a little cottage too. Like your cottage, ours needed a lot of TLC...so much so that my daughter actually cried when we bought it as she thought it was so ugly! Now we all love it and can't imagine living anywhere else. Thanks for sharing your story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it fun to rescue an old unloved cottage, Shirley? Your home is so lovely now, it's hard to imagine anyone crying about it being ugly.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  7. I loved the tour, and the photos. We once bought a little holiday cottage, it was awful, but ,like you, I could see the potential, we ripped out all the mirror tiles lining the entire bathroom!! the chandelier lights in every room, put wallpaper on, I made patchwork curtains and we called it " Patchwork cottage" Hugh made a huge vege garden there and we had the best spinach ever. We finally sold it to a single man, who was going through a very tough financial time.But the one thing I laugh about the most, the tiny concrete front deck was so dirty, when Hugh water blasted it, he made the words," Merry Christmas" through the grime.Love the hollyhocks, I have them here, and our daughter had magnificent ones by the front deck when they had their wedding at their own home.The pine trees, what a work load to plant them all, but the rain, they thrived, as you both do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds adorable, Jean! Ha! Patchwork cottage sounds like the perfect name for you. We did just the opposite and sold our main home and kept the holiday cottage. Hope you are feeling better and doing lots of quilting!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  8. It's just LOVELY!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every where looked amazing a beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! It's been fun putting the gardens together with free "gimme" plants. When I go for my daily walk, I take note of any flowers I like in the neighbor's yard and when they go to seed, I collect them and grow my own. Now there's a tip you won't find in Martha Stewart. Ha!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  10. If you haven't done so already, read the Stillmeadow books by Gladys Taber. I think your house and garden is awesome. Stay well. Barb in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Barb, I'm a fan of Gladys. I even wrote a
      post about her here:

      http://hopeandthrift.blogspot.com/2016/12/december-9th-gladys-taber-christmas.html

      Used to search out old Family Circle magazines at auctions and estate sales just so I could read her Butternut Wisdom columns. She certainly had a way with her words! As a matter of fact, the highest compliment I give my writer friends is to tell them something they wrote is very Taber-esque!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  11. Lovely cottage and garden! It must give you lots of joy knowing that it is the result of all that work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I can't get over, Sharon, is how much the landscape has changed in just a decade. No one would ever guess that only ten years ago those tall pine trees were only twigs. Nature is remarkable, isn't it? Stay cozy!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. You're so sweet to be willing to do the tour. No worries about the wait! I think I have read almost all your posts. I get to nap time, coffee in hand and relish all your tid bits and stories. I'm pretty picky with what blogs I read, it has to have the right amount of charm, everyday simplicity, and realistic ( if you know what I mean).

      Delete
    3. Brooke, I'm so honored that my little blog is part of your day! Words cannot say how much. My blog might not be the fanciest or the most informative, but it's probably the "realest". Ha! Warts and all! Have a lovely weekend. We're hoping for rain.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  12. Oh! Thank you Jane! When I got our baby down for his nap I was thrilled to see this post up. So inspiring. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Brooke! I'll try to get the inside tour done soon. Right now canning equipment and guitars have taken over every square inch of the house. Summer = clutter around here!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much Jane for taking us on a wonderful tour of your yard and telling us little stories as you showed us around.
    You've made a lovely home with all of your efforts.
    I find it's so rewarding to be resourceful and find a way to make the home we want by being patient and creative. Often things come to us for very little money or even for free - things no one else wants. I know for me that has been the case.

    Like you I have a funny fence story. My neighbor was having a fence replaced and as I was driving by I saw the old fence stacked up on the ground. I couldn't stop thinking about it so I walked over to the house and asked the workman what he was going to do with them. He told me he'd already sawed the sections in half and was headed to the dump.
    Of course, I took those sawed-in-half wooden picket fence sections home with me.
    And they now run across the back of my yard.
    What about posts, you ask?
    I already had them - I saw them at a different house laying out for a trash pickup a couple years before and carted them home. I knew I would use them. lol

    Thanks for sharing your story,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You and I are kindred spirits, Debra! My big dream is to build a complete house from just things being thrown out or bought for cheap at garage sales. Although there's been few garage sales this year, I've already seen claw foot tubs, new windows, lots of antique doors, Bennington brown antique door hardware and wood flooring and a couple of wood stoves with the chimney. If a person had a place to store stuff, I believe they could build a house very inexpensively.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Jane, I once saw an article in "Country Home" magazine where a fireman did this very thing for his young family. The fire dept would practice putting out fires at condemned homes (carefully setting a fire first), but he would first ask to strip the homes of things he might need in his construction. So, he collected windows, doors, flooring, bricks etc. He built a pole barn in which to store everything until he built. Land was donated by family, and they built a new, gorgeous "old" home on the cheap. What they loved was that the home looked old, it was rock solid and all the mechanicals were new. I was fascinated by this!

      Isabella

      Delete
    3. Doesn't that sound like the most fun, Isabella? I would have liked to seen that article. If you're interested in those sort of things, check out Fluty Lick Homestead on YouTube. The young man restored an old log cabin that was barely standing and fixed up old mechanicals that were being thrown out. He's very clever and his home is just beautiful.

      HUgs
      Jane

      Delete
  14. Love the pictures!
    Your house is beautiful with the roses and flowers. And wow your garden is so neat and orderly with the cute fence. What a lovely home! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! We were away for the day today and we returned home more roses were in bloom. It made me heart give a little leap of joy. I was worried with all this hot dry weather we were having the buds would just dry up before opening.

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete
  15. I was thrilled to see this tour of the outside of your home. It is so pretty! I can see why it has inspired many. You have worked wonders with your little cottage and the property!

    Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You've all worked wonders on your home. You have inspired me. We love the 1920 Ohio home we live in but I wasn't too excited about living in a gray house. I will add more foliage to make it more inviting.
    So glad you're posting again!
    Will be sending you photos of the quilt I finally finished from the wool you sent so long ago. :)
    Blessings, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Leslie!I think gray and yellow is a lovely combination. If I lived farther north, I'd train some on a trellis on the front of my house. Unfortunately, I can't find a yellow climbing rose for my zone. Can't wait to see the quilt. I'm sure you did a beautiful job. Hope all is well with you and your wonderful family!

      Hugs
      Jane

      Delete